• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't get Too Excited About The 49ers Moving Up to #3 In The Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don’t think you can compare Fields with Watson. Watson was much more polished as a passer coming out of college. I’d compare Fields more with the cat from Buffalo; raw but super athletic with a great arm
No going to argue Watson may have played more games, but Fields isn't "raw". He completed two years as the starting QB at Ohio St., both at a high level.

If Fields was already attending camps in High School, i'd think he's "polished".

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it’s a tough one but it seems that maybe Jones fits the Niner scheme better than Fields does. I really don’t see any weakness in Jones’ game. It’ll be interesting to see what Shanahan’s thinking was once the pick is made
Yes, there are positives in Mac Jones - accuracy AND timing. Shannahan likes to run but when he does pass, he leans on RACs. If Jones is accurate plus throws with timing, the receivers can remain in stride.

While i do think Fields is the guy, not going to go ballistic if its one of the others.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its good to remain silent cause there is pick #2 before us. No guarantee who the Jets take.

There is no good reason to let out which QB we want.
The Jets will simply take their guy
Now that they traded Donaldson I doubt very much they trade out to some team looking to cut in line.
Although if Atlanta came a knocking?

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading some stuff I am not sure that any of these guys with the loss of games are going to be any better than middle of the pack QBs... I So hope I am wrong just with limited info on some I don't think the trade up was all that likely to get us a top 5 to 10 QB in a couple of years, but we will have to ride with it and Hope. Sometimes hope is the worst when you have that bad feeling. Good Luck Niners!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Jets will simply take their guy
Now that they traded Donaldson I doubt very much they trade out to some team looking to cut in line.
Although if Atlanta came a knocking?
Yeah, whomever the Jets take there is still one not far behind.

Atlanta is probably the only team the Jets would trade down to, because the Jets need to stay in QB range. IMO the odds are very low because from Atlanta's perspective, this means the Falcons really REALLY want a specific QB? If the 4th QB isn't far behind either, then why would Atlanta give up valuable draft capital?

If i'm Atlanta, i'd stay put and draft a QB, cause they can't keep paying Ryan $40M/year. One reason the 49ers moved up is because next year's class isn't good at QB. Atlanta doesn't want to fall in a bad situatin next draft, where they have to 'force' a trade up for a Goff or Trubisky.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, whomever the Jets take there is still one not far behind.

Atlanta is probably the only team the Jets would trade down to, because the Jets need to stay in QB range. IMO the odds are very low because from Atlanta's perspective, this means the Falcons really REALLY want a specific QB? If the 4th QB isn't far behind either, then why would Atlanta give up valuable draft capital?

If i'm Atlanta, i'd stay put and draft a QB, cause they can't keep paying Ryan $40M/year. One reason the 49ers moved up is because next year's class isn't good at QB. Atlanta doesn't want to fall in a bad situatin next draft, where they have to 'force' a trade up for a Goff or Trubisky.
I agree with you on the If I was Atlanta and why the Jets would only look to go that far down. That's why it's a certainty that they will take their guy at #2.
I don't see much if any need for the Niners to be sending out misinformation unless it's just about everyone talking about them at the 3 spot.

Might backfire if they don't take the crowds choice

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After reading some stuff I am not sure that any of these guys with the loss of games are going to be any better than middle of the pack QBs... I So hope I am wrong just with limited info on some I don't think the trade up was all that likely to get us a top 5 to 10 QB in a couple of years, but we will have to ride with it and Hope. Sometimes hope is the worst when you have that bad feeling. Good Luck Niners!
IMO this QB class is better than "middle of the pack", "middle of the pack" are prospects like Goff and Trubisky.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No going to argue Watson may have played more games, but Fields isn't "raw". He completed two years as the starting QB at Ohio St., both at a high level.

If Fields was already attending camps in High School, i'd think he's "polished".
Yeah, "raw" is probably not the correct word. More like not as "well-rounded" as Watson was. It seems Fields has a high ceiling but I don't see him as a "can't" miss like Watson was. I would only argue with your description of him as "polished". Look at the never ending line of "great athlete" QBs at Ohio State in the last ten years who dominated in college but busted out of the NFL quickly. They are not taught professional QB traits at OSU, it seems they simply try to win with pure athletic ability.
The list of "super athlete" QBs at OSU who bombed or failed dismally in the NFL is long and embarrassing:
Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett, Cardale Jones and Dwayne Haskins. All the same type QB who were busts in the pros. I'm thinking Fields just might do the same.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there are positives in Mac Jones - accuracy AND timing. Shannahan likes to run but when he does pass, he leans on RACs. If Jones is accurate plus throws with timing, the receivers can remain in stride.

While i do think Fields is the guy, not going to go ballistic if its one of the others.
That's what makes Jones such a perfect fit (Deebo Samuel I think led the league in that category and Aiyuk specializes in that and the best of them all at RAC is Kittle). I see more and more why Shanahan like Jones. Shanahan may be keeping his cards close to the vest on the intended pick but I'm betting its Jones. Who ever he picks better not bust out because Shanahan has staked his job on this pick. You can't give up three firsts and some others for a bust and keep your job.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with you on the If I was Atlanta and why the Jets would only look to go that far down. That's why it's a certainty that they will take their guy at #2.
I don't see much if any need for the Niners to be sending out misinformation unless it's just about everyone talking about them at the 3 spot.

Might backfire if they don't take the crowds choice
For me, doesn't seem like the 49ers are sending out misinformation? They are being silent which i agree with them doing.

