• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles vs Bears Monday Nighter

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that. I said that saying someone will be successful (he has "IT") because he has something abstract and subjective (he has "IT") is illogical.

It's plenty logical. You just can't measure it. And that scares you, from an analysis perspective.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't see the difference between Wentz in his first 2 starts and what you usually see out of a rookie signal caller in their first couple of starts then I don't know what to tell you. Only rookie QB in history to win first 2 starts with 0 Int's or turnovers; and not just that, but off the jump he's calling his own protections and audibles (dude looks like P Manning out there shouting out instructions and lining everybody up in the right spots) ... and he basically skipped the preseason aside from 1/2 of one game.
I think you're seeing a combination of Wentz's work ethic and Dougie's game planning. Pederson is doing a great job giving Wentz favorable looks (even when the defense has a chance to hide what they're doing, the formation/personnel is getting them to tip their hands). Wentz's athleticism helps a bunch, but I think that one of the great changes we're seeing this year is that the rest of the players are responding to a gameplan that adjusts for their particular strengths, rather than asks them to do what coach says because the system works.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's plenty logical. You just can't measure it. And that scares you, from an analysis perspective.
It doesn't scare me none. It just means nothing to me.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think he will be a good quarterback. But I think he will be based off 3 TD/ 0 INT, 60.6% completion rate, and a 94.1 QBR, not some bullshit "IT" factor that collectively means nothing to everyone; and something different to anyone

LOL at using QBR (that has subjective analysis built in it) and also whining about an IT factor. I'm laughing at you, omar.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at using QBR (that has subjective analysis built in it) and also whining about an IT factor. I'm laughing at you, omar.
You're right, I'm out of my element when it comes to football. I'm a baseball guy. So I didn't/don't know what goes into QBR, I had always thought it was based on objective statistics. But I do know the IT factor is bullshit.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, I'm out of my element when it comes to football. I'm a baseball guy. So I didn't/don't know what goes into QBR, I had always thought it was based on objective statistics. But I do know the IT factor is bullshit.

Actually if you meant QB rating, and not QBR which is ESPN's made up stat, then I am laughing less. And you did mean QB rating since that is 94.1 for Wentz on the year.:suds:

The IT factor is basically people's perception of a player's poise. I think poise is real even though you can't objectively measure it. Sure it varies person to person. And there is no harm in that.

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That ball needs to be thrown in the endzone too. Wentz shorted it.
Yeah I meant to point that one out and the throw into the endzone to Celek that got knocked away he needed to put a touch more air on that one. Ive noticed that he throws a flat ball in certain situations where it calls for some arc to it -- but that will come with more reps.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I meant to point that one out and the throw into the endzone to Celek that got knocked away he needed to put a touch more air on that one. Ive noticed that he throws a flat ball in certain situations where it calls for some arc to it -- but that will come with more reps.
I may have missed that throw, but he also missed one to Burton where he threw it behind Burton. Again, getting reps at game speed will make a difference, but I think we're seeing a degree of passes Wentz could get away with against FCS opponents that are now easily defensed by NFL defenders.

I'm not worried about it, so long as he's not missing those throws come next season.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears guy made a heck of a play on that Celek route. You could also argue that if he throws it a half second earlier it is a TD. He'll get better... :nod:

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We probably won't be able to sign Jeffrey. He makes $11M/year, plus he may get franchised.

I can definitely see DJAX coming back next year though.
Do we want Jackson or do we want a physical WR? I would rather have the latter since we have some speedsters on this roster right now. We need a big WR1

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have missed that throw, but he also missed one to Burton where he threw it behind Burton. Again, getting reps at game speed will make a difference, but I think we're seeing a degree of passes Wentz could get away with against FCS opponents that are now easily defensed by NFL defenders.

I'm not worried about it, so long as he's not missing those throws come next season.
Yeah I think I remember the Burton throw (edit: that was the one around the 4-5 min left in the 2nd), all Qbs even great ones are going to miss some, under throw some, etc .. I just noticed that one tenancy for a certain type of throw where its too flat .. but as you said it will hopefully get cleared up with more reps. The Celek throw was right before the first field goal on the first drive.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was also pretty good defense. Putting that over the top means you have to throw it that much more perfect. I think I would have tried to laser it in there too. I just would have thrown it higher.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And he locked onto Matthews instead of hitting Burton on the first drive. He's made plenty of small mistakes, but man is there a nice base to build from there.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think he will be a good quarterback. But I think he will be based off 3 TD/ 0 INT, 60.6% completion rate, and a 94.1 QBR, not some bullshit "IT" factor that collectively means nothing to everyone; and something different to anyone

The "it" factor is just another way of saying that a player has a bit more special quality than others. Obviously it's not something tangible ... but again, all you have to do is watch this kid to know he's more ready than most QB's starting off. Credit too goes to the coaching staff who's done an excellent job of game planning ... but ultimately it's up to the player pulling the trigger to execute. As far as stats go ... we've seen a bunch of flags and drops negating great throws. Wentz play has been better than the stats show. He will eventually struggle at some point as "all" rookie QB's do ... but in 2 to 3 years I can absolutely see him being one of the top 5 best QB's in the league if he keeps improving.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "it" factor is just another way of saying that a player has a bit more special quality than others. Obviously it's not something tangible ... but again, all you have to do is watch this kid to know he's more ready than most QB's starting off. Credit too goes to the coaching staff who's done an excellent job of game planning ... but ultimately it's up to the player pulling the trigger to execute. As far as stats go ... we've seen a bunch of flags and drops negating great throws. Wentz play has been better than the stats show. He will eventually struggle at some point as "all" rookie QB's do ... but in 2 to 3 years I can absolutely see him being one of the top 5 best QB's in the league if he keeps improving.
If you can't measure or explain it, why talk about?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes one QB better than another? Montana did not have the greatest arm, he was not real fast, but he had IT. He knew what to do in crucial situations in order to get his team the win. Roman Gabrial had a cannon for an arm, he was big, strong, could run, but he did not have the IT factor. He was good, but not good enough. The IT factor is at all levels. Sometimes it does not carry up to the next level. Fortunately for us, it looks like Wentz may have IT.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There definitely is a factor called the "IT". Too bad you don't get it. Just saying.