• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Strengths Fit Ram Needs

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first choice is Wiz though. I doubt Fisher will want a rookie at center.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure. Erving is the only true power blocking center of the top prospects.

Yeah, I can see that. Here is my only concern. I would not want to reach on Erving in the teens of the first round compared to getting Dismukes, Grassu, Gallick or even BJ Finney later for more value. If the Rams trade and they only drop to say 13, you are not taking Erving over Peat, Collins or even Cooper or Devante Parker. Just my opinion

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he take a pay cut when his salary was obviously below fair market value. not realistic. The Eagles paid him and had to give us picks. I guess Dallas should have paid Murray more to keep him but they didn't. does that mean they are a bad team to play for? no its just a business for both parties involved.

Once again, you don't get it, Dallas couldn't sign both Murry and Bryant, they made the right choice, you don't just stumble on WR's like Bryant. As SJ has already said, no running back has a had a good year after carry the ball as many times as Murray did this last year. Dallas has a good oline and can find an above average RB to replace Murray. That is o where near the comparison yiu are trying to make!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Fisher will want a rookie at center.
This point is what I keep going back to when thinking about the offseason. Robinson is already a bit of a question mark due to his age and play last year. Putting literally anyone else young on the oline is a massive risk when Foles is on a 1 year deal.

I think Id be much happier if those bench press numbers for Scherff or Collins were 6-10 reps higher, too.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can see that. Here is my only concern. I would not want to reach on Erving in the teens of the first round compared to getting Dismukes, Grassu, Gallick or even BJ Finney later for more value. If the Rams trade and they only drop to say 13, you are not taking Erving over Peat, Collins or even Cooper or Devante Parker. Just my opinion

Understood, but IMO taking a guy that doesn't fit your system isn't ever good value. I would take Erving over a G personally, as I don't think there is that big of a gap between at least the top 5 G prospects. Of course, I would try to trade further down to do so.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now our starting line is

T's Robinson and Baker
G's Safford and Washington
C Jones.
Back ups Bond, Rhaney and Barnes(?)

The fact that I have never heard of Steven Baker is not the end of the world but isn't such a good thing either. Until some OL is signed, the top priority has to be Tackle, Center and Guard. After those 3 positions, we still need depth at Tackle, Center and Guard.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the best thing about him is he can play all 3 positions on the line too.
At this point he better be able to play all 3 at once, otherwise we need a true Tackle.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I have to disagree with taking Cooper/White! It just makes no sense, I think a lot of you are blinded by the sexy skill position pick!
I think our WR Corp is pretty good as it is, if you want to take a WR, take him very late. Over the past 10 drafts 38 WR's have been taken, I think 7 have made it to the Super Bowl, one of them (Harvin) was traded to get there! And of those 7 Ted Ginn, Crabtree,Meacham and Harvin aren't even that good! than, not even half of those 38 have even made it to the playoffs!

There were some stud WR's taken in the first round, Calvin Johnson, Bryant,AJ Green, J. jones, Fitzeralds, but overall the rest are just average to maybe good WR's. Of the studs only Fitz has helped take his team anywhere.

San Francisco took 2 Olineman in the first round in 2010, both started and are still starting, they also took Staley in first round of 2007, they had a pretty good oline. Jets took 2 Olineman in round 1 in 2006, freguson/Mangold started from day one and played many years!

Yes WR is sexy pick, oline is boring pick, but that's what we need, we don't "need" another WR that "maybe is average to good. Is Cooper/White as good as Calvin, Fitz, Dez, Green, or Jones, I don't think so, so we would be getting a good WR that is going to do how much better than anyone we have out there now?

Oline, oline, oline oline, I don't care if we pick oline with every pick. If we pick at least 4 and 2 start right away, we will be so far ahead of last year with Robinson doing well and Saffold and Barksdale and two rookies that play at least average! Some of you are to worried about having to many first and second year players starting, well The Jets and SF proved it is possible. Coaches do their homework there is no reason why we can't have 2 rookies that can step right in! It makes more sense than thinking a WR is going to help us improve that much?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more concerned about value. Don't draft an OL early just because it is a need if it isn't good value at the pick. Holes should be filled in free agency ideally, with the draft used to add talent in general. Ideally, the Rams will still add to the line in free agency.

What O-lineman is worth the #10 pick that there isn't a very close equivalent available in the 2nd or 3rd round? We're not looking for a LT, we're looking for a guard and (potentially) a RT. Those aren't typically early 1st round picks. The center position is pretty sketchy in this draft, with the only guy (Erving) worthy of a 1st round pick has only played the position for half of one season.

In terms of WRs, if you don't have one that draws a double-team, you don't have a #1 IMO. Nobody on the Rams draws double coverage.

We're all aware that the o-line needs attention. The Rams shouldn't reach for linemen however.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smed - I love your passion! Of course, I'm in the WR (more accurately value) camp with Shopson.

Smed, let me put it this way. I would be very comfortable drafting a WR in the second/third round if we had the Packers or Steelers GM. They are are the best at evaluating WR's as the proof is in the pudding. Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, DaVante Adams, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, etc. for the Packers. Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Martavious Bryant (the Clemson kid) for the Steelers.

Last year's draft produced a first rate class of Round 1 WR's. Sammy Wadkins, Kelvin Benjamin, etc. that are only going to get better.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, here is my humble opinion on how Snead should approach the first 3 rounds of this draft.

Option 1: (the option that is the best for the Rams IMO) Draft Brandon Scherff then trade down in round 2 to gather a couple more picks and still get another interior o lineman and maybe a combo ILB/OLB or CB/FS combo guy (Eric Kendricks or PJ Williams)
Option 2 If Scherff gets picked in the first 9 picks (and he might by Wash or NYG) then look for a trade partner (and there WILL be plenty) and move down a few spots and draft either Peat, Collins or Clemmings. Do not reach on Erving in round 1. Hope he is there in round 2.
Option 3: If Scherff is gone and there are no trade partners worth making a deal with, look at whichever of Cooper or White is still there at #10. If you pick them, you can then dangle Chris Givens to get more picks in the late rounds.

To me, those are the ONLY options that make sense for the Rams and for once they are all GOOD options.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick was starting to come around as a good WR, he and Britt really didn't play together that many games. They now have a legit QB, they both are young, and they both have good size. Not many teams have 2 starting WR's with that size! With Bailey/Austin as our 3rd WR, that will only help Quick/Britt.

Fisher supposedly wants to run the ball more, so how many more catches will these rookies have that Quick/Britt wouldn't have? We are improving,we will improve even more with a couple good young Olineman, how much do we improve with a WR that may
or may not catch as many passes as the WR we already have?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know how healthy Quick will be though, and he's only signed through this upcoming season.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Britt was only signed to a two year deal for a reason - only about 4 million guaranteed. Nobody else offered him more than that.

Quick can become a free agent after the season.

Our WR corps needs a boost for next year and the future. We don't have a true #1 that has to be doubled teamed at this point like the Cowboys have in Dez Bryant. Hopefully, Quick and Britt will become true #1's.

In the meantime, at pick #10, the Rams have a shot at an elite WR like White/Cooper/Parker that was available to Buffalo and New York last year when they took a shot with Watkins and Beckham, respectively. I don't believe we could get either now if we offered this year's #1 or Scherff for them!

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction - Quick should be a restricted free agent next year!