• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DLAW facing Suspension

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not hold my breath on that

I would sure consider a trade down and pick up picks and pass on Bosa maybe pick up Elliot or Lawson

You could make a case for any move about now

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not hold my breath on that

I would sure consider a trade down and pick up picks and pass on Bosa maybe pick up Elliot or Lawson

You could make a case for any move about now
You can't get Elliott out of your head lol

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't get Elliott out of your head lol
you could make a very strong case for picking Elliot as it would give the boys the offense of 2014
possibly

will it happen who knows I don't trust Bosa the party guy we seem to have those bozos already on the team

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure this changes any of Dallas's draft plans. We were likely spending one of our top 3 picks on an end anyway. We might dig deeper and scrutinize each one now with the draft next week. Good thing we took two last year. Plus, Mincey is still available.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you could make a very strong case for picking Elliot as it would give the boys the offense of 2014
possibly

will it happen who knows I don't trust Bosa the party guy we seem to have those bozos already on the team

Good point, this may take Bozo off of our draft list.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have no problem with Bosa if he is their top rated guy, just hope they don't pick him strictly because of Lawrence's dumb ass

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have no problem with Bosa if he is their top rated guy, just hope they don't pick him strictly because of Lawrence's dumb ass

still don't think that Bosa is even in the Cowboys top 3 possible picks at 4 even with this

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what you think of Garrett overall as a coach (I still think his time management and crunch time decisions are not good) I do always give him credit for doing things "the right way". But, a lot of wrong way stuff has been going on and even with Jerry interfering and pulling the strings in the background if these guys thought the penalties were in place behind the talk it may not happen as much. Clearly his allowing Hardy to not miss time after all his team relating transgressions was bad for Garrett's rep as a do things the right way kind of guy.

Moore: What does another looming suspension say about culture Jason Garrett has in place with Cowboys?
This Story is About...
Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett and his team wait to be introduced before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers game at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, Sunday, November 15, 2015. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

By David Moore,

Jason Garrett preaches the importance of culture.

The Cowboys head coach insists that players be accountable to themselves, their teammates and the organization. He considers it one of the building blocks to a successful franchise.

Yet for the third consecutive year, suspensions force the Cowboys to open the regular season without key defensive starters.

What does that say about the culture Garrett has put in place?

A quick recap in case you've lost count:

2014: Orlando Scandrick, the team's best cornerback, is suspended four games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Scandrick admits he took a synthetic drug that has an amphetamine component. He swears it was done for recreational purposes, not to gain a competitive edge and a
pologizes. His suspension is reduced to two games.

2015: Middle linebacker Rolando McClain, the Cowboys' best defensive player during the previous season if Scandrick wasn't, is suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

2015: The Cowboys sign defensive end Greg Hardy knowing domestic abuse charges and an impending suspension hang over his head. He receives a 10-game suspension for violation of the league's personal conduct policy that is reduced to four games upon appeal.

2016: Randy Gregory, the favorite to start at right defensive end, is hit with a four-game suspension to open the season. Gregory has tested positive for marijuana going back to his days in college.

2016: DeMarcus Lawrence, the team's most productive defensive lineman in '15, awaits final notification of a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, sources said.

Separate circumstances led to each of these suspensions. You can argue these are individual failings more than a reflection of a flawed culture.

That carries weight if you're talking about one mistake, maybe two. But this is five suspensions for five different players on the same side of the ball in a span of 21 months. That's not a variance.

That's a trend.

Calling this an indictment of the culture Garrett has put in place is misleading and a bit unfair.

But it's certainly not an endorsement.

Moore: What does another looming suspension say about culture Jason Garrett has in place with Cowboys? | SportsDay

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what you think of Garrett overall as a coach (I still think his time management and crunch time decisions are not good) I do always give him credit for doing things "the right way". But, a lot of wrong way stuff has been going on and even with Jerry interfering and pulling the strings in the background if these guys thought the penalties were in place behind the talk it may not happen as much. Clearly his allowing Hardy to not miss time after all his team relating transgressions was bad for Garrett's rep as a do things the right way kind of guy.

