• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins Draft Options at 19

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many drafts have the Fins selecting Z Martin. It's an understandable choice. He potentially meets a need at RT or guard. I watched his combine performance & in a word he looked "smooth" in running his drills. I think he's quick & technical enough to handle speed rushers most of the time as a RT. He's strong enough to run block. But what if he's gone at 19 or maybe you're thinking that a quality olineman should be available at 50. Who would you pick from these guys if one of them were available; ILB CJ Mosely, TE Eric Ebron, or best player available at another position?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mosely...no way Ebron is there at 19

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go O line, Martin. If he is gone, Mosley, Pryor or Clinton Dix, Jerigan or Nix. I think those are the need positions. Hopefully they don't waste another 1st round pick with stupid ass pick

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hickey & other Fins' staff have done well to put the team in position to not to have to reach for a player especially if the team gets the RT that they want at pick 19. The Palm Beach Posts discusses the Fins' interest in OT C Kouandijo of Bama. The guy has good size to be a NFL RT at 6'7 322lbs. He can be overpowering to defenders as a run blocker when he's healthy. I think he'll be there at 19 because of his injury history & the depth in this draft at OT. He's still young & could recover well from his knee problem ( if he's not already fully recovered) He worked hard at his pro day at Bama to show his knee & endurance aren't issues. The article states that Misi may be switched to MLB, which makes sense. It's possible that Ellerbe & Wheeler have good years this year at LB. I like C Borland as a 3rd round pick if he's still available for depth, he's undersized but he's a tackling machine. With the 2nd round pick the Fins' could go OG or WR. If one of the top OG's is there that could be a good choice, if not a talented WR will probably be avail because of the depth at WR in this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kouandijo of Bama

Stay away, damaged goods.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right Tackle is a very important position so I'm sure the team has been preparing a lot to make sure they get the best pick possible at OT. Kouandijo could be a powerful run blocker, but will he be as good vs speed rushers, I don't know & his combine performance didn't help his draft stock. He faced good competition though in the SEC so I'm sure the team has a thorough evaluation of him. I recently watched highlights of the Tennessee Oline against Georgia & Ja'Wuan James seems to move real well for a guy that's 6'6 311 lbs. I read draft analysis about him & there aren't many negatives. I think he is comfortable on the right side & could be a solid player in the NFL. Jason Fox will make it interesting competition for a starting RT spot if he stays healthy. The team still has a guard position up for grabs. I think it's a big year for D Thomas to show if he can win a spot. I would like to see the team add another guard also from the draft to compete for a spot on the roster. WR Odell Beckham Jr. of LSU is a possible pick at 19. What's interesting about Beckham is that if you have watched him a lot ( I have as an LSU fan) He seems bigger on the field, like he's 6'2 but he's 5'11. He was the best WR at LSU with Mettenberger & the offense having a huge year in 2013. Also, A talent like Mosely at LB is also intriguing but I think the team has to be real sure that they can deal with quality pass rushers & get the running game going with consistency to become a playoff team.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless one of the top OT's or a stud falls to them they need to trade back and acquire more picks. They can still draft a very good OT later in Rd 1 so why force it? They may even wait until Rd 2 to find an OT or G and with an pick that would make the job easier.

After the off-season moves I wouldn't be disappointed if they went BPA either but hopefully in a position of at least semi need. I wouldn't doubt it if they already have some trades already worked out with a few teams based on who's available at 19.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless one of the top OT's or a stud falls to them they need to trade back and acquire more picks. They can still draft a very good OT later in Rd 1 so why force it? They may even wait until Rd 2 to find an OT or G and with an pick that would make the job easier.

After the off-season moves I wouldn't be disappointed if they went BPA either but hopefully in a position of at least semi need. I wouldn't doubt it if they already have some trades already worked out with a few teams based on who's available at 19.

True, Hickey may have some possible trade scenarios already in the works if it's best for the team. Trading back could be a good move if the team can still get the right players. I think the most needed positions are RT and ILB & also a guard to compete with the guys on the roster. Hickey seems confident that the team is improving & will have a good draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree FOF Hickey sounds like he's willing to make a pick if the right guys there but move back if not and a solid trade for extra picks is available which we know probably is as there are quite a few contending teams looking for a certain position or player. I think around 19 there will be some good talent left but also a lot of positions that will be of similar talent all the way back to Rd 2 so why not acquire more picks in trade if your player is gone? I think that it's a win win scenario for them. I'm pretty excited for this draft as they could go so many ways with the first pick they're not as boxed in as they would have been before FA.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did a great job of filling needs in FA - Therefore, that is one of many reasons why the Fins should go with the “best player available” approach on draft night… they already filled needs , so now they can take a different approach… In fact, IMO, if they continue to go for need and keep trying to get OL’s, I think it will lead to then neglecting other postions and that just something they cant afford to do.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the sounds of it the only real positions of need that I'm hearing from everyone is either OT or ILB. So if one of either Martin or Moseley is there I think that they need to take them and if not attempt to trade back and acquire more picks as then the talent pool evens out for a while. You'll end up with your OT, ILB and other needs in the later rounds but all will be quality players. Does that seem right to everyone?