• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Earl Bennett

C

cubzzzfanincali

Ok.......This is my take:

to save some money for some more free agents would be great.......

While I don't really agree with the rest of your post, this comment interested me. Like, who exactly? The two positions on the defense we most need (strongside linebacker and safety), there's really no one I'd want left. I guess Jared Allen could be signed, but personally I don't think he's worth the cost he would cause to future salary caps that we'd have to sacrifice to pay his salary. That's just me though, probably everyone else on this board wants him signed.

Looking at the remaining free agents, there's really no one I'd want that badly. Except for Brian De La Puente at center, but the Bears seem to be just as addicted to Roberto Garza as I am addicted to wanting him off the roster.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.......This is my take:

Jay cost us 22.5 on the cap? Did I read this right?
Now this is the best offense the bears possibly ever had(hard to tell unless you wanna dig deep in the different eras and thats for a different story right now).
So if they could restructure his contract already,into which I guess would be stupid being the ink has not dried yet,to save some money for some more free agents would be great.......
I don`t wanna hear that we are building this defense for the future,the future is now with this high powered offense we have.We don`t need to let it go to waste.We have no idea what 2015 season is gonna bring.We need that defense to step up right now if you ask me.
We are a couple of players away from it.
We don`t need a top 5 def,top 12 I would think could get us there tho.But with Seattle,SF and carolina as elite defenses,we may have to match that.I really think our offense cam`t score enough points against those teams and we know our def was horrible........
If jay wants a ring here,and if asked,he needs to be a team player and restructure his deal now rather than wait.......

It's my understanding that they did this on purpose- Jay get's that guaranteed money no matter what. That's his contract. But they structured it this way-
A. because they had the money this year.
B. Don't have to worry about it in future years (like Peppers' deal he was cut because it would have cost too much. In Jay's case, you know you want to keep him in this first year of the deal. NOW if they kick it down the road- Example- say they turn 10M into a signing bonus, but don't apply it to the cap until the 5th year of the deal. And that year Jay tears his ACL/MCL and sucks... the team would still be on the hook for that money against the cap- but would cut him. Damaging the cap then)

C

cubzzzfanincali

oh you know what, there is one guy there. I'd like them to sign Parys Haralson to play strongside LB. I wonder if something is physically wrong with Haralson or if he just wants more money than he is worth.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh you know what, there is one guy there. I'd like them to sign Parys Haralson to play strongside LB. I wonder if something is physically wrong with Haralson or if he just wants more money than he is worth.

cubzzz- I pretty sure that it's either going to be Bostic or SheaMac at Strong Side LB. Not ideal but that's what we got. I'm curious to see what Shea can do- he's on his last leg with me, NOT a DE...but he's still cheap on his rookie deal and is an athlete... given some space and creativity I can see something out of him.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my understanding that they did this on purpose- Jay get's that guaranteed money no matter what. That's his contract. But they structured it this way-
A. because they had the money this year.
B. Don't have to worry about it in future years (like Peppers' deal he was cut because it would have cost too much. In Jay's case, you know you want to keep him in this first year of the deal. NOW if they kick it down the road- Example- say they turn 10M into a signing bonus, but don't apply it to the cap until the 5th year of the deal. And that year Jay tears his ACL/MCL and sucks... the team would still be on the hook for that money against the cap- but would cut him. Damaging the cap then)

They will move the money where they need it. If they hit on the draft and dont pick up anyones cuts in august, they can pay jay as much as they can. If the miss on the draft and go after cut veterans, it could end up moving money sooner, just not as much. But yeah, if Hardy was not franchised, the bears could have moved that cutler money to get that 10 million to him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

cubzzz- I pretty sure that it's either going to be Bostic or SheaMac at Strong Side LB. Not ideal but that's what we got. I'm curious to see what Shea can do- he's on his last leg with me, NOT a DE...but he's still cheap on his rookie deal and is an athlete... given some space and creativity I can see something out of him.

