• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Echo

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
changing backstory is not new for the Marvel universe... they basically have done it for every superhero in their universe... and this too doesnt seem like a bad one as they emphasize her culture by doing so...

Ms Marvel was very egregious change... but it worked because they emphasized her Pakistani muslim heritage..

I watched about 5 minutes of that and immediately turned it off

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched about 5 minutes of that and immediately turned it off

thats too bad... i thought Ms Marvel was the clear best of all the Disney+ shows...

But the point is still that they have changed a lot of back stories and powers, to fit cultural backstories... or to not have to explain other things...

throughout the Main cinematic universe, Tony stark took over plots that were originally meant for Hank Pym and Mr Fantastic...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so her backstory in this show is bullshit?
From the write ups I have seen about her comics-version, her powers (and the name “Echo” comes from this) is that she is a mimic. She sees someone perform a fighting move and she is instantly an expert at that move. In the comics, the whole mystic maternal-line power does not exist.

In the comics, Fisk is more involved with her training as a child. In the show, Fisk sees her as a kindred spirit (she has anger issues and actually joins in on kicking the shit out of the ice cream vendor) and legit takes an interest in her, but her father is still in the picture, so he still stays in the background.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fine.

Better than most the marvel garbage right now. A solid cleanser pre DD which is what everyone cares about. Good to see the MA type of show that DD will hopefully do even more of

Biggest issue with it is that it was only 5 episodes all relatively short but at the same time it was kinda slowly paced. Not a great combo. But like I said it was fine.

Cannot wait for DD especially with the news they finally wised up and are bringing Foggy and Karen back.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fine.

Better than most the marvel garbage right now. A solid cleanser pre DD which is what everyone cares about. Good to see the MA type of show that DD will hopefully do even more of

Biggest issue with it is that it was only 5 episodes all relatively short but at the same time it was kinda slowly paced. Not a great combo. But like I said it was fine.

Cannot wait for DD especially with the news they finally wised up and are bringing Foggy and Karen back.

was definitely a weird series... not sure who the target is... Marvel has done a great job bringing in youth... this is not a good show for children at all... as you said, too slow and too much subtitles...

I think they lost themselves in this series... they tried too hard to do right to the native people that they were afraid to make an actual story...

nothing happened, there was no big fight scene at the end... Kingpin basically just decides to leave... sure it was because of Maya's new special super power... but still...

overall it was a fine show... but that is all,.. it will be forgetable as soon as you finish the 5 episodes...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was definitely a weird series... not sure who the target is... Marvel has done a great job bringing in youth... this is not a good show for children at all... as you said, too slow and too much subtitles...

I think they lost themselves in this series... they tried too hard to do right to the native people that they were afraid to make an actual story...

nothing happened, there was no big fight scene at the end... Kingpin basically just decides to leave... sure it was because of Maya's new special super power... but still...

overall it was a fine show... but that is all,.. it will be forgetable as soon as you finish the 5 episodes...
The whole Choctaw origin story definitely had a Black Panther feel, but I haven’t seen that talked about much elsewhere. I bring this up because this show, if nothing else, furthers the consistent narrative of how the mystic MCU operates. It works well with Thor 4, MoonKnight and BP.

And a I stated earlier, the “woke” stuff in this show actually fit the story, so it didn’t feel as shoe-horned in as the other instances in the MCU (the “you go gurl” pose in Endgame was the worst) and thus, didn’t feel nearly as preachy.

But I 100% agree. The story itself really didn’t need to be told. It was pointless. It had the weight of a web-series (meaning having no weight at all, only existing to add flavor to the overall universe).

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole Choctaw origin story definitely had a Black Panther feel, but I haven’t seen that talked about much elsewhere. I bring this up because this show, if nothing else, furthers the consistent narrative of how the mystic MCU operates. It works well with Thor 4, MoonKnight and BP.

And a I stated earlier, the “woke” stuff in this show actually fit the story, so it didn’t feel as shoe-horned in as the other instances in the MCU (the “you go gurl” pose in Endgame was the worst) and thus, didn’t feel nearly as preachy.

But I 100% agree. The story itself really didn’t need to be told. It was pointless. It had the weight of a web-series (meaning having no weight at all, only existing to add flavor to the overall universe).
But the way it was told was too bad. They could have showed Maya and her sistercousin relationship more. But they used the grandma and grandpa as main characters to do nothing but promote the heritage.

I just think they could have done so much more.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the way it was told was too bad. They could have showed Maya and her sistercousin relationship more. But they used the grandma and grandpa as main characters to do nothing but promote the heritage.

