• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers rumored to get Greinke

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe there hasn't been a "LOL at the Angels" post in here yet. I'll do it:

LOL at the Angels. Traded away Segura for a few months of Greinke. Big hit to their farm system and now nothing to show.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe there hasn't been a "LOL at the Angels" post in here yet. I'll do it:

LOL at the Angels. Traded away Segura for a few months of Greinke. Big hit to their farm system and now nothing to show.

They traded away pitcher Donn Roach to the Padres in the Frieri deal as well. He was lights out in High A & AA last year. Amarista is pretty good too.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They traded away pitcher Donn Roach to the Padres in the Frieri deal as well. He was lights out in High A & AA last year. Amarista is pretty good too.

And this is what happens when you over-extend yourself financially and gut your farm for a year or two of going "all in". Once their very shall window shuts they'll be crippled for years.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is what happens when you over-extend yourself financially and gut your farm for a year or two of going "all in". Once their very shall window shuts they'll be crippled for years.

I know the Rangers have the players & prospects to get guys like Upton, Garza, Dickie & probably any big name on the market. How careful do you think they should be?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Rangers have the players & prospects to get guys like Upton, Garza, Dickie & probably any big name on the market. How careful do you think they should be?

Profar should be absolutely untouchable unless we can get a real legit Ace. Not a fringe ace, but an unquestionable bonafide ace. Or Stanton.

The problem with Texas moving forward as it finished this last year is many of their key players were getting old. MY, Cruz, Lewis, even Beltre and Hamilton. They cannot afford to get wrapped up in expensive long term deals with those guys or they'll end up where the Yankees are now. The youth will be important in either filling those roles themselves, or bringing in the players Texas needs to fill voids. And that doesn't include over paying for pitchers on the wrong side of 30.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar should be absolutely untouchable unless we can get a real legit Ace. Not a fringe ace, but an unquestionable bonafide ace. Or Stanton.

The problem with Texas moving forward as it finished this last year is many of their key players were getting old. MY, Cruz, Lewis, even Beltre and Hamilton. They cannot afford to get wrapped up in expensive long term deals with those guys or they'll end up where the Yankees are now. The youth will be important in either filling those roles themselves, or bringing in the players Texas needs to fill voids. And that doesn't include over paying for pitchers on the wrong side of 30.

The problem is King Felix isn't available. I think Texas was smart in letting everyone know their stance on Hamilton. 3 years would be a solid deal. Plus they need him.

I understand the interest in Upton. However, the DBacks aren't going to trade him unless they get more than fair value. At least that's what Kevin Towers said during the Winter meetings. Whether it's posturing or not I don't know.

The Marlins would probably listen on Nolasco & he's apparently said he wants out. However, he isn't anywhere near an ace. I think Matt Garza is the Rangers best bet at this point. I know there have been rumors of Dickey though. What about Anibal Sanchez? He's 26 & has really good stuff. He pitched well for the Tigers down the stretch. As an added bonus all he would cost is $$. Since the Tigers acquired him during the season there isn't any draft pick compensation involved with him.

If & when Stanton is on the block 29 teams will make offers in hopes of acquiring him.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is King Felix isn't available. I think Texas was smart in letting everyone know their stance on Hamilton. 3 years would be a solid deal. Plus they need him.

I understand the interest in Upton. However, the DBacks aren't going to trade him unless they get more than fair value. At least that's what Kevin Towers said during the Winter meetings. Whether it's posturing or not I don't know.

The Marlins would probably listen on Nolasco & he's apparently said he wants out. However, he isn't anywhere near an ace. I think Matt Garza is the Rangers best bet at this point. I know there have been rumors of Dickey though. What about Anibal Sanchez? He's 26 & has really good stuff. He pitched well for the Tigers down the stretch. As an added bonus all he would cost is $$. Since the Tigers acquired him during the season there isn't any draft pick compensation involved with him.

If & when Stanton is on the block 29 teams will make offers in hopes of acquiring him.

It's simple. If someone like Felix isn't available you don't look for a lesser return. You hold onto Profar.

No thanks on nolasco.

Garza = Holland 2.0. Wouldn't mind having him, but only if the cubs will be reasonable in what they want for him.

Sanchez? Only if he'll come reasonable. Not giving him 90m.

Upton? Sand thing. Profar for Upton is a huge over payment. I'd rather see what Profar can do. Kid has a HOF ceiling.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple. If someone like Felix isn't available you don't look for a lesser return. You hold onto Profar.

No thanks on nolasco.

Garza = Holland 2.0. Wouldn't mind having him, but only if the cubs will be reasonable in what they want for him.

Upton? Sand thing. Profar for Upton is a huge over payment. I'd rather see what Profar can do. Kid has a HOF ceiling.

