• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't pay (or Overpay) for Speed.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much less of this talk would be going on if he didn't come to the Yankees.

I look at it as its not my money so I don't give a shit. Its not my luxury tax so I don't give a shit.

Do I think they over paid, sure, but it makes them a better team now. They can deal with the future when it gets here.

To tell you the truth I didn't like the McCann deal either. Would have rather seen AJ here on a 1 year deal with an option. Then after each season check in on Sanchez's progress.

Thats just me.

Or maybe take Hamilton or Pujossssss's contract and try to get Trout (I know pipe dream).

That is correct, but part of that is becuase not many can overpay like the Yankees.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His older brother is helping my girlfriend and I move her out of her apartment this weekend.

How cool. Maybe Mike can come to, under the auspice of it being a part of his offseason workout routine?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abso Friggin Lutely!!

This is why I think the Sox will be okay with Jackie Bradley Jr. The kid already has shown fine on base ability. In the minors, his BB:K ratio was excellent. He will have some growing pains, but in the end, I think he will produce an OBP around .370.

I'm sorry, but everytime I see that name, I think of this guy -

th

a.k.a, Jackie Rogers Jr. a.a.k.a Martin Short.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh -

The Red Sox have agreed to terms on a two-year, $9.5MM contract with right-hander Edward Mujica, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Mujica, who is represented by Octagon, will take a physical today, according to Passan.
Mujica, 29, possesses some of the best command of any pitcher in the Majors. He issued just five walks in 64 2/3 innings this season to go along with 46 strikeouts and a 2.78 ERA. Mujica entered the season buried on St. Louis' bullpen depth chart but ascended to the role of closer. Jason Motte underwent Tommy John surgery, Mitchell Boggs flopped and the Cardinals elected to deploy rookie Trevor Rosenthal in a setup role. The end result was Mujica notching 37 saves for the Redbirds, though he wilted down the stretch and was a complete non-factor in the playoffs.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has claimed that the contract was a good one... And i definitely understand why the Redsox let him go as a free agen(never really planned on resigning him)... Ellsbury is one of the best speed guys in baseball, and should continue for at least a couple seasons... as long as this signing was not a cano replacement, then Ellsbury will help the team... If they sign cano, then the Yankees will have an elite offense again...

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite Yankee "line in the sand" was when they told A-Rod that if he opted out of the final years of his original Texas contract with the Yankees after 2007, that they would not re-sign him. As we all know, not only did they re-sign him, but they gave him an even more ridiculous contract that they are crying about now. The cherry on top was the $6mm bonuses for when A-Rod moves up on the all-time HR list. :lame:

I truly believe Cashman meant what he said and got overruled.

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How cool. Maybe Mike can come to, under the auspice of it being a part of his offseason workout routine?

If he was involved I am sure he would just pay someone to do it haha.

His family is really nice. I have never met him, but my girl grew up with his older brother in NJ.

His older sister lives 4 hours down from her parents now and they just built a new house. Great backyard, went to a grad party there. Saw his ROY, pretty legit.

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica

By Steve Adams [December 5 at 10:51am CST]
The Red Sox have agreed to terms on a two-year, $9.5MM contract with right-hander Edward Mujica, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Mujica, who is represented by Octagon, will take a physical today, according to Passan.

Mujica, 29, possesses some of the best command of any pitcher in the Majors. He issued just five walks in 64 2/3 innings this season to go along with 46 strikeouts and a 2.78 ERA. Mujica entered the season buried on St. Louis' bullpen depth chart but ascended to the role of closer. Jason Motte underwent Tommy John surgery, Mitchell Boggs flopped and the Cardinals elected to deploy rookie Trevor Rosenthal in a setup role. The end result was Mujica notching 37 saves for the Redbirds, though he wilted down the stretch and was a complete non-factor in the playoffs.
Mujica's late-season swoon likely cost him several million dollars, as did a free agent market stuffed with closer types of relievers. Mujica, Joe Nathan, Grant Balfour, Fernando Rodney, Joaquin Benoit, Chris Perez, Kevin Gregg and Jose Veras all saved 20-plus games in 2013. The market also features plenty of former closers in the form of John Axford, Brian Wilson and Andrew Bailey (Axford and Bailey were non-tendered), further presenting teams with late-inning alternatives that helped to suppress Mujica's price tag.
Mujica will join a Red Sox bullpen that figures to be once again anchored by Koji Uehara. Junichi Tazawa, Craig Breslow and a presumably healthy Andrew Miller should join Mujica in bridging the gap to Uehara as the BoSox look to capture a second consecutive World Series title.

