• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eary Season Surprises and Disappointments

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players:

Talib - Has taken his game to a higher level - perhaps the top CB in the league in the first two weeks.
McManus - Has completely taken the anxiety out of the kicking game - bravo for him!
D. Stewart - Obviously a ball hawk and a play maker (already in two games has made more impact plays than Rahim Moore did in any season - and I liked Rahim Moore as a player).
D. Ware - Nobody expected the 25 year old D. Ware to show up this season - he was good last season, but looked on the downside of his career - this year he has been vintage D. Ware.
Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan - really the surprise here is that both came back from injury and begin the season at a very high level of play.
Wade Phillips - The surprise here is just how well Phillips has jelled with the players who were already in place here - or to put it another way - just how badly JDR misused the talent he had.
Ronnie Hillman - okay - this guy was given up for dead prior to the season - now he is the RB who provides a spark.
Denver Bronco's team character - this bunch who showed up dead asleep at the wheel in two consecutive playoffs - now appears to have the heart of a lion.
Von Miller - The surprise here is not so much his talent on the field, but his leadership and dedication to the game (if D. Ware gave him that - D. Ware is worth twice what he is getting paid).
Paradis - Want to watch a thing of beauty? Paradis -who is still green at his position - blocks on the second level like a Bull running the streets of Pamploma - his true position may end up as OG - because he is a terror on when pulling out.
Shaq Barrett - Talk about a diamond laying around as an UDFA - he has been a monster on special teams and shows up in the offensive backfield all the time.
Manny Sanders - After last year - his performance is not a surprise - what is surprising is just how dynamic, inspiring and important his play has become to this offense. He should be the vertical threat, but who would have thought he would be automatic on 3rd down?

Disappointments:

CJ Anderson - How could this guy finish last season the way he did - and start this season off the way he has? He must have some kind of injury - he is playing through - he is not making people miss on nearly the scale he did last year - and seems a step slower.

Mathis - Certainly the disappointment with his play -carries with it the caveat that he is coming back from injury - had conditioning issues - and coordination issues with his fellow Olinemen, but his play has been weak enough - that suggesting Max Garcia would have done better is not out of the question.

Wolfe - One of my favorites for quotable comments and steady team play - got his butt suspended for 4 games -with the lamest excuse.

Peyton Manning - I'm really only truly disappointed that Manning - who can execute the bootleg pass very well - can't set his feet to make the throw at the end of the play - any better than my 3 year old granddaughter. It has been open every time it is called.

James Casey - Maybe Casey is just more of a mystery than a disappointment, but where is he? Did he come on to Manning's wife or what? He is non-existent in the offense -when Peyton is out there - is it all because he dropped the one pass Manning threw to him in the pre-season? I was really looking forward to watching him in the run game - and on the outlet pass - not to mention his great history in the red zone.

Owen Daniels - I didn't expect J. Thomas numbers out of him, but I did expect a lot more production - still hasn't really clicked with Manning yet - he had much better seasons with the Texans and the Ravens - than his start this year.

V. Green - I really don't think anyone is set up to make plays down field better than Green - he has 4.5 speed - he is a great blocker and the can lineup in lots of different places on the field coming out of the huddle - and he isn't even the number 1 TE threat the defense has to worry about in the Bronco offense - he should be open anytime the Broncos want him to be.

Cody Latimer - His first pre-season with the Broncos he made a highlight reel block and had a Beckham like catch in the endzone - yet can't play well enough to get snaps during live action? Another mystery - along with a disappointment.

Other thoughts?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny Sanders - After last year - his performance is not a surprise - what is surprising is just how dynamic, inspiring and important his play has become to this offense. He should be the vertical threat, but who would have thought he would be automatic on 3rd down?

I thought when we picked him up Whattttttt? 6'4 for 5'10 stupid why ?????????? Well Elway and most fans were happy I was not .. I will give my self credit I thought why not cut Welker and keep ED .. Still like that wayyyy better ..

