• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Duce Staley Interviewed for HC spot

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully only to fulfill the Rooney rule.

Either that for Lurie is goin the cheap route

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta get that Rooney Rule out of the way!

I think it's going to be Sean McDermott fellas.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was a Rooney Rule interview, then Lurie, Roseman and Donehue acted disgracefully.

It also means that Hue Jackson is off the table, which would be a shame.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eek!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the token interview out of the way early.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Duce promoted to offensive coordinator under an offensive guru like Hue Jackson, but to jump to head coach would be a big jump.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably is nothing more than a Rooney rule thing, but it's hardly disgraceful. Its smart to get that out of the way early and also smart to spend some extended time with Duce before everyone splits town. Duce has been a long time good player and coach with the Eagles and stands a good chance of being retained in one capacity or another. It raises Duce's profile to be interviewed as well so its good for everyone.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was a Rooney Rule interview, then Lurie, Roseman and Donehue acted disgracefully.

It has no bearing on Hue Jackson. Get serious! Duce wants to at least go though the process so he can become a serious candidate n the future. It's good on his resume.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has no bearing on Hue Jackson. Get serious! Duce wants to at least go though the process so he can become a serious candidate n the future. It's good on his resume.

Had not thought of it that way...

But why worry about the Rooney Rule when you want to interview Hue Jackson (who, AFAIK is black). Or does it only count when there is an actual interview?

I think Duce should first try his hand at being an OC. Not too many position coaches make the jump to HC successfully... Andy could well be the last one (and he was a QB coach). I would guess an interview for the position of OC - for which he seems to be a far more suitable candidate - would actually work better, since that would be an interview for a job for which one was seriously considered, rather than a RR interview for a position that you are extremely unlikely to get.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably is nothing more than a Rooney rule thing, but it's hardly disgraceful. Its smart to get that out of the way early and also smart to spend some extended time with Duce before everyone splits town. Duce has been a long time good player and coach with the Eagles and stands a good chance of being retained in one capacity or another. It raises Duce's profile to be interviewed as well so its good for everyone.

Well put and I do this it was good for Duce. Plus, lets not forget Andy Reid was the Quarterbacks coach at Green Bay when we hired him. So Lurie has gone down the none coordinator route before. I personally would love to see some of the older Eagles players involved more with this team. Who knows somestimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't If Lurie finds the others he is interviewing are on the same plan at Duce why not hire him.

All that said it was to satisfy the Rooney Rule :)

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had not thought of it that way...

But why worry about the Rooney Rule when you want to interview Hue Jackson (who, AFAIK is black). Or does it only count when there is an actual interview?

I think Duce should first try his hand at being an OC. Not too many position coaches make the jump to HC successfully... Andy could well be the last one (and he was a QB coach). I would guess an interview for the position of OC - for which he seems to be a far more suitable candidate - would actually work better, since that would be an interview for a job for which one was seriously considered, rather than a RR interview for a position that you are extremely unlikely to get.

Maybe they want to hedge their bet in case that Hue is not interested.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden or McDermott. That they would satisfy the rule so fast makes it like they're going to pull the trigger early. Firing Chip early backs that up. Me thinks Lurie already has his guy.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden or McDermott. That they would satisfy the rule so fast makes it like they're going to pull the trigger early. Firing Chip early backs that up. Me thinks Lurie already has his guy.

Would your guess be that it's Sean, with Shurmur the OC? That way he wouldn't have to break the bank, and even if it doesn't work, it gives him 3 more years before naming another coach.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe that Lurie has thought this through and already has a plan that could happen very quickly. Otherwise why be in a hurry to fire Kelly? If he was planning a long exhaustive search and waiting for an OC or DC in the playoffs to be available then I think he may have waited a week to fire Kelly with a little more decorum.

But one of the big factors is putting together a new staff and your best jump starting the process if you can. Makes me think that Payton may seriously be in play along with Brees.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time ever!!! I agree with something you said!

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz I agree...I think they already have their man. Firing Chip early, satisfying Rooney Rule Quickly, all signs point to they already have their guy....I think it may be Gase.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously there is no way Duce is gonna Jump from position coach to a head coach, but I do think it is cool how the eagles are taking care of one of their own. This allows Duce some experience of going through the head coaching process for in future endeavors. Also seems to me ensures Duce that he wont be getting fired with however many other coaches on the eagles. Lets him rest easy. Also makes me wonder if the Eagles have plans on moving him up the rankings of coaching, like coordinator or something higher than position coach. In any case. I do think it is cool they are looking out for one of their own :thumb:

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? Duce just had his first ever professional HC interview. If nothing else, it prepared him for the future.

I also don't understand why an interview with Duce eliminates Hue Jackson. Chips gone; they're allowed to talk to more than 1 minority!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz I agree...I think they already have their man. Firing Chip early, satisfying Rooney Rule Quickly, all signs point to they already have their guy....I think it may be Gase.

Hope so. That would be a major coup!
Why? Duce just had his first ever professional HC interview. If nothing else, it prepared him for the future.

I also don't understand why an interview with Duce eliminates Hue Jackson. Chips gone; they're allowed to talk to more than 1 minority!

Exactly!

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's Gase. I don't think we fired Chip just to negotiate with someone who's still coaching.

We knocked Duce out fast and we're going after someone monday morning. We're probably already negotiating with Sexton.