• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eating Crow

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it sounds like the Hack-a-Dwight strategy might not have been such a good idea.

[MEDIA=twitter]157719689383002112[/MEDIA]

Well, so much for that. I don't foresee Larry Riley blowing this up solely for draft picks. He wouldn't be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of his labor. So what exactly does Top 7 protected mean? Do we have to wait until the ping pong balls drop or do the Warriors have to be the seventh worst team in the league to keep the pick?

Last edited by a moderator:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, so much for that. I don't foresee Larry Riley blowing this up solely for draft picks. He wouldn't be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of his labor. So what exactly does Top 7 protected mean? Do we have to wait until the ping pong balls drop or do the Warriors have to be the seventh worst team in the league to keep the pick?

It's all about the lottery.

The Warriors could be the team with the most wins in the lottery, but if they have one of the top 3 picks, they get to keep it.**

Or they could be the fifth worst team in the league as far as wins go and finish with the 8th overall pick. In that case, they lose the pick.****

Most likely the Warriors will have to finish with one of the 5 or 6 worst records in the league to have a legitimate shot at keeping their pick this season. But it all boils down to the draft.

**In that theory, having the most wins in the lottery means they could only finish in 14th place or in the top 3. There are 14 teams in the lottery. They are ranked in reverse order of wins and then the lottery starts. Every team has a shot at the top 3 spots. But if you're the team with the most wins in the lottery and your number is not picked, you get the 14th pick.

****In this case, a team with the fifth worst record in the league could conceivably fall out of the top 7. What that would mean is that all three lottery balls picked would have to be teams with better wins records than the Warriors, but it is possible.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, Cam. And apparently, the pick is top 7 protected in 2013, too. It's top 6 protected in 2014, then reverts to second round picks in 2014 and 2016. I realize he didn't negotiate the current state of this pick, but seriously, what was Chris Mullin thinking?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks, Cam. And apparently, the pick is top 7 protected in 2013, too. It's top 6 protected in 2014, then reverts to second round picks in 2014 and 2016. I realize he didn't negotiate the current state of this pick, but seriously, what was Chris Mullin thinking?

Well, you have to remember that his first official act as GM of the Warriors was to lay that albatross of a contract on Adonal Foyle. So I would have to say that he wasn't thinking much at all. The guy also chose to build around Dungleavy and Murfee.

While he was a great player, he was a terrible GM.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you have to remember that his first official act as GM of the Warriors was to lay that albatross of a contract on Adonal Foyle. So I would have to say that he wasn't thinking much at all. The guy also chose to build around Dungleavy and Murfee.

While he was a great player, he was a terrible GM.

I wanted him to do well so badly. In other news, one of my buddies is already calling Klay Thompson by Dungina 2.0. Too soon? Definitely. Somewhat apt? Certainly. We both hope he is wrong. Also, a number 11 pick has a lot less expectations than anyone in the top 3.