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki

By Steve Adams [December 5 at 10:02am CST]
The Royals have acquired outfielder Norichika Aoki from the Brewers in exchange for left-hander Will Smith, the Brewers have announced via press release. The trade was first reported last night by the folks at the Royal Revival blog ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]408455542340718592[/MEDIA]"]on Twitter[/ame]).

Aoki, 32 next month, enjoyed his second solid season with the Brewers since coming over from Japan. The lefty swinger batted .286/.356/.370 with eight homers and 20 stolen bases. Though his power numbers dipped in 2013, the former NPB batting champion has a solid .287/.355/.399 line in his two Major League seasons to go along with excellent right-field defense (+4.2 UZR/150; +21 DRS). He comes at a highly affordable rate also, as the Royals exercised a cheap $1.9MM club option on Aoki following the season. He is a free agent following the 2014 campaign.
Aoki's acquisition would seem to call Kansas City's pursuit of Carlos Beltran into question. The Royals had reportedly been one of the front-runners to land Beltran (if not the front-runner), but unless they plan on shifting Aoki to center field, his presence in right field and Billy Butler's presence at DH make it more difficult to see Beltran fitting into the plans. However, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]408630483279699968[/MEDIA]"]via Twitter[/ame]) that the Royals still plan on pursuing Beltran even after acquiring Aoki.
Smith, 24, was shifted to the bullpen in 2013 and enjoyed an outstanding breakout campaign in a half-season's worth of big league action. Smith posted a 3.24 ERA with 11.6 K/9, 1.9 BB/9 and a 43 percent ground-ball rate in 33 1/3 innings for the Royals. His ERA would likely have been lower had it not been for a fluke 18.8 percent homer-to-flyball ratio that figures to regress going forward. xFIP, which assumes a normalized HR/FB ratio, pegged Smith at 2.50 last season. Smith held opposing right-handers to a .684 OPS and stifled lefties to the tune of a .157/.204/.353 line, so he's capable against hitters from both sides of the dish.
The Royals originally acquired Smith along with Sean O'Sullivan in a deal that sent Alberto Callaspo to the Angels. He's spent most of his career as a starting pitcher in the minors, where he has a 3.85 career ERA in 231 1/3 innings. Smith won't be eligible for arbitration until after the 2015 campaign and can be controlled through the 2019 season.

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has claimed that the contract was a good one... And i definitely understand why the Redsox let him go as a free agen(never really planned on resigning him)... Ellsbury is one of the best speed guys in baseball, and should continue for at least a couple seasons... as long as this signing was not a cano replacement, then Ellsbury will help the team... If they sign cano, then the Yankees will have an elite offense again...

he is replacing Jeter in the lineup, definately not Cano. McCann may be Cano's replacement in the lineup at this point.

Aoki's speed should dissappear at 32, well according to everyone arguing about Ellsbury's speed drying up. Just wish they would have gave up Crow instead of Smith but apples to oranges.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two days ago, the Major League Baseball Players Association named former big league first baseman Tony Clark its new executive director following the tragic passing of former executive director Michael Weiner. Today, the MLBPA announced, in a second press release, that Hall of Famer Dave Winfield has been hired as a special assistant to Clark.

No word on what Winfield's job will entail really. However, if there is such a thing as a fine enforcer/collector, I think he would still be perfect for that job.

I know I would never try to cross him.......

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the better "error pages" I have seen from a website ever -

hello.jpg

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seen where the Sox signed Edward Mujica for a 2 yr/9.5M deal. Has thrown only 68 BBs in 439 IP. Sounds like a decent deal

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seen where the Sox signed Edward Mujica for a 2 yr/9.5M deal. Has thrown only 68 BBs in 439 IP. Sounds like a decent deal

As long as his performances in September were a mirage, or injury related, and he is now back from said injury. I just checked his split stats for 2013, and he went from very good to just awful in the last month.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No and I would shoot hire if we are going to go with the one time thing

u mean like this

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport: 267 mph (429 km/h), 0-60 in 2.4 secs. Aluminum, Narrow Angle 8 Liter W16 Engine with 1200 hp, base price is $2,400,000. Although the Bugatti Veyron lost the title to SSC Ultimate Aero on March 2007, Bugatti challenged the record in Germany on July 10, 2010 with the new Super Sport and the Bugatti Veyron reclaimed the title of the fastest car in the world at 267 mph. The original Bugatti Veyron had a top speed of 253 mph, priced at $1,700,000 with 1001 hp.

bugatti-veyron-super-sports-480.jpg

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as his performances in September were a mirage, or injury related, and he is now back from said injury. I just checked his split stats for 2013, and he went from very good to just awful in the last month.

Hmmmm...that part was left out of the report I saw