God, Shea is absolutely the worst possible choice for a strongside backer. He couldn't defend the run WITH HIS HANDS ON THE GROUND, and he's supposed to man that spot standing up? Shuddering in fear. Shea's main virtue is his pass rush, and that's usually not the job of a strongside LB...your blitzing LBs are usually weakside and MLBs. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

I'd rather see Bostic try it, but man, I'm not hugely convinced he can play that spot either.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, Shea is absolutely the worst possible choice for a strongside backer. He couldn't defend the run WITH HIS HANDS ON THE GROUND, and he's supposed to man that spot standing up? Shuddering in fear. Shea's main virtue is his pass rush, and that's usually not the job of a strongside LB...your blitzing LBs are usually weakside and MLBs. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

I'd rather see Bostic try it, but man, I'm not hugely convinced he can play that spot either.

Me too. Let Bostic play... Maybe draft a LB or pick someone up after the June 1st cutoff.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't really agree with the rest of your post, this comment interested me. Like, who exactly? The two positions on the defense we most need (strongside linebacker and safety), there's really no one I'd want left. I guess Jared Allen could be signed, but personally I don't think he's worth the cost he would cause to future salary caps that we'd have to sacrifice to pay his salary. That's just me though, probably everyone else on this board wants him signed.

Looking at the remaining free agents, there's really no one I'd want that badly. Except for Brian De La Puente at center, but the Bears seem to be just as addicted to Roberto Garza as I am addicted to wanting him off the roster.

Anthony Spencer?

Robert Ayers?

Not sure.....but i think one more d-lineman will help.........

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only difference is he is actually seeing what is happening. That is the biggest change when they put his hand down, you see the tackle, guard, maybe some feet going by when his entire college career playing linebacker it was upright and watching the offensive movement.Those are things you just cannot see when your hand is down and waiting for contact by the lineman to see which way they are trying to push you and knowing you need to go the other way.

I dont think anyone was as relieved as Shea when he heard he was going back to linebacker.

I give him the benefit of the doubt until he cant play linebacker either. I never considered him an end, so hopefully he gets back to the player that was probably picked a little early in the first round, but still easily a late first or early second round pick. I still wouldnt mind seeing him try to play the middle.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The only difference is he is actually seeing what is happening. That is the biggest change when they put his hand down, you see the tackle, guard, maybe some feet going by when his entire college career playing linebacker it was upright and watching the offensive movement.Those are things you just cannot see when your hand is down and waiting for contact by the lineman to see which way they are trying to push you and knowing you need to go the other way.

I dont think anyone was as relieved as Shea when he heard he was going back to linebacker.

I give him the benefit of the doubt until he cant play linebacker either. I never considered him an end, so hopefully he gets back to the player that was probably picked a little early in the first round, but still easily a late first or early second round pick. I still wouldnt mind seeing him try to play the middle.

Vision is not as important as leverage for run defense. It simply isn't. Leverage is everything, and it was the precise thing he struggled with in the first place, and now we are making that worse. His issue wasn't that he was getting blindsided. It's that he can't beat big men. He can't. He is quick and elusive, but that's useless when you are in the middle of the point of attack. I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt as to the strongside. He's an OBVIOUS liability. If I am an O coordinator, I build my whole game plan around him if he is the strongside linebacker.

Shea might be able to play the middle, or the weakside, but the Bears roster already has other candidates. That is the only reason anyone is talking about him at strongside. It's a mistake.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I have to believe that no matter what Emery says, that the only way we actually go into 2014 with him as the Sam is desperation. But make no mistake....if we go into the season essentially 10 versus 11 on defense, it doesn't matter what else we do, our defense will suck. Again.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Weems isn't an ace anything....he won't be missed by anyone...guys like weems are a dime a dozen at this point in his career. ..and at his price he isnt worth it

To each their own, I think he's a STs ace. Best kick coverage guy we've had since Graham left.
Also saw a lot him playing WR this year, When BM & AJ needed a breather .
I agree he needs to take a cut in pay. But he adds value to this team.
I think Gould & the new punter would miss him. Along w/myself.