If i put myself in Lynch's place, i'd go with whom i truly believe is the right choice. If it goes against crowd, then it goes against the crowd. In the end only Lynch will be held accountable (or praised), not the crowd.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, "raw" is probably not the correct word. More like not as "well-rounded" as Watson was. It seems Fields has a high ceiling but I don't see him as a "can't" miss like Watson was. I would only argue with your description of him as "polished". Look at the never ending line of "great athlete" QBs at Ohio State in the last ten years who dominated in college but busted out of the NFL quickly. They are not taught professional QB traits at OSU, it seems they simply try to win with pure athletic ability.
The list of "super athlete" QBs at OSU who bombed or failed dismally in the NFL is long and embarrassing:
Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett, Cardale Jones and Dwayne Haskins. All the same type QB who were busts in the pros. I'm thinking Fields just might do the same.
Yes, a LOT of college QB's bombed because you need even more intangibles in the NFL. Or looked another way, if you don't have enough intangibles, the NFL will eat you up. Any QB prospect can go bust, including Lawrence and Wilson.

But Fields background is almost as good as any top prospect, and not only this draft. I think its unfair to hold previous Ohio St QB's against him. A lot of schools have produced QB's that didn't make it, so do you stop drafting QB's from every school?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's what makes Jones such a perfect fit (Deebo Samuel I think led the league in that category and Aiyuk specializes in that and the best of them all at RAC is Kittle). I see more and more why Shanahan like Jones. Shanahan may be keeping his cards close to the vest on the intended pick but I'm betting its Jones. Who ever he picks better not bust out because Shanahan has staked his job on this pick. You can't give up three firsts and some others for a bust and keep your job.
No question careers are likely riding on this pick.

Shannahan should adjust his scheme a little too, he can't be too rigid year in and year out. So he'll adjust his plays to suit the strength of the QB. We fans shouldn't get too caught up of what we read, as though each QB can't adjust a little either.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, doesn't seem like the 49ers are sending out misinformation? They are being silent which i agree with them doing.

If i put myself in Lynch's place, i'd go with whom i truly believe is the right choice. If it goes against crowd, then it goes against the crowd. In the end only Lynch will be held accountable (or praised), not the crowd.
I'm just saying that there's no reason for it to come from the Niners
Shanny's pick. Lynch is there to make it happen
Unless York's making the call

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, a LOT of college QB's bombed because you need even more intangibles in the NFL. Or looked another way, if you don't have enough intangibles, the NFL will eat you up. Any QB prospect can go bust, including Lawrence and Wilson.

But Fields background is almost as good as any top prospect, and not only this draft. I think its unfair to hold previous Ohio St QB's against him. A lot of schools have produced QB's that didn't make it, so do you stop drafting QB's from every school?
But not so many in a row like the ones I named from OSU. Its the kind of QB they recruit in my opinion so I think you can look at their track record as something that might happen to Fields as well. I did see two games where Fields played well and that was Michigan and Clemson

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question careers are likely riding on this pick.

Shannahan should adjust his scheme a little too, he can't be too rigid year in and year out. So he'll adjust his plays to suit the strength of the QB. We fans shouldn't get too caught up of what we read, as though each QB can't adjust a little either.
I thought it was interesting that he said he likes to have QBs on the team who have the same strengths. It makes for an easier transition when one gets hurt. He said its too much to ask the team to switch from one style to the next. That's another reason I believe he wants Jones. I think he is the most NFL-ready of all the top QBs, though I'm not sure that is extremely important since Garoppolo will be the starter for at least this coming season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just saying that there's no reason for it to come from the Niners
Shanny's pick. Lynch is there to make it happen
Unless York's making the call
Ok, i misunderstood your post

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But not so many in a row like the ones I named from OSU. Its the kind of QB they recruit in my opinion so I think you can look at their track record as something that might happen to Fields as well. I did see two games where Fields played well and that was Michigan and Clemson
Ok

A few years ago people were criticizing "a string of QB's" under Jeff Tedford.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought it was interesting that he said he likes to have QBs on the team who have the same strengths. It makes for an easier transition when one gets hurt. He said its too much to ask the team to switch from one style to the next. That's another reason I believe he wants Jones. I think he is the most NFL-ready of all the top QBs, though I'm not sure that is extremely important since Garoppolo will be the starter for at least this coming season.
In the big picture it makes sense for the entire offensive unit to remain in sync. Asking 10 guys to change 'style' during a game, is asking for errors.

Yes, JG will be the starter this season so allowing a higher ceiling guy to gain experience is a luxury. This allows them to draft a high ceiling guy which this blockbuster trade demands.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones at #3 is a Fireable Offense

I agree with everything from this article. If they believe Jones is a better QB than Lance, Fields, and Wilson then fine move up to #6 and take him. Trading with the Eagles only cost the Dolphins a future 1st and 4th round pick. We gave up an extra 1st and changed that 4th into a 3rd. Are those extra 3 spots really needed for Mac Jones??? Who was taking him ahead of #6??? The Dolphins are clearly not hunting for a QB this year. The Bengles also won't be QB hunting. The Falcons might but with Fields, Lance, and Jones available you're still sitting pretty to land a good QB at #6.

Sure maybe another team trades with the Dolphins, but you'd have to assume they'd be doing so for Fields not Jones.

It's also a poor reflection on Kyle if he goes for a Mac Jones over a Lance or Fields just based on his history of losing to QB's like Fields and Lance. The 49ers have had little problems with QB's like Goff, Ryan, Cousins, Jones, Darnold, and even Rodgers under Shanahan. The QB's we're always losing to are the ones that can extend plays like Murray, Wilson, Mahomes, and Watson. Kyle after moving up to #3 has a chance to get his own game changing QB and if he gives that up for a system QB in Jones he's starting his own doomsday clock.