I just think they could have done so much more.
And Grandma’s anger maya’s father was misplaced. Yes, he was involved in criminal activity, but that activity had nothing to do with her daughter’s death. That was just a tragic car accident.

And they kept dancing around the edges with Maya’s relationship with her sister/cousin. It always felt like they were foreshadowing something, but they never really delivered on that. Yes, she was there at the end for the ancestor fight, but she was there incidentally more than anything.

I agree that the show was worthless. But as worthless as it was, it was still better than almost everything MCU has produced since Infinity War (GotG3, Loki1, Loki2, Hawkeye and MAYBE MoonKnight are probably the only works that are better, though I enjoyed Eternals more than most)

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats too bad... i thought Ms Marvel was the clear best of all the Disney+ shows...

But the point is still that they have changed a lot of back stories and powers, to fit cultural backstories... or to not have to explain other things...

throughout the Main cinematic universe, Tony stark took over plots that were originally meant for Hank Pym and Mr Fantastic...

When they remake things like this it seems like they totally fucked with it and it is ridiculous

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the series was pretty weak. I like Echo in the comics, but I did not like Echo in this TV series. Her personality is completely different from in the comics. Also wish they kept Maya's powers from the comics. I feel the MCU has screwed up both of their copying characters (hated what they did with Taskmaster in Black Widow).

And Grandma’s anger maya’s father was misplaced. Yes, he was involved in criminal activity, but that activity had nothing to do with her daughter’s death. That was just a tragic car accident.

I think you missed the hospital scene after the car crash, because it wasn't an accident. After the car crash, in the hospital, Maya's father tells Maya's grandmother that he found who cut the brake lines and killed them. The whole reason that Maya's father then moved to New York City with Maya was to avoid further retaliation.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the series was pretty weak. I like Echo in the comics, but I did not like Echo in this TV series. Her personality is completely different from in the comics. Also wish they kept Maya's powers from the comics. I feel the MCU has screwed up both of their copying characters (hated what they did with Taskmaster in Black Widow).

I think you missed the hospital scene after the car crash, because it wasn't an accident. After the car crash, in the hospital, Maya's father tells Maya's grandmother that he found who cut the brake lines and killed them. The whole reason that Maya's father then moved to New York City with Maya was to avoid further retaliation.

I didn't mind them changing the powers... similar to Ms Marvel, they changed the power to represent their culture... which I think is better than representing something else... like Ms Marvel in the comics is Inhuman...

Echo doesn't really have powers in the comics... but her skills are based on how she is Deaf... Id rather them base her powers on her culture than on her being deaf...

its a nice way to show representation... Yes, it would have been nice if they did more with her deafness... it was more of an aside than anything else...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mind them changing the powers... similar to Ms Marvel, they changed the power to represent their culture... which I think is better than representing something else... like Ms Marvel in the comics is Inhuman...

Echo doesn't really have powers in the comics... but her skills are based on how she is Deaf... Id rather them base her powers on her culture than on her being deaf...

its a nice way to show representation... Yes, it would have been nice if they did more with her deafness... it was more of an aside than anything else...
I think they should have made her powers deaf-related. Bypassing that link makes her disabilities nothing but woke-nods. Daredevil is blind. But he turned that into his superpower (granted, with the aide of radioactive sludge). But having a blind character rely on their other senses to become bad ass is empowering. By ignoring Maya’s “issues”, it doesn’t empower anyone and doesn’t speak to those issues. Ignoring them is just lazy writing.

Par for the course for Disney and the MCU recently, unfortunately.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should have made her powers deaf-related. Bypassing that link makes her disabilities nothing but woke-nods. Daredevil is blind. But he turned that into his superpower (granted, with the aide of radioactive sludge). But having a blind character rely on their other senses to become bad ass is empowering. By ignoring Maya’s “issues”, it doesn’t empower anyone and doesn’t speak to those issues. Ignoring them is just lazy writing.

Par for the course for Disney and the MCU recently, unfortunately.

I agree that they ignored her deafness and they should have done more with it... her powers in the comics are based on her being deaf...

wouldn't have been too hard to do either...

But I do like that they focused on her Native American heritage with the powers... even if the powers manifested into a boring anti-climactic boss fight..

its the same thing with Ms Marvel... but it worked so much better for her... when you are the representation of a people, you should represent them...

I think that Marvel just got a little lost with what to do with her deafness so they just ignored it... or might I say it fell on deaf ears...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There might have been a dubbed version for those that could not keep up with the words on the screen. I'll check later and get back to you.