• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the medias ad hoc logic irritate u?

Saturnmane

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so sick of the medias 20th century thinking. For instance recently I heard on Mike and Mike that Cam Newton might be the MVP of the league. MVP? Their thinking is that the Panthers might be the best team so that means that Cam Newton must be the MVP. You see the same thinking being applied to this years Heisman trophy with Winston as the frontrunner.

My argument is based on simple advanced stats. Football reference has what they call a simple rating system (SRS) and basically what they do is take each games margin of victory and then times it by a number that signifies the strength of their opponent. So each win is added and each loss is subtracted and u reach a number for each team which is then divided into a simple rating for the offense and one for the defense. Any number above zero indicates above average and the larger the number the better it means. The Panthers team rating is 10.3 which is one of the highest ratings in the league but the offenses rating is only 0.8 and the defenses rating is 9.5. So basically what this means is that Carolinas offense is slightly above average while the defense is fricking stellar and the highest rating in the league I believe whether defensive or offensive. So the media goofs feel comfortable supporting an mvp from a team that is the best because they believe its above reproach which is cowardice and dishonorable to say the least. Yet the stats say that the vast amount of the credit for the Panthers success should go to the defense with the offense barely carrying their load.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your first mistake was giving any credibility to Mike and Mike

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially in football, I think to really name an MVP you have to see the games, because raw stats don't always tell the story as the game played out...ex. I'll use Cam, but imo Foles should be the MVP so far.

12 for 30 175 yds, 45 yd rushing, 2 TDs, 1 rushing, 1 INT CAR wins 17 - 10

On paper, that might not look that great, but if you saw the game and you noted that Cam extended 4 drives on 3rd down with those 45 yds, and 4 of his completions moved the chains in the 2nd half, etc. you might come away with an entirely different view of his impact on the game from looking at the same stat line.

But I agree with packerzrule on your 1st mistake...lol

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your first mistake was giving any credibility to Mike and Mike

Ditto.....They are 2 bobbleheads and have about as much credibility as TMZ....Forgettaboutit !!!!

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind. What do you expect, for everyone to just concède it to Manning with 4-6 weeks left of the season, talk about just him for an hour then move on to basketball?

Cam should not win it imo, but he should certainly be discussed. As should à handful of players.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs of playoff teams win MVPs with the occasional exception of an RB from a playoff team that does something off the charts. I think it's actually engraved on a stone tablet somewhere. So he would have to be considered but I think he'd wind up behind a few guys, considering the strength of his defense and the perceived importance they've played in that team's success. I think Wilson will have the same problem plus the Hawks have a killer running game. It's all a moot point this year anyway unless Peyton completely craps the bed the last 3 games.

Saturnmane

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam extended drives but the defense held the opponents to 10 points. Not a very high bar for Cam to jump. Imagine if Carolina had Peyton as their QB.

Saturnmane

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike and Mike are idiots but they are a reflection of the fans and reflect the status quo view.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so much easier to pick a clear MVP in basketball.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike and Mike are idiots but they are a reflection of the fans and reflect the status quo view.

...and they're entertaining, like Cowherd.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they are only a reflection of the fans who are idiots

with the exception of most of the guest appearances, their show mostly consists of arguing their own points of view on various topics

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care for M&M, thus I dont listen to them.

But what would you guys talk about for 4 hours a day if you had a show? Just Peyton Manning and Calvin Johnson?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care for M&M, thus I dont listen to them.

But what would you guys talk about for 4 hours a day if you had a show? Just Peyton Manning and Calvin Johnson?

Well there are closer races they could be talking about that would stir more debate in my opinion. I would love to hear a debate on the Defensive Player of the Year award as it stands. There really is no clear cut front runner like there is for MVP. I mean seriously anybody saying Peyton isn't the MVP right now when he is about to break the touchdown record, passing yards record, and a handful of other records for quarterbacks is just ridiculous. Calvin really is about the only guy that stands any chance of stopping Peyton and he would have to just go crazy over these last few weeks while Peyton falls flat on his face. But like I said that DPOY award is very intriguing to me this year.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there are closer races they could be talking about that would stir more debate in my opinion. I would love to hear a debate on the Defensive Player of the Year award as it stands. There really is no clear cut front runner like there is for MVP. I mean seriously anybody saying Peyton isn't the MVP right now when he is about to break the touchdown record, passing yards record, and a handful of other records for quarterbacks is just ridiculous. Calvin really is about the only guy that stands any chance of stopping Peyton and he would have to just go crazy over these last few weeks while Peyton falls flat on his face. But like I said that DPOY award is very intriguing to me this year.

I agree that Peyton is a lock. I just want to hear about other players having great seasons too. Just because you dont win MVP doesn't mean that you dont deserve to be mentioned.

But you're right, the defensive MVP is a far more interesting race.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning should have won MVP the year he went down and the Colts won 1 game. This year it should probably got o Aaron Rogers. It's easy to tell who the MVP is when he's hurt and his otherwise dominant team can't win without him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Peyton is a lock. I just want to hear about other players having great seasons too. Just because you dont win MVP doesn't mean that you dont deserve to be mentioned.

But you're right, the defensive MVP is a far more interesting race.

I understand giving those players shout outs but to me it just makes someone look stupid to say they are in the MVP race when the race in my opinion ended over the last 2 weeks with Peyton adding another 9 touchdowns to his resume and the offense clicking like it was the first 5 weeks of the season. I think there are plenty of players deserving of credit for the seasons they are having but to say they are in shouting distance of Peyton is either just running out of things to talk about and wanting to stir up controversy or just flat out hatred for Peyton. Kind of reminds me of when Tom won the award in 2007 for breaking Peyton's old touchdown record and there was that one guy that didn't vote for Tom...it was just flat out hatred more than actual logical thought put into the decision.

Now you asked what else are they supposed to talk about well there is plenty in my opinion as there are so many story lines in the NFL this year. I think the only conversations that are fully decided would be who is the best quarterback and wide receiver this year. All others are fair game in my opinion. And to me they would stir up more controversy because the races are closer of who is the best running back this year, or DPOY like I said. There are so many more angles to play on those that would get people's attention because the lists are longer.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind. What do you expect, for everyone to just concède it to Manning with 4-6 weeks left of the season, talk about just him for an hour then move on to basketball?

Cam should not win it imo, but he should certainly be discussed. As should à handful of players.

No, he shouldn't. At least half the QBs in the league make Carolina better, and that's very generous to cam.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
media does for media's sake. Its stupid to question something that is made to entertain and create scenarios. Sports is ultimately entertainment and this is an extension of it. Most media sports guys know just as much and in some cases more than most of you think you know but that doesn't get ratings to talk the real aspects so you have to create controversy to get paid.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone who endorses someone not named Peyton Manning for MVP this year shouldn't be allowed to watch football. Not even the CFL.