Still Sanders Rules I drool ....lol some times I hold on to players when maybe I should give other a chance ..

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say you pretty much covered everything. I would give a " thank god " for Manny V on the O line as well.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo covered it all. Not sure I expected much more than what James Casey has given us though. I wasn't sure he would make the team when we signed him.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been impressed with David Bruton at the safety spot - and really, Stewart too ... Both these guys have played excellent

On the other hand

While it was only one game, and rust is to be expected, I was disappointed with Ward

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Bruton's performance in the Defense has been a pleasant surprise. Missed him.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 80% " Survivor " contestants just lost in wks 2 thanks to the Saints, I mean Aints. Including yours truly :(

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo covered it all. Not sure I expected much more than what James Casey has given us though. I wasn't sure he would make the team when we signed him.

James Casey is the difference between the Kubiak offense and the commitment to the run and the Manning offense which is pass oriented. Manning insists on 3 WRs - so two TEs are out and FB and HB also are not in use - therefore - the Bronco run game is not fully committed as it would be in the Kubiak offense. The pass still has to set up the run.

I'd like to see some sets with Casey in with Manning - or else the Broncos are wasting the roster spot. Does Casey exist on the roster only because he fits with Osweiler - if Osweiler has to go in?

In my mind - this is pretty much why Manning under center - without a FB doesn't work - it takes away a lot of options in the run game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Casey is the difference between the Kubiak offense and the commitment to the run and the Manning offense which is pass oriented. Manning insists on 3 WRs - so two TEs are out and FB and HB also are not in use - therefore - the Bronco run game is not fully committed as it would be in the Kubiak offense. The pass still has to set up the run.

I'd like to see some sets with Casey in with Manning - or else the Broncos are wasting the roster spot. Does Casey exist on the roster only because he fits with Osweiler - if Osweiler has to go in?

In my mind - this is pretty much why Manning under center - without a FB doesn't work - it takes away a lot of options in the run game.

Casey to me is a good depth guy in that he can play the FB/TE position while also being a big time stand out on Special Teams. Every where he has gone he has been one of the top special teams coverage guys. This honestly was the part of his game that has kept him in this league and why so many teams were interested in him and wanting to sign him.

As for players I am disappointed in maybe the biggest one for me is actually Vasquez. He is supposed to be the leader of this OL and kept talking about how they were going to crush people all off season and yet he and Mathis both have maybe been the two worst on the OL so far for us. I think I have seen Vasquez in 2 games get beat more times than his entire 2013 season combined. Hopefully this 10-day window we have had has been huge for this OL.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are missing our bully on the OL. Beadles was that, then Franklin. Who is gonna step up and shove someone around when they hit our QB? Someone on the OL needs to be pissed that Manning is going to the ground. Beadles and Franklin were hockey like enforcers. Not sure we have that on this team.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuper before them

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casey to me is a good depth guy in that he can play the FB/TE position while also being a big time stand out on Special Teams. Every where he has gone he has been one of the top special teams coverage guys. This honestly was the part of his game that has kept him in this league and why so many teams were interested in him and wanting to sign him.

As for players I am disappointed in maybe the biggest one for me is actually Vasquez. He is supposed to be the leader of this OL and kept talking about how they were going to crush people all off season and yet he and Mathis both have maybe been the two worst on the OL so far for us. I think I have seen Vasquez in 2 games get beat more times than his entire 2013 season combined. Hopefully this 10-day window we have had has been huge for this OL.
To tell ya truth I've been so focused on Sambrillo and Mathis when I watch gms and replays,that I just figure Vasquez is doing his job well like he always has. Maybe I need to spread the criticism. I just take Manny as a given.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dissppointment: That I didn't know about this secret hideout. ;)

And now all is truly right with the world.

Glad you made it, Ben. :)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you ben

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Ben. That is my bad. I haven't talked to ya in awhile and forgot about ya since it has been awhile since you posted at KFFL. I would have eventually hit ya up on facebook. :)