• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the players also know?? Brian Orakpo seems to!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the statements made by Brian Orakpo and another followed by D. Young. Does the truth slip out?

When commenting on the divergent path both teams have taken sine they last met, Orakpo:

No single factor explains the divergent trajectories of Washington and Seattle. Neither coach, understandably, is eager to weigh in.
But it’s glaring to Redskins players, particularly those who were on the field for that 2012 wild-card game.
“It’s unbelievable,” said Washington’s Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Orakpo. “We would have thought we would have been up there, considering those two teams were on that rise at that point in time. It’s unfortunate. Those guys go on and win a Super Bowl, and we just digress as far as winning ball games.”

This is the more important comment from B.O a perspective on management:

In Orakpo’s view, Seattle’s front office and coaching staff have added talent shrewdly and honed the skills of its veterans.
“They’re almost building a dynasty over there by continually adding talent, continually growing as a team,” Orakpo said, alluding to acquisitions such as wide receiver Percy Harvin and the seasoning of starters such as Wilson and cornerback Byron Maxwell.

Is there a locker room issue, lack of confidence or both? Here's D. Young:

Fullback Darrel Young, who has near-total recall of every play in that 24-14 playoff loss, believes that camaraderie among Seattle’s players has been a major factor in their ascent.
“Camaraderie, they have it,” Young said. “And I think they just were a little more hungry than us in terms of what they wanted to do.”

Finally, there's this additional comment echoing D. Young by R. Clark:

In comments echoed by free safety Ryan Clark, Young went on to credit Seattle’s coaches with identifying players’ individual strengths and maximizing them through their scheme. Moreover, Young noted, Seattle’s offense rarely gets in third-and-long situations nor does the team kill itself with penalties. Both have bitten Washington the last two seasons.

Gentlemen/ladies.......your thoughts?

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue with either of their observations. Seattle is a first class football team, and we are a running joke under Snyder. We reach a tiny bit of success in 2012, reaching the playoffs, and then proceed to immediately shoot ourselves in the foot, stopping only to reload. Its hard to explain it all, except that I think it all starts with leadership at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is we don't have a good enough team to be drafting developmental players

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought is that Rak needs to ask himself what he has done to contribute to the trajectory of the Redskins. Don't start questioning others when you haven't done shit.

As far as adding talent, thats just crap. We added DJax and Hatcher this year. That's as good as Harvin and Maxwell, IMO.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys who are opening their mouths at what direction the Redskins are headed should look in the mirror at this point. Rak is making $11M and is NOT earning anywhere near that. Haslett can't figure anything out at this point and the main culprit is the Skins simply need better players. We looked so slow last night on defense and our glaring poor technique and scheme on defense looks as bad as it ever has to include tackling. We are not very good from coaches on down to players.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreover, Young noted, Seattle’s offense rarely gets in third-and-long situations nor does the team kill itself with penalties. Both have bitten Washington the last two seasons.

First of all I believe that in both cases the players were complementing the Seahawks & not necessarily badmouthing the Redskins (especially Young). Folks may be reading a bit too much into these comments. If they were meant this way then these guys need to keep their mouths shut. The rebuild is up to the coaches & GM not them.

Anyhow - I find the statement about the Seahawks and penalties curious. I don't watch most of their games & this may have been the exception, but all I saw Seattle do last night was kill themselves with penalties. Otherwise - the game probably would have been a complete blowout.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I believe that in both cases the players were complementing the Seahawks & not necessarily badmouthing the Redskins (especially Young). Folks may be reading a bit too much into these comments. If they were meant this way then these guys need to keep their mouths shut. The rebuild is up to the coaches & GM not them.

Anyhow - I find the statement about the Seahawks and penalties curious. I don't watch most of their games & this may have been the exception, but all I saw Seattle do last night was kill themselves with penalties. Otherwise - the game probably would have been a complete blowout.

Could have been a complete blowout??/ Yes I suppose, but if they hadnt been, holding, etc, and drawing the flags, those TD's may have been sacks, or tipped balls, who knows.......

I do know that they scored alot aided by doing something against the rules....thus.....Not a Td...and a close game...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have been a complete blowout??/ Yes I suppose, but if they hadnt been, holding, etc, and drawing the flags, those TD's may have been sacks, or tipped balls, who knows.......

I do know that they scored alot aided by doing something against the rules....thus.....Not a Td...and a close game...

Not sure what game you were watching, but I saw Seattle dominate the game except for a few stretches in the 2nd half. They were winning due to superior play not the refs, and yes they were called for numerous penalties.

I am as much of a diehard Redskin fan as anyone, but you can't always blame the refs especially when you are getting your butt kicked in a big way. Several of the penalties on their O-line had absolutely no impact on the play & would have been TDs regardless.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what game you were watching, but I saw Seattle dominate the game except for a few stretches in the 2nd half. They were winning due to superior play not the refs, and yes they were called for numerous penalties.

I am as much of a diehard Redskin fan as anyone, but you can't always blame the refs especially when you are getting your butt kicked in a big way. Several of the penalties on their O-line had absolutely no impact on the play & would have been TDs regardless.

I watched the same game as you I believe.......Yes..on a couple of harvins Tds, missed tackles helped him get in the end zone.......not the Oline holding.....but if they dont hold.....does he complete the ball in the first place? or does he get planted, or a tipped ball, or scramble for a couple yards.....Weather or not the penalty was around the ball carrier or not is irevelant.....bottom line.....It was a close game Because Seattle played bad, committed way too many called penalties... Plus...2 of those were back to back...so it wasnt like they moved into scoring position 3 times...it was 2....... (which doesnt matter i know)....but the fact remains.......they were not TDs, and it was a close game because of it

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN showed a stat during the game. Since the 2012 playoff meeting (which I think was actually in Jan 213 but you get the point)... from that playoff game until the MNF game this week, the Seahawks have the NFL's best record, and we have the NFL's worst record.