Moore: What does another looming suspension say about culture Jason Garrett has in place with Cowboys?
This Story is About...
Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett and his team wait to be introduced before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers game at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, Sunday, November 15, 2015. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

By David Moore,

Jason Garrett preaches the importance of culture.

The Cowboys head coach insists that players be accountable to themselves, their teammates and the organization. He considers it one of the building blocks to a successful franchise.

Yet for the third consecutive year, suspensions force the Cowboys to open the regular season without key defensive starters.

What does that say about the culture Garrett has put in place?

A quick recap in case you've lost count:

2014: Orlando Scandrick, the team's best cornerback, is suspended four games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Scandrick admits he took a synthetic drug that has an amphetamine component. He swears it was done for recreational purposes, not to gain a competitive edge and a
pologizes. His suspension is reduced to two games.

2015: Middle linebacker Rolando McClain, the Cowboys' best defensive player during the previous season if Scandrick wasn't, is suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

2015: The Cowboys sign defensive end Greg Hardy knowing domestic abuse charges and an impending suspension hang over his head. He receives a 10-game suspension for violation of the league's personal conduct policy that is reduced to four games upon appeal.

2016: Randy Gregory, the favorite to start at right defensive end, is hit with a four-game suspension to open the season. Gregory has tested positive for marijuana going back to his days in college.

2016: DeMarcus Lawrence, the team's most productive defensive lineman in '15, awaits final notification of a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, sources said.

Separate circumstances led to each of these suspensions. You can argue these are individual failings more than a reflection of a flawed culture.

That carries weight if you're talking about one mistake, maybe two. But this is five suspensions for five different players on the same side of the ball in a span of 21 months. That's not a variance.

That's a trend.

Calling this an indictment of the culture Garrett has put in place is misleading and a bit unfair.

But it's certainly not an endorsement.

Moore: What does another looming suspension say about culture Jason Garrett has in place with Cowboys? | SportsDay

I'm of the belief this problem is mostly on Jerry and the players. I put very little of the blame on Garrett, at this juncture. Garrett doesn't draft (Gregory, Lawrence) or sign (Hardy, McClain) the players, and all of those guys were known to have issues/concerns coming into the organization.

It's strictly speculation on my part, but I don't think Garrett has much choice when it comes to benching the guys with higher profile. I would be willing to wager that there is a mandate from the "GM/Owner" to play these certain guys. We will never know for certain, I guess.

-- I view Scandrick as a completely isolated incident that does not belong in this conversation. The guy was on vacation in another country, enjoying life - I personally can't fault him for that. Got caught, owned it, served his punishment and moved on.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the belief this problem is mostly on Jerry and the players. I put very little of the blame on Garrett, at this juncture. Garrett doesn't draft (Gregory, Lawrence) or sign (Hardy, McClain) the players, and all of those guys were known to have issues/concerns coming into the organization.

It's strictly speculation on my part, but I don't think Garrett has much choice when it comes to benching the guys with higher profile. I would be willing to wager that there is a mandate from the "GM/Owner" to play these certain guys. We will never know for certain, I guess.

-- I view Scandrick as a completely isolated incident that does not belong in this conversation. The guy was on vacation in another country, enjoying life - I personally can't fault him for that. Got caught, owned it, served his punishment and moved on.
When Jerry said jocks to socks, the only thing he really was in control over was the socks and the cheerleaders uniforms.

Everyone including Garrett tells us he has a voice in every single roster move they make. Now this part may or may not be true, but I'm sure it's at least partially true.

