• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Duke @ SU - Keys to Getting the Win

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For SU to win....jonvi's take.....

1) The Boards. SU has to win the battle on the offensive boards. I concede the defensive glass, that's just SU and the zone. But SU can't let Duke win the boards at both ends. SU will need all the second chance shots they can get.

2) The Zone. The SU Zone has to make Duke work for every shot and make them use the entire shot clock. But that's the problem when facing Duke. Duke has already taken on stingy offenses and come out on Top. Both Pitt and Virginia's offenses are in the top 20.

3) The Cooney. Everyone is in love with Ennis and Fair. And now, midway through the season, Grant has become the SU poster child for the lottery. Yes, those three must show up and get theirs. But IMO, Cooney is the man who will decide the game. If he returns to the mid 40s to 50 percent from 3, Duke is toast. If TC continues at the 20% he has been shooting since ACC play began, SU will be run out of their own gym. Cooney must shoot above 33% from 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke has to hit a high perecent of their 3s. if they don't it will be a blowout

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For SU to win....jonvi's take.....

1) The Boards. SU has to win the battle on the offensive boards. I concede the defensive glass, that's just SU and the zone. But SU can't let Duke win the boards at both ends. SU will need all the second chance shots they can get.

2) The Zone. The SU Zone has to make Duke work for every shot and make them use the entire shot clock. But that's the problem when facing Duke. Duke has already taken on stingy offenses and come out on Top. Both Pitt and Virginia's offenses are in the top 20.

3) The Cooney. Everyone is in love with Ennis and Fair. And now, midway through the season, Grant has become the SU poster child for the lottery. Yes, those three must show up and get theirs. But IMO, Cooney is the man who will decide the game. If he returns to the mid 40s to 50 percent from 3, Duke is toast. If TC continues at the 20% he has been shooting since ACC play began, SU will be run out of their own gym. Cooney must shoot above 33% from 3.

I would say that you are on target with your analysis. In addition, for Duke to win:

Boards: at least come close to Syracuse in the number of boards. That is how they win; by dominating the Offensive glass. Jefferson and Hood are a little quicker than Keita and Christmas so they have to get inside position. Plumlee has to use his size and bust up Christmas and move him out. Someone has to put a body on Grant and that won't be easy. IMO, Grant will have a big day.

Break the zone: Parker has to roam inside at the foul line to either take his shot or pitch it outside to Quinn or Dawkins; both great 3 point guys. Parker is the key and like Grant will be difficult to defend against.

Transition: Duke is quick and has to use that speed to get the ball down court before all 5 guys show up and set up a zone.

IMO, Duke is the better shooting team and Syracuse has a better defense. This could be the game of the year as there is a lot of people talking about this game and with 35,000 New Yorkers there, hostile environment takes on a new meaning. We all know how obnoxious New Yorkers can be...:lol: Anyone who camps out in the snow waiting to sit in that barn has to be crazy.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke has to hit a high perecent of their 3s. if they don't it will be a blowout

I agree. IMO to do that though, Duke will have to win something inside.

SU usually comes out in their standard zone protection and as the other teams starts to knock down shots with open looks, SUs D adjust to shut that down. Duke will knock some 3's down, but without them winning something inside the paint, I don't see them getting many open looks from 3.

Coleman and Keita must lock down the paint. Win that battle and I think SU's wings and guards will make shooting from 3 a tough way to go all game long.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. IMO to do that though, Duke will have to win something inside.

SU usually comes out in their standard zone protection and as the other teams starts to knock down shots with open looks, SUs D adjust to shut that down. Duke will knock some 3's down, but without them winning something inside the paint, I don't see them getting many open looks from 3.

Coleman and Keita must lock down the paint. Win that battle and I think SU's wings and guards will make shooting from 3 a tough way to go all game long.

Coleman in street cloths should be no threat....:lol:

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#BeatDuke

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow so coach K on college game day said EXACTLY what i have been saying all along about the coach boeheim & coach K relationship and meeting up in a game being unprecedented.

oh trolly :laugh3:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happens this is going to be an epic game. Should be a preview of the ACC tourney final.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Duke shoots like they did vs Pitt then Cuse could be in trouble.

Cannot let Parker, Hood and especially Dawkins get good open jumpers. They will make them, a lot.

Also can't forget about Suliamon. He hasn't be consistent this year but he will can some J's too.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow so coach K on college game day said EXACTLY what i have been saying all along about the coach boeheim & coach K relationship and meeting up in a game being unprecedented.

oh trolly :laugh3:

Oh, and you believe a coach who's trying to give himself "outs" before a big game. I bet you believe it when coaches say they aren't leaving for a better job too. Poor naive little boy.

And plenty of coaching/assistant "been good friends for ages" matchups have happened in the past. K and Boo Boo Kitty Fuck certainly know more about each other's teams than the average random coaches but to act like this is unprecedented (your word) is just silly.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe there isn't a game thread. This is a helluva game and electric atmosphere.

If the Orangemen limit Dook's 2nd chance points they'll begin to pull away...what is that 14 now?

Go Cuse!!

Midwest2k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant believe im pulling for "deep breath" Duke. 2nd time in a decade..I feel dirty

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Dickie V used to tell Carolina when they would play Duke in the early 00s, "get out of that zone!".

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game so far... Jefferson picking up #4 may be the difference down the stretch.

Can't believe I am rooting for Duke...but oh well.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant believe im pulling for "deep breath" Duke. 2nd time in a decade..I feel dirty

I should be, but just can't find it in me to cheer for that program. Maybe if they were playing ohio state....

Oh yea, cheered for Dook last season. :yahoo:

Tied at 56... Fair jams it. The Cuse are up by a basket.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair's going off. Dook's in foul trouble. Eight and a half to go. Three point game. I like the Cuse in this one.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair is 11/17 from the field. ...sheeeeet.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, Duke has put up 29 threes, and is now starting to hit.