• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Theo Epstein deserve a ring?

richymets

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like he built this championship team.

What are your thoughts?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Pedroia, Ellsbury, Ortiz, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Nava, Saltalamacchia, Bogaerts, Doubront, Tazawa, etc. are Theo guys.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Pedroia, Ellsbury, Ortiz, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Nava, Saltalamacchia, Bogaerts, Doubront, Tazawa, etc. are Theo guys.

Yes those are his guys.... BUT Cherington kicked the tires with all that crap to the Dodgers. If they were still on the team then the Red Sox would not have won and not been able to bring in the players they did.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step back and look at the big picture – and read between the lines…. I don’t want people to hate the wrong people.

Current owners buy the team in 2002 (Dec 2001)... Epstein hired in 2002 and says “we’re going to build a player development machine”. Boston wins in 2004. Lucchino starts meddling with roster decisions in 2005. Epstein quits (on Halloween, 2005 - leaves Fenway in Gorilla costume). Cherrington & Hoyer named interim GM. Lucchino gets the hint, Epstein rehired January 2006. Boston wins in 2007. Lucchino starts meddling with roster decisions in 2010 (survey says Sox need more sexy players? Survey points to Crawford & Gonzalez?). 2011, Sox are actually the best team in Baseball – then all hell breaks loose. Theo finally says, “Screw you Larry, I’m gone”. Cherrington hired in 2012 – his first job is to find a new manager. He Interviews five excellent candidates and settles on the best one. Lucchino says: “No, I want Valentine.” Cherrington says, “Wha, wha, what??”… 2012 season…. Cherrington says, “Larry, this is your pile of shit. Fix it so I can do my job and keep your fucking mouth shut.” Lucchino calls Los Angeles and somehow trades his garbage and throws in some spare trash to the Dodgers for crazy-good minor league pitchers. That was the first good thing he had done for Boston. The second was keeping his mouth shut (anyone notice he was out of the media spotlight all year?)… Cherrington finally assumes control and hires his manger and finds his players. 2013.

Let’s hope Lucky Larry has learned his lesson.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not hating on Theo at all.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes those are his guys.... BUT Cherington kicked the tires with all that crap to the Dodgers. If they were still on the team then the Red Sox would not have won and not been able to bring in the players they did.

Exactly, Cherington made the big trade to the Dodgers. He also brought in Napoli, Victorino, Drew, traded for Peavy. He deserves more of the credit.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, would not complain if Theo did get one.

Lucchino WILL get one if I remember the rules correctly. Am I right?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, would not complain if Theo did get one.

Lucchino WILL get one if I remember the rules correctly. Am I right?

There are no rules. The Red Sox can do whatever they want....

And, if Larry had his way, he'd get a ring, a scepter and a crown.

george-marks-man-dressed-as-king-holding-scepter.jpg

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cherington was with the team all that time as well, so these guys were probably his guys too.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not hating on Theo either. My NO vote is base on him being TWO years removed from Boston.

You can say thank you to Theo, but no ring. Theo has left a nice legacy behind and it is in good hands with Cherington.

Middlebrooks was also a Theo guy, and Theo was chiefly responsible for drafting Lester in 2002, not Duquette.

More importantly, Theo's final draft of 2011 that netted Matt Barnes, Jackie Bradley, Henry Owens, and Blake Swihart is the final ace in the hole for our future. Cherington added to that by getting Allen Webster and Rubby DeLaRosa from the Dodgers.

Cherington then had a masterful off-season after 2012 that was reminiscent of Theo's off-season after 2002 when he brought in Ortiz, Timlin, Mueller, Arroyo, Millar, Kapler, Millar, and Foulke.

Great minds think alike.

I am with Steveringo in that it was not Theo's fault for the Crawford signing. That came from the top for the reasons Steve mentioned.

A-Gone was long coveted by Theo, so I believe that move was all him, but it was not a bad trade and a bad contract. A-Gone was the price we had to pay to get rid of Beckett and Crawford or the Dodgers wouldn't do the deal.

Jackbrit2

Jackbrit2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if he is willing to buy a box of Cracker Jacks and take the chance of getting one.