But this assumption that Jerry decides who we play snap by snap is just crazy IMO. We sucked last year. Why the Hell would Jerry even care if we sat down Hardy or not for a few plays? I'm not saying cut him midseason or even suspend him, I'm saying why did he have more snaps than any other DL while missing and being late for meetings? That's on Garrett. If Garrett sent him a message by playing him less after missing a meeting Jerry isn't going to stick his nose into that. And if Jerry does try to dictate things to that level Garrett is an ass for staying and agreeing to every comment when he had many other options.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Jerry said jocks to socks, the only thing he really was in control over was the socks and the cheerleaders uniforms.

Everyone including Garrett tells us he has a voice in every single roster move they make. Now this part may or may not be true, but I'm sure it's at least partially true.

But this assumption that Jerry decides who we play snap by snap is just crazy IMO. We sucked last year. Why the Hell would Jerry even care if we sat down Hardy or not for a few plays? I'm not saying cut him midseason or even suspend him, I'm saying why did he have more snaps than any other DL while missing and being late for meetings? That's on Garrett. If Garrett sent him a message by playing him less after missing a meeting Jerry isn't going to stick his nose into that. And if Jerry does try to dictate things to that level Garrett is an ass for staying and agreeing to every comment when he had many other options.

I'm not saying Jerry determines who plays from snap to snap up and down the roster on game day, definitely not.

There are certain guys, like Hardy or McClain who have constant issues, but don't ever seem to be penalized for it. It's hard to explain Hardy and McClain never facing discipline from the team for there myriad of transgressions, while Garrett goes and cuts two guys for not wearing suits on the team flight. It doesn't all add up. I think Garrett controls about 95% of what goes on during the week to week of the NFL season, but Jerry has his pet projects every once in a while and that's when Jerry pulls the owner card (e.g. T.O.).

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Jerry determines who plays from snap to snap up and down the roster on game day, definitely not.

There are certain guys, like Hardy or McClain who have constant issues, but don't ever seem to be penalized for it. It's hard to explain Hardy and McClain never facing discipline from the team for there myriad of transgressions, while Garrett goes and cuts two guys for not wearing suits on the team flight. It doesn't all add up. I think Garrett controls about 95% of what goes on during the week to week of the NFL season, but Jerry has his pet projects every once in a while and that's when Jerry pulls the owner card (e.g. T.O.).
Agree with this, but jimmy did it too without Jerry's input and so do a lot of College coaches who pull all the strings. So I think there is a lot of merit to the idea (TO perfect example), I just don't think it's a mandate that comes down to the degree that it is portrayed.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with this, but jimmy did it too without Jerry's input and so do a lot of College coaches who pull all the strings. So I think there is a lot of merit to the idea (TO perfect example), I just don't think it's a mandate that comes down to the degree that it is portrayed.

When it came to Hardy, I think there was a directive to play him no matter what. Maybe not so with McClain, but he enjoys a very long leash for some reason.

Jimmy Johnson was strong willed enough and had enjoyed enough individual success that he was confident enough to give Jerry the :finger2:. I don't think Garrett is willing to lose his job clashing with Jerry over these issues that pop up every once in a while.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence’s Appeal Denied, 4-Game Suspension Upheld
Nate Bouda 4 mins ago Cowboys 0 Comments

David Helman reports that the NFL has denied Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence’s appeal of his four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

This just adds to the bad news for Dallas after news broke today that LB Rolando McClain has been suspended for 10 games after he too violated the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Beyond that, Cowboys DE Randy Gregory will serve a four-game suspension of his own, so this is really disappointing news for Dallas.

Lawrence, 24, is a former second-round pick of the Cowboys back in 2014. He’s in the third year of his four-year, $5,506,650 rookie contract and stands to make a base salary of $920,604 for the 2016 season.

In 2015, Lawrence appeared in all 16 games for the Cowboys and recorded 55 tackles, eight sacks, and a forced fumble. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 18 edge rusher out of 110 qualifying players.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heats Ro McClain is suspended 10 games. Time to cut bait on McClain.
I really thought DLaw would win his appeal.