• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins hire Joe Philbin as head coach

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Joe Philbin is the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins made the decision to hire Philbin as their next coach today, multiple media outlets reported late Friday afternoon.

Philbin had been the Packers’ offensive coordinator, and his personal story overshadowed football when his son died last week. After mourning his son during the week, Philbin was there with his team at Lambeau Field on Sunday.

Now Philbin takes over a Dolphins franchise that has major question marks, particularly at quarterback. But there’s no question that Philbin is a coach who knows how to implement a strong passing game.

Dolphins hire Joe Philbin as head coach | ProFootballTalk

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flynn maybe at QB???

Really good point. I bet that's exactly what ends up happening. Either they trade for him or pick him up in FA. Sounds like a good deal for Miami. Flynn can keep the system he's used to and they can use that draft pick on someone other than a QB.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The Dolphins made the decision to hire Philbin as their next coach today, multiple media outlets reported late Friday afternoon.

Philbin had been the Packers’ offensive coordinator, and his personal story overshadowed football when his son died last week. After mourning his son during the week, Philbin was there with his team at Lambeau Field on Sunday.

Now Philbin takes over a Dolphins franchise that has major question marks, particularly at quarterback. But there’s no question that Philbin is a coach who knows how to implement a strong passing game.

I think he will sign Matt Flynn

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Bittersweet time for him now.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A decent hire, IMO, but is he ready to take on a team in as bad of shape as the Dolphins yet?

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know, This is going to be a tough Job.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A decent hire, IMO, but is he ready to take on a team in as bad of shape as the Dolphins yet?

They're not so bad. I think their dfense was third in the league against the run and they have a thousand yard rusher and a 1,200 yard receiver. They won 6 of their last 9 games. If he gets a better QB he'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, how much of a lucky bastard is Flynn? Usually FAs need to learn new systems, and new coaches... and if he goes to Miami, everything will be familiar.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, how much of a lucky bastard is Flynn? Usually FAs need to learn new systems, and new coaches... and if he goes to Miami, everything will be familiar.

I'm not sold on Flynn. I've only seen him play the one game. I think we'll get a good idea of how good he is by how hard Philbin goes after him.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that but will the lack of weapons make flynn worst?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He has weapons. One of the best receivers in the game and a running back finally getting a chance to play full time who rushed for almost 1100 yards

I have to admit, I was somewhat surprised with the Dolphins poor performance this year...

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have to admit, I was somewhat surprised with the Dolphins poor performance this year...

They did win six of their last nine though and they have a good defense. Philbin's system has been effective in GB for a while now and I think it will be in Miami as well. He is one of the most under-rated coaches in the NFL in my opinion.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on Flynn. I've only seen him play the one game. I think we'll get a good idea of how good he is by how hard Philbin goes after him.

I don't think he's elite, but he seems to be worth rolling the dice on.. (for the Dolphins). I watched him take over after Rodgers got hurt versus the Lions a year ago, and his reads were good, but his passes were off from lack of practice.. so they were too long.

Against the Patriots, he seemed to be OK, and against the Lions he got a lot of luck and a lot of great plays from his receivers to have an out of this world day. Since the Dolphins don't have a franchise QB, I'd roll the dice on Flynn if I were his coordinator, and wanted to install my offense which he already has grown up in. Unless of course, the Packers tag him and want that top 10 pick... then I'd just move on. But, pure FA QB, with familiarity and such, I think the Dolphins make that move.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think he's elite, but he seems to be worth rolling the dice on.. (for the Dolphins). I watched him take over after Rodgers got hurt versus the Lions a year ago, and his reads were good, but his passes were off from lack of practice.. so they were too long.

Against the Patriots, he seemed to be OK, and against the Lions he got a lot of luck and a lot of great plays from his receivers to have an out of this world day. Since the Dolphins don't have a franchise QB, I'd roll the dice on Flynn if I were his coordinator, and wanted to install my offense which he already has grown up in. Unless of course, the Packers tag him and want that top 10 pick... then I'd just move on. But, pure FA QB, with familiarity and such, I think the Dolphins make that move.

Not sure they'd put the franchise tag on a backup QB, would they?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure they'd put the franchise tag on a backup QB, would they?

I don't think so, but their fans seem to expect it... and, maybe that is just their ignorance. I honestly don't think it would happen, because the franchise tender for a QB is expected to be around 15 million, and they have 15 million under the cap... if they tag him, and he signs the tender immediately.. because who wouldn't take 15 million to be a backup QB for a year??.. they lose all cap space to sign their FAs. Since, as far as I know, you can never go over the cap. They'd be crippled in the FA market, until they found a team dumb enough to give them high draft picks.. since obviously they feel he is worth two 1st rounders if they franchised him, and they'd be asking for at least that much.

Honestly, I think their fans are just looking at what the Eagles got for Kolb, and expecting the same for Flynn. Without factoring in that Kolb was still under contract for a year.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think so, but their fans seem to expect it... and, maybe that is just their ignorance. I honestly don't think it would happen, because the franchise tender for a QB is expected to be around 15 million, and they have 15 million under the cap... if they tag him, and he signs the tender immediately.. because who wouldn't take 15 million to be a backup QB for a year??.. they lose all cap space to sign their FAs. Since, as far as I know, you can never go over the cap. They'd be crippled in the FA market, until they found a team dumb enough to give them high draft picks.. since obviously they feel he is worth two 1st rounders if they franchised him, and they'd be asking for at least that much.

Honestly, I think their fans are just looking at what the Eagles got for Kolb, and expecting the same for Flynn. Without factoring in that Kolb was still under contract for a year.

I think we'll see, and the rest of the league GMs will be watching, how good he is by how hard the Dolphins go after him. No way GB pays him 15 mil to sit behind Rodgers if you are correct about that price. Now Brees, I could see him getting franchised, but not Flynn.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll see, and the rest of the league GMs will be watching, how good he is by how hard the Dolphins go after him. No way GB pays him 15 mil to sit behind Rodgers if you are correct about that price. Now Brees, I could see him getting franchised, but not Flynn.

I'm going by the Football Outsiders number, they predicted 14.8mil, but it is impossible to calculate until the 2012 salary cap gets announced. They just assumed it would be 125 mil. It was 16 million for a QB a year ago under the old CBA, but this new CBA is tricky. Still, a 14 mil tag is retarded for a guy who won't be starting...

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going by the Football Outsiders number, they predicted 14.8mil, but it is impossible to calculate until the 2012 salary cap gets announced. They just assumed it would be 125 mil. It was 16 million for a QB a year ago under the old CBA, but this new CBA is tricky. Still, a 14 mil tag is retarded for a guy who won't be starting...

Agreed. I don't think there is a player on the 49ers making even close to that money