That in itself is shocking. Its starting to look like 2012 was just a complete mirage, and 2013 is exactly who we are. So much for Shanny stocking the shelf with players or Allen running a competent front office. And Jay Gruden is more Jim Zorn than he is Joe Gibbs.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN showed a stat during the game. Since the 2012 playoff meeting (which I think was actually in Jan 213 but you get the point)... from that playoff game until the MNF game this week, the Seahawks have the NFL's best record, and we have the NFL's worst record.

That in itself is shocking. Its starting to look like 2012 was just a complete mirage, and 2013 is exactly who we are. So much for Shanny stocking the shelf with players or Allen running a competent front office. And Jay Gruden is more Jim Zorn than he is Joe Gibbs.

How can you make an evaluation of Gruden after only 5 games? Remember - Joe Gibbs was 0-5 after his first 5 games & many folks were ready to run him out of town. How about that 2012 season? Did everyone forget that they started 3-6? I am by no means stating that Gruden will lead this team to a SB, but there is no way to truly judge him this early & he needs at least two seasons in DC before they can consider firing him.

One of the keys for Gruden will be surrounding himself with quality coaches. Assuming this season continues in a similar fashion you have to assume that Haslett & possibly the ST coach are gone. If they pickup some quality additions & some top notch asst coaches it could make quite a bit of difference (again - not predicting SB just a competitive team). Time will tell.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you make an evaluation of Gruden after only 5 games? Remember - Joe Gibbs was 0-5 after his first 5 games & many folks were ready to run him out of town. How about that 2012 season? Did everyone forget that they started 3-6? I am by no means stating that Gruden will lead this team to a SB, but there is no way to truly judge him this early & he needs at least two seasons in DC before they can consider firing him.

One of the keys for Gruden will be surrounding himself with quality coaches. Assuming this season continues in a similar fashion you have to assume that Haslett & possibly the ST coach are gone. If they pickup some quality additions & some top notch asst coaches it could make quite a bit of difference (again - not predicting SB just a competitive team). Time will tell.

Here' my initial evaluation of Jay Gruden and why he's not Joe Gibbs. Gibbs showed up and installed a a revolutionary new offense, and hired Ritchie Petitbon to run the defense. Both decisions resulted in an offense that changed the league, and a defense that contributed to 3 Super Bowl wins. It took 5 games for the offense to click, but that's in part because it was a whole new offense with a whole new concept and design.

Jay Gruden shows up and keeps the running game he inherited, and keeps a defensive coordinator with a decade long track record of failure. So basically the ONLY thing Jay Gruden has changed from the 3-13 mess he inherited, was the passing game. And there's hardly anything innovative or fearsome in our passing game.

We have no choice but to give Gruden a full season or two. But there is absolutely NOTHING that Jay has done as a head coach so far that makes me think: "Yeah, that was a great decision". Nothing. He's changed very little from a team that completely sucked, and it still sucks. How has Jay Gruden in any way shown us that he even knows what's wrong with this team? He hasn't fixed ANY of the problems that existed for 4 or 5 years running. And Haslett is most definitely part of the problem there.

Look at our kicking situation and tell me that anyone at Redskins Park has any clue whats wrong with this team? Go get Zach Hocker to kick off into the 3rd row and fix that problem once and for all. Instead we let Forbath pooch kick the other team to have the ball at the 40 every single time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here' my initial evaluation of Jay Gruden and why he's not Joe Gibbs. Gibbs showed up and installed a a revolutionary new offense, and hired Ritchie Petitbon to run the defense. Both decisions resulted in an offense that changed the league, and a defense that contributed to 3 Super Bowl wins. It took 5 games for the offense to click, but that's in part because it was a whole new offense with a whole new concept and design.

Jay Gruden shows up and keeps the running game he inherited, and keeps a defensive coordinator with a decade long track record of failure. So basically the ONLY thing Jay Gruden has changed from the 3-13 mess he inherited, was the passing game. And there's hardly anything innovative or fearsome in our passing game.

We have no choice but to give Gruden a full season or two. But there is absolutely NOTHING that Jay has done as a head coach so far that makes me think: "Yeah, that was a great decision". Nothing. He's changed very little from a team that completely sucked, and it still sucks. How has Jay Gruden in any way shown us that he even knows what's wrong with this team? He hasn't fixed ANY of the problems that existed for 4 or 5 years running. And Haslett is most definitely part of the problem there.

Look at our kicking situation and tell me that anyone at Redskins Park has any clue whats wrong with this team? Go get Zach Hocker to kick off into the 3rd row and fix that problem once and for all. Instead we let Forbath pooch kick the other team to have the ball at the 40 every single time.

You could be 100% correct. However - we need a bigger sample. We don't know that perhaps Gruden is working on some of this & considering changes. Perhaps he realized that he made mistake with some of the coaches & will change it - perhaps not till next season. He might also be considering strategy changes. We just don't know.

The next month or two will provide a real test for Gruden. He currently has a losing team, lots of injuries, major decision in the QB area & a hostile fan base & probably a not-too-pleased owner. This is where he will have to earn his $$ & see if perhaps the guy has potential.