• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dynasty 1

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys are so hung up on rounds, who cares what round it was, the draft is over, the values are meaningless now
Exactly. If I have a high round guy underperforming, and consistently, I can't expect a high round player that is performing in return. It's crazy to expect that. Just bc somebody "wasted" a pick on said player doesn't mean his value will always be that. And conversely, drafting a guy low doesn't mean that's the value he should get in a trade. Performance trumps all in a trade IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys are so hung up on rounds, who cares what round it was, the draft is over, the values are meaningless now
We prolly won't work out any deals unless you're losing in the rounds you don't care aboot.

Cuz I care aboot draft position. It's set a value for me. Especially before a season starts.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. If I have a high round guy underperforming, and consistently, I can't expect a high round player that is performing in return. It's crazy to expect that. Just bc somebody "wasted" a pick on said player doesn't mean his value will always be that. And conversely, drafting a guy low doesn't mean that's the value he should get in a trade. Performance trumps all in a trade IMO.
The games are a long ways away. So kind of crazy to be talking about someone's high pick under performing. It's more about someone's expectations that someone will under perform and when someone pick a player in say round 4 and you pick someone in round 6, kind of hard for the guy that picked in round 4 to say...oh yeah your right that guy you picked in round 6 is better then the player he picked in round 4.
Now once games start being played that changes, but in the off season you need to respect what round a player was pick when making a offer, geez that should be obvious.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of hard for the guy that picked in round 4 to say...oh yeah your right that guy you picked in round 6 is better then the player he picked in round 4
I don't think it's hard at all. Some older guys were picked later than they would be in a redraft league strictly bc younger guys may have greater value in a dynasty league. Doesn't mean that player is better.

I'm simply agreeing with SP. I think people get hung up on rounds too much. Past performance and current performance should be factors in a trade, more so than draft position IMO.

Now I'm not saying draft position plays zero part in a trade, just that there's more value placed on it than I place on it. Jmo.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's hard at all. Some older guys were picked later than they would be in a redraft league strictly bc younger guys may have greater value in a dynasty league. Doesn't mean that player is better.

I'm simply agreeing with SP. I think people get hung up on rounds too much. Past performance and current performance should be factors in a trade, more so than draft position IMO.

Now I'm not saying draft position plays zero part in a trade, just that there's more value placed on it than I place on it. Jmo.
Micro, in the offseason it's all about draft position. If I wanted the player you picked in the 6 th round and your trying to trade him heads up for the player I picked in the 4th round. The first thought in my mind would be, if I wanted that player I could have picked in the 4th or 5th maybe even in the 6th if I picked ahead of you, why in the hell would I do that deal?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now some times a owner may realize he screwed the pooch at drafting a position and make allowances. If for example you got nothing but backups at RBs, you swallow hard and take your medicine in a deal for RB, but that's the exception.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micro, in the offseason it's all about draft position. If I wanted the player you picked in the 6 th round and your trying to trade him heads up for the player I picked in the 4th round. The first thought in my mind would be, if I wanted that player I could have picked in the 4th or 5th maybe even in the 6th if I picked ahead of you, why in the hell would I do that deal?
There's many reasons. Maybe you were reaching for someone. Maybe you were trying to fill a void at a position you were weak in. Maybe your time was almost up(again I'm talking other leagues as well). Maybe you simply want that player that was selected below you bc you've read more about him and like what you're hearing.

Like I said, there's many reasons.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's many reasons. Maybe you were reaching for someone. Maybe you were trying to fill a void at a position you were weak in. Maybe your time was almost up(again I'm talking other leagues as well). Maybe you simply want that player that was selected below you bc you've read more about him and like what you're hearing.

The reasons would be the exception. I'll give you there are exceptions, even listed one, but for the most part in the offseason you need to pay attention to where a player was drafted when offering up a deal. Otherwise expect to get the finger.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love to hear the details to this offer. SP falls under the heading of screwing the pooch at RB in the draft, so I for one would love to hear which RB Trudem is offering and at what cost.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love to hear the details to this offer. SP falls under the heading of screwing the pooch at RB in the draft, so I for one would love to hear which RB Trudem is offering and at what cost.
I've made it known that everyone is available

In this case it's Charles

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also made him him a smaller offer with a different RB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've made it known that everyone is available

In this case it's Charles
Your willing to accept Ellington as someone you count on for the whole season? I'm shocked. Surely it can't be any of his other RBs.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reasons would be the exception. I'll give you there are exceptions, even listed one, but for the most part in the offseason you need to pay attention to where a player was drafted when offering up a deal. Otherwise expect to get the finger.

I'm with Micro and Steelers on this one. I like ADP for a guideline when I'm drafting but nothing more. And it goes without saying that I don't always follow it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to get in on this. Sent you a offer @Trudem . Not sure it was wise, but whatever.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Micro and Steelers on this one. I like ADP for a guideline when I'm drafting but nothing more. And it goes without saying that I don't always follow it.[/QUOTE

And how many offseason trades have you made? Not just this league, but any league.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! My brilliance has made Harold speechless! :)