• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

EASIEST COACHING PATHS TO THE PLAYOFF

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is information taken from ESPN's college football page.

EASIEST COACHING PATHS TO THE PLAYOFF

i
1. Texas
One of the wealthiest, most visible brand-name programs in the country wants for nothing -- and unlike Florida State, it doesn't have to navigate through a conference title game. Right now it's in a catch-22 situation. Texas has to win to own the state in recruiting again, but it has to get the recruits to win.

i
2. Florida State
The Noles can own and have owned the ACC, with Clemson being their most difficult hurdle. The combination of first-class facilities, in-state recruiting and available salary money makes this one of the most desirable jobs for a coach aspiring to reach the playoff.

i
3. Ohio State
The East Division isn't easy, but it's manageable, and the Big 33 recruiting turf and financial security -- along with the incredible support and facilities -- puts this brand-name program on the fast track to the playoff. It's easy to sell the program that has been the flagship of the conference for more than a decade.

i
4. Oklahoma
With no conference title game to trip over, the Sooners have one of the easiest paths to the playoff, not to mention the facilities and financial resources to recruit players and pay coaches.

i
5. Clemson
It's on par with the SEC as far as recruiting and facilities, but has an easier league to navigate. The program has the resources and salaries needed to recruit and coach a top-four team.

i
6. USC
When this storied program is at full strength -- without scholarship limitations and postseason penalties -- there's nothing in the way of a top-four ranking. Its pipeline of players to the NFL is proof.

i
7. Notre Dame
The Irish control their strength of schedule and can now sell an ACC bowl lineup to recruits.

i
8. Georgia
The Bulldogs have owned the state, and while Florida has to contend with FSU (and dreadful facilities), Georgia has had the upper hand in the series against Georgia Tech. Everything is in place for a title run.

i
9. Alabama
The program oozes money and tradition, luring the best players in the country. It's ranked low because of a grueling SEC West schedule and conference title game to navigate through.

i
10. LSU
Much like Alabama, the Tigers are the epitome of SEC success, able to cherry-pick recruits and pay for the best coaches in the country. The biggest obstacle is LSU's own conference schedule.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOUNDS RIGHT what about oregon, guessing recruiting angle

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their opinion was good news/bad news for OU. Good news: we should skate into the playoff on a regular basis. Bad news: we won't as long as we have a DC who couldn't coach a dog to scratch and we don't have reliable receivers. The consolation is our biggest rival is facing their own issues. Misery loves company.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neat, got to think all those teams will indeed be in the mix for the national title next year.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting list and idea, but I don't like that it only talks about generalities. There isn't any mention of schedule for example, and Goldbug has pointed out staff issues that other teams may be facing. What about teams that were strong last season with a bunch of returning players? I'm surprised this was on ESPN rather than Bleacher Report.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can Alabama have one of the easiest paths since they are in the "toughest division in college football by a longshot"? Shouldn't they have one of the toughest paths?

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to get into a whole conference debate for the zabillionth time, but the PAC South is right there with the SEC West.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easiest path completely ignores the pressure of scheduling

TEXAS cannot get away with 3 powder puffs. It is under immense pressure (just like other premier name schools) to play high profile games.

The Horns have to schedule teams like USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU, and Michigan to satisfy the boosters.

A team like Baylor can get away with 3 FCS teams and no booster will care...

The same applies to other big name schools like Bama, FSU, USC, Nebraska...etc

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easiest path completely ignores the pressure of scheduling

TEXAS cannot get away with 3 powder puffs. It is under immense pressure (just like other premier name schools) to play high profile games.

The Horns have to schedule teams like USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU, and Michigan to satisfy the boosters.

A team like Baylor can get away with 3 FCS teams and no booster will care...

The same applies to other big name schools like Bama, FSU, USC, Nebraska...etc

The sad thing is these Baylor honks might actually prove that playing a bunch of cupcakes can pay off for them. That would be a sorry sight to behold if they ever get into a playoff after playing Ryder Truck Driving Academy and Cyrus T. Clement's School of Applied Fertilizer Science in nonconference games.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad thing is these Baylor honks might actually prove that playing a bunch of cupcakes can pay off for them. That would be a sorry sight to behold if they ever get into a playoff after playing Ryder Truck Driving Academy and Cyrus T. Clement's School of Applied Fertilizer Science in nonconference games.
Well stop letting those honks win your conference. That's two years in a row now.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stop letting those honks win your conference. That's two years in a row now.

Good point. Actually Baylor didn't just beat us; they kicked the shit out of us 41-12 in 2013 and 48-14 last year. They better be worried though because we're scoring more points on them every year.:L

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Actually Baylor didn't just beat us; they kicked the shit out of us 41-12 in 2013 and 48-14 last year. They better be worried though because we're scoring more points on them every year.:L
Problem is, so are they.

I was a little upset when Michigan got a TD on us this year. We gifted it to them.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hornsstampede2.0

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but...

Here we go again with the “legend in your own mind” posts.

In the 17 seasons of the so called BCS + era (1998-2014)
Texas is 49-10 in OOC games in the regular season.
Only 4 were AP ranked with all 4 in the top 10 (1-3).
Only 17 of those 59 opponents were majors (9-8)
and only 9 of the 17 had winning records (4-5)!

Of the remaining 42 games, one was against an FBS team, 27 were against non-majors WITHOUT winning records (i.e., 0.500 or lower), and 14 were against nonmajors WITH winning records.

So....of the 59 games only 24 were against opponents with winning records (1 FCS, 14 were NONmajors and 9 were Majors). Over that same span Baylor has played 7 Major opponents with winning records.

And

The last time you played OSU in the regular season was 2006.
The last time you played Notre Dame in the regular season was 1996.
The last time you played USC in the regular season was 1967.
The last time you played LSU in the regular season was 1954.
Texas has NEVER played Michigan in the regular season.

In the past 60 seasons, UT has played ND 2x, OSU 2x, USC 4x, LSU 0x, and Michigan 0x.
If 8 games in 60 seasons satisfy the UT boosters then the UT boosters are indeed easily satisfied.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go Florida State bt far

It will never happen imo. The committee will not put Baylor in over another conference champion that plays at least 1 ooc opponent with a pulse.
They(Baylor) screwed the Big12 last year and unless they either stop winning the conference or the members vote them out it looks like they are fine with simply trying to be bowl eligible for a weed whacker bowl and never worrying about having national championship aspirations.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the past 60 seasons, UT has played ND 2x, OSU 2x, USC 4x, LSU 0x, and Michigan 0x.
If 8 games in 60 seasons satisfy the UT boosters then the UT boosters are indeed easily satisfied.

What the hell does the past 60 years have to do with COLLEGE FOOTBALL playoff pathways?
This was a discussion about pathways to the playoff (in existence since 2014).
Games that were played 30 years ago have no freaking bearing on the path to the playoffs for any program.
Texas OOC In the era of college football playoff:
2014- UCLA
2015 - ND
2016- ND
2017 -USC
2018 - USC
2019 - LSU
2020 - LSU
2021 - Ohio State
2022 - Ohio State
2023 - Michigan
2024 - Michigan

Imagine that, the exact teams I listed earlier.