• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the NFL have a conflict of interest going on?

Is there a conflict of interest going on in the NFl

• Total voters

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exposing Brady as a fraud and keeping him out of the HOF is enough, no further discipline required. Though when Jimmy Garrafalo pulls a Matt Cassell and goes 3-1 or 4-0 in Brady's "system", that will be more awesome
With that 1 loss being from opening week... :whistle:

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fat chance

Patriots 0-1 through week 1... Book it
no way

entirely new defense back there for you

no laveon bell

pats opener after hanging a banner?

bradys got the 2nd best numbers of his career vs pitt (by team)

last time they played they put up 50+ in bradys "bad year" in 2013.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way

no laveon bell

Banner* (don't forget your asterisk)

No Brady... No Blount... Garoppolo? pffffft!

Smokin the good shit today Rocko!

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banner* (don't forget your asterisk)

No Brady... No Blount... Garoppolo? pffffft!

Smokin the good shit today Rocko!
yup

pats are that good.

jimmy looked good in limited action (mostly vs prevent d's tho, so it will be nice to see him shred that new steeler "secondary").

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I dont think so as Goodell has to back up his statements he made back at the time of the Super Bowl.

Here’s what Goodell said at his pre-Super Bowl news conference Jan. 30:

“All of us want to make sure that the rules are being followed, and if we have any information where the potential is that those rules were violated, I have to pursue that and I have to pursue that aggressively . . . We are a league of rules . . . If there are rules that dictate the pressure in footballs . . . we’re going to enforce those rules . . . Whether a competitive advantage was actually gained or not is secondary in my mind as to whether that rule was violated. That’s the integrity of our game, and when those rules are violated, we will take that seriously.’’

A great read from the Boston Globe, it separates the Patriot fans from how the rest of the world is looking at this situation. Click the link and take a few minutes to read the info:

Dan Shaughnessy: A hard rains a-gonna fall on Tom Brady and the Patriots - Sports - The Boston Globe

A hard rain’s a-gonna fall on Tom Brady and the Patriots

In Patriot world, the NFL is out to get you. Everybody is out to get you. It’s a conspiracy. It’s a sting. The Wells Report is ridiculously flawed. There are factual errors. The league was OK playing half of the AFC Championship game with footballs that might have not been inflated properly. The other 31 franchises are insanely jealous of the Patriots’ success. A couple of New England’s adult ball boys maybe went off the reservation, but all the evidence against the Patriots is circumstantial. The league has nothing.

In the rest of the free-thinking world, the Patriots are liars and cheaters. They were caught red-handed in Spygate in 2007 and now the league has got them again. The Patriots intentionally and systematically deflated footballs, below legal limits, to accommodate Brady. They did it because they believed it gave them a competitive advantage (more completions, less fumbling, better play in bad weather — all Patriot trademarks). Brady knew about it, lied about it, then withheld information from the Wells investigators.

Officially speaking, the NFL’s executive vice president, Troy Vincent, will hand out the punishment(s), but we all know this is commissioner Roger Goodell’s call. And it’s a huge one. I heard some “expert” on TV Friday say that Goodell’s ruling on Patriot sanctions would be a bigger deal than Kenesaw Mountain Landis’s decision to ban eight White Sox players for life after they conspired to throw the 1919 World Series.

Wow. Fallout from deflating footballs is now a bigger deal than fixing the World Series? We are certainly in uncharted waters.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way

no laveon bell

Do you guys even have any corners on your roster anymore? I look for Big Ben to just rip through that secondary.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's insane that people believe that Kraft is somehow more influential on Goodell than the other 31 owners combined.

31 billionaires (well, 30 billionaires plus Packers shareholders) who all want the Patriots destroyed, and you're concerned about the influence of 1 owner?

There is a huge conflict of interest, but it's the opposite of what the original post is concerned about: Goodell is being pressured by the other owners into absolutely crushing the Patriots.

Are you sure about that? Who wants the Pats crushed? The owners care about money.

Take the Bengals for example. I fully suspect piece of shit Mike Brown has more of a revenue sharing interest in seeing the Pats successful than he cares about 'justice' against Tom Brady

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have Roger Goodell having to pass judgement on one of most influential owners who decides how much he makes. Is this a problem? I think it is.

The BIGGER conflict of interest is using a law firm already affiliated with the league and pretending it is actually "independent"!!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are still 31 others owners that have an impact on his job., So if Kraft does possess some influence the other 31 owner do as well.
How of them are on the panel that decides RG salary? Kraft lead the charge for RG huge payday. Think that carries some influence?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Rock, why was Roger Goodell partying at Robert Kraft's mansion the night before the AFC Championship game?

Here's more on this(since you asked)-

“The NFL always used to pay for a big party for the AFC Championship Game, said Kraft. We’ve been privileged to own the team for 21 years, and this was our 10th championship game. When the league stopped giving the parties, we started doing it. This is our third one.”

Kraft said the party was held for league sponsors and the players make money off of those relationships.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't call Kraft the co-commish for nothing. Huge conflict of interest.

We'll see if the punishment remotely fit the crime. I'm suspecting the bare minimum, and immediate appeal will cut in half any suspension of Brady. He could end out only 2-4 games which would be a total joke, but you know it's coming.
If the league does this then they're encouraging the next team under the microscope to be uncooperative. That doesn't jive with the rules that got New England in deep water in the first place. I don't think that's what the league wants in the long run.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people really want to believe Goodell is going to let one (albeit very powerful) owner slide when his team cheats the other 31 in spite of what those cheated 31 owners will have to say about it that's fine by me. But I'm not buying it.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

pats put up 40+ even with just jimmy.

With "just" Jimmy.

The guy is a better QB by any stretch in every measurable category. You know it. I know it.