How much do we overvalue prospects? Upton is a big time player who's under control for the next three years at a reasonable price. I understand wanting to keep your #1 prospect, but Arizona wouldn't take Cabrera from the Indians straight up for him. You have to give to get. The Dbacks want a SS & pitching for Upton.

It's going to be interesting to see who the Rangers target on the pitching market. It's a weak UFA class & the price for pitching has gone up, BIG TIME.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much do we overvalue prospects? Upton is a big time player who's under control for the next three years at a reasonable price. I understand wanting to keep your #1 prospect, but Arizona wouldn't take Cabrera from the Indians straight up for him. You have to give to get. The Dbacks want a SS & pitching for Upton.

It's going to be interesting to see who the Rangers target on the pitching market. It's a weak UFA class & the price for pitching has gone up, BIG TIME.

#1 prospect in baseball with a HOF celing and a pretty high floor isn't worth giving up for Upton.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No thanks on nolasco.

Garza is better than Holland

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's necessarily true.

Yes it is. How is it not? More Proven in his career, pitched in the AL East and was a good pitcher for the Rays and Has had ERAs in the High 3s almost his Whole Career. With 2011 being his best year. He's actually never had an ERA over 4. Except the first year with the twins in his rookie season

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is. How is it not? More Proven in his career, pitched in the AL East and was a good pitcher for the Rays and Has had ERAs in the High 3s almost his Whole Career. With 2011 being his best year. He's actually never had an ERA over 4. Except the first year with the twins in his rookie season

Garza had one outstanding year in 2011 and other than that he's been very good but not great. He may not have ever had an era over 4 but he's pushed it at the 3.9 range multiple times. His Career FIP is actually 4.0 and would be higher except for his one great year in 2011. Last year he had higher hr/fb ratio than holland in the NL in a pitchers park. Aside from 2011 he's right around holland in k's/9 at about 8, and he has a career SIERA of 4.03 compared to Hollands 4.00.

So go on and tell me how Garza is vastly superior to holland.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza had one outstanding year in 2011 and other than that he's been very good but not great. He may not have ever had an era over 4 but he's pushed it at the 3.9 range multiple times. His Career FIP is actually 4.0 and would be higher except for his one great year in 2011. Last year he had higher hr/fb ratio than holland in the NL in a pitchers park. Aside from 2011 he's right around holland in k's/9 at about 8, and he has a career SIERA of 4.03 compared to Hollands 4.00.

So go on and tell me how Garza is vastly superior to holland.

In his 2011 season, if you check on fangraphs started using his breaking stuff more and become a lot better pitcher. Last year he was injured. So he is better than Derek is for now. FIP doesnt matter if he is outperforming his whole damn career... lol Just saying. Results matter more than FIP over a long span.. Also Garza would be a really good get too cause he would slot behind Harrison and Yu. He is better than almost all #3s out there.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his 2011 season, if you check on fangraphs started using his breaking stuff more and become a lot better pitcher. Last year he was injured. So he is better than Derek is for now. FIP doesnt matter if he is outperforming his whole damn career... lol Just saying. Results matter more than FIP over a long span.. Also Garza would be a really good get too cause he would slot behind Harrison and Yu. He is better than almost all #3s out there.

Like I said. He's a more experienced Holland. Would I like to have him? Yes, but only at the right price and not for a package similar to what Chicago gave for him.

Also, I mentioned a lot more than FIP, but way to try to cherry pick around the stats.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said. He's a more experienced Holland. Would I like to have him? Yes, but only at the right price and not for a package similar to what Chicago gave for him.

Also, I mentioned a lot more than FIP, but way to try to cherry pick around the stats.

I think if the Rangers acquire a #1 or #2 pitcher through a trade you will be surprised at what they have to give up. It's a sellers market because Greinke & Lohse to a lesser extent are it in terms of high end UFA pitchers.

Kevin Coreia signed a 2 year 10M deal with the Minnesota Twins.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Rangers acquire a #1 or #2 pitcher through a trade you will be surprised at what they have to give up. It's a sellers market because Greinke & Lohse to a lesser extent are it in terms of high end UFA pitchers.

Kevin Coreia signed a 2 year 10M deal with the Minnesota Twins.

Loshe is nowhere near the same class as greinke. Texas would be willing to give up top prospects for a real #1, but Garza, Shields, etc are not #1's. everybody sees the depth in Texas' farm system and think they've got prospects burning a hole in their pocket. Wrong. They still won't overpay drastically and get fleeced just because they have depth.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loshe is nowhere near the same class as greinke. Texas would be willing to give up top prospects for a real #1, but Garza, Shields, etc are not #1's. everybody sees the depth in Texas' farm system and think they've got prospects burning a hole in their pocket. Wrong. They still won't overpay drastically and get fleeced just because they have depth.

I realize that, but the problem is name a true #1 that's actually available right now?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that, but the problem is name a true #1 that's actually available right now?

Ok, well if there's nothing out there you don't drastically overpay for a mid rotation pitcher just to do something.