• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Divisional Round Chiefs @ Patriots; Saturday 4:25 ET on CBS

The O/U is currently 42.5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KCs offense is 5.5 yards per play same as Carolina and better than more than half the league. Its probably more accurate to call their offense average and not weak.

Sorry. Didn't mean to insult the KC offense (but they suck) ;) but I do think that's a good matchup for the Patriots D. I think KC could put together some good drives and get into the end zone 1 or two times but I think without a healthy maclin, they are going to have to work extra hard and will really need the short field turnovers bring.
If Smith can get off a few good runs, that will help too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West/ware make a good tandem Pats need to stop run and contain Kelce not an easy order:suds:
Id imagine the gameplan would be similar to what the Pats did to stop the Chargers teams back in the day that had Tomlinson and Gates. I dont fully remember those games but I think the general idea was to let Tomlinson get his 3-4 yards on first and second down and shut down the TE. Then on 3rd down and short, go all in on shutting down the run. Marty Schottenheimer was a predictable coach, though. Andy Reid is a coach who loves to pass on a team that loves to run...so the plan might be different.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joking aside, Spencer Ware has been very good averaging over 3 yards after contact.
Sounds like something the Pats will have to look out for, plus as others have said a Gronk of sorts in Kelce. Looking forward to a great game, good luck to your Chiefs, and the Pats too of course.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly torn. The Chiefs during this stretch of wins has feasted on turnovers so to me if a team can keep from turning the ball over (easier said than done) then I think they stand a very good chance against the Chiefs because they are limited offensively. I mean they are 27th in yards per game yet 9th in scoring. The offensive output depends on the defense setting them up in very good field position. So I feel like the Broncos could keep the Chiefs game close as long as Manning doesn't do what he did the 2nd time playing them.

At the same time the Patriots defense isn't quite as threatening giving our offense a chance to really go out and do some damage. I also think the Broncos now with all their starters back on defense could really contain Brady.

So either one I can see the good and the bad of facing them. I live in Chiefs country so I wouldn't mind seeing them lose just for the fact that their fans then that keep talking Super Bowl have to shut up once again.

The Chiefs are 12th in yards per drive, so the short fields the defense creates actually lowers that number. So in non-short field situations, the Chiefs offense moves better than 12th in the league. This suggests fewer drives and those drives are clock burning drives.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 DRIVE STATS

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs are 12th in yards per drive, so the short fields the defense creates actually lowers that number. So in non-short field situations, the Chiefs offense moves better than 12th in the league. This suggests fewer drives and those drives are clock burning drives.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 DRIVE STATS

I would say that stat has been helped by the fact that the Chiefs have played with a lead in almost every single one of these games for this 11-game winning streak. That makes producing offense a lot easier. Teams can't just key in on the passing game and pin their ears back and go after Smith.

Understand I am not saying the Chiefs have a terrible offense I just think their offense is pretty average and I do think if they found themselves behind having to throw that they would struggle to keep up. They don't have the horses at the WR position for one to make the tough plays especially with Maclin injured now. They also don't have the OL that I think can hold up against the pass rush. I mean look at when they started 1-5 when they were behind and forced to throw on a more regular basis they could not protect Smith. I just think at some point in these playoffs the Chiefs are going to be forced to throw and when that happens the Chiefs offense is going to really struggle.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that stat has been helped by the fact that the Chiefs have played with a lead in almost every single one of these games for this 11-game winning streak. That makes producing offense a lot easier. Teams can't just key in on the passing game and pin their ears back and go after Smith.

Understand I am not saying the Chiefs have a terrible offense I just think their offense is pretty average and I do think if they found themselves behind having to throw that they would struggle to keep up. They don't have the horses at the WR position for one to make the tough plays especially with Maclin injured now. They also don't have the OL that I think can hold up against the pass rush. I mean look at when they started 1-5 when they were behind and forced to throw on a more regular basis they could not protect Smith. I just think at some point in these playoffs the Chiefs are going to be forced to throw and when that happens the Chiefs offense is going to really struggle.

But having a lead would also suggest that the Chiefs sit on the ball and that lowers the numbers more than playing with a lead helps. The Chiefs don't step on people's throats after the lead is secure. Might change in the playoffs. I've seen every game of theirs these past few years and this is what they do. For example, against Cleveland, they only had the ball three times in the second half - and this is with a good defense and Cleveland's no offensive juggernaut - and 5 of the 6 downs on two of those three drives were vanilla runs. They shut down once the game is in hand, Alex Smith has actually taken a few risks this year, but none of them in the second half of a run-down-the-clock game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am cautiously optimistic about this game. Not expecting a win on the road in Foxborough, but hopeful.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But having a lead would also suggest that the Chiefs sit on the ball and that lowers the numbers more than playing with a lead helps. The Chiefs don't step on people's throats after the lead is secure. Might change in the playoffs. I've seen every game of theirs these past few years and this is what they do. For example, against Cleveland, they only had the ball three times in the second half - and this is with a good defense and Cleveland's no offensive juggernaut - and 5 of the 6 downs on two of those three drives were vanilla runs. They shut down once the game is in hand, Alex Smith has actually taken a few risks this year, but none of them in the second half of a run-down-the-clock game.

I have watched almost every game over the past few years as well. What I have seen is they are built around a good defense and a strong running game. Which hey that usually does well in the post season. But I also know they have shown that if they struggle early they have a tough time digging out of the hole. Alex Smith is not who I would want if my team is down especially with the weapons he has around him now that Maclin is injured. I just think at some point in this post season they are going to be down and have to fight back. Until I actually see them be able to accomplish that I have a hard time seeing them win it all.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots 31
Chiefs 23

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I think Jay should call the aquarium just yet, but we got the coldest team in the NFL playing the hottest, NE's OL is in shambles which will force them to depend on the short game against KC's linebackers ...

oh yeah, I'm feelin cocky ... Patriots steal this one late: NE 27 KC 24

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I think Jay should call the aquarium just yet, but we got the coldest team in the NFL playing the hottest, NE's OL is in shambles which will force them to depend on the short game against KC's linebackers ...

oh yeah, I'm feelin cocky ... Patriots steal this one late: NE 27 KC 24
I'm pretty sure the browns have you beat for the coldest team in the NFL...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched almost every game over the past few years as well. What I have seen is they are built around a good defense and a strong running game. Which hey that usually does well in the post season. But I also know they have shown that if they struggle early they have a tough time digging out of the hole. Alex Smith is not who I would want if my team is down especially with the weapons he has around him now that Maclin is injured. I just think at some point in this post season they are going to be down and have to fight back. Until I actually see them be able to accomplish that I have a hard time seeing them win it all.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. Not betting on it, but he can. Playoffs are harder though and he does play better in playoff games so far. I know there haven't been playoff games to come back from but I'm not holding that against him. He'll push if the back is against the wall, don't see it often, but I'd expect he'd be more urgent than the regular season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting chart- not sure how useful it truly is. Still a neat look, however:

View attachment 77315

That is an impressive chart. I will say though not sure they have played the who's who of QB's.

Hoyer, Manziel, Clausen, Rivers (twice), Carr (twice), Taylor, Landry, Stafford, and Manning/Osweiler. Some decent names but nobody who finished among what many would consider the top-10 QB's in the league.

Still to have that type of run no matter who they play at QB is still impressive. Going to be interesting to see how Brady does.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
......everyone's just about back [healthwise]......*incl. Gronk's/injected-knee*.....this game could be a Pat's rout or decided by a fkkn fg.,....dependz what Pat's/team showz up,......??!