• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

District Court Judge Upholds Trademark Trial And Appeal Board's Ruling Finding REDSKINS Disparaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why make laws that prevent being offensive? I am offended by the word Native-American because it aims to lessen what being an American is. I am offended by the term African-American because it makes it seem like certain people are from Africa...we all originated in Africa but being American is completely different.
Well, Ive always liked the name, but this country has changed in the last year and anything considered offensive is being attacked

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Ive always liked the name, but this country has changed in the last year and anything considered offensive is being attacked
So if the name is offensive, is the picture of the Indian on the helmet? Some say yes but the reasons don't make sense. If a simple profile pic of an Indian warrior is offensive that all must be. Keep the Indian logo on the helmet and change the name to "Skins" as they will always be known.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the name is offensive, is the picture of the Indian on the helmet? Some say yes but the reasons don't make sense. If a simple profile pic of an Indian warrior is offensive that all must be. Keep the Indian logo on the helmet and change the name to "Skins" as they will always be known.
I never considered it offensive . I was just trying to explain the recent change of mentality of a lot people going overboard,. But if you are looking for the logic behind this,. STOP. Logic and common sense dont exist any more

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never considered it offensive . I was just trying to explain the recent change of mentality of a lot people going overboard,. But if you are looking for the logic behind this,. STOP. Logic and common sense dont exist any more
I hear ya.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if you were going to show pictures of some of your favorite animals and the pictures in order were, 1. lion, 2. bear 3. Raven and 4. a human would you be offended if that human was you?

Further, take note of the logos on teams with human connections, Cowboys =star, 49ers = numbers/ letters, Giants =letters, Saints = Crescent.

Even when you account for the two teams Vikings and Patriots, they are symbolically representing groups and not skin or a scalped head color.

Common sense does exist, it's just not well represented when folks continue to defend and/or support of this offensive name.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you were going to show pictures of some of your favorite animals and the pictures in order were, 1. lion, 2. bear 3. Raven and 4. a human would you be offended if that human was you?

Further, take note of the logos on teams with human connections, Cowboys =star, 49ers = numbers/ letters, Giants =letters, Saints = Crescent.

Even when you account for the two teams Vikings and Patriots, they are symbolically representing groups and not skin or a scalped head color.

Common sense does exist, it's just not well represented when folks continue to defend and/or support of this offensive name.
The head of the Blackfeet Nation was involved in the picture that adorns the Washington helmets. How could it possibly be racist unless the head of the Blackfeet Nation is racist against his own people.

I won't argue the Redskins name issue.

Now, why excactly can't the "Skins" have the Indian Chief adorning their helmet? The head of Blackfeet Nation called those few who are against it a small group of radicals. Yet, we are so insecure that we have to overreact and cower into a bowl of jello over the issue.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The head of the Blackfeet Nation was involved in the picture that adorns the Washington helmets. How could it possibly be racist unless the head of the Blackfeet Nation is racist against his own people.

I won't argue the Redskins name issue.

Now, why excactly can't the "Skins" have the Indian Chief adorning their helmet? The head of Blackfeet Nation called those few who are against it a small group of radicals. Yet, we are so insecure that we have to overreact and cower into a bowl of jello over the issue.
So what?? Tell you what, I'll grant you the notion that the picture is a handsome one, but anytime you see it, you don't say Hmmmm handsome picture. What you do say is what it represents and that connection makes it disparaging. Did you read and understand my previous post? It clearly explained this. Perhaps you don't choose to, as many do and that's ok, right now both the trademark and a circuit court have had their say.

BTW: Just to be clear, there are people who insist that they know of no tribesman personally who tells them that it is a racist name. Well now you do, my mother is 100% Seminole.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was this thread bumped at all?

It’s 5 years old.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Were either of you aware that the origin of the name came from bounties for Native American scalps?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was this thread bumped at all?

It’s 5 years old.
Can't say why they picked it up, but one of them mentioned positions in support of the name change as lacking "common sense." I simply wanted to set the record straight.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were either of you aware that the origin of the name came from bounties for Native American scalps?
There have been a lot of disagreement as to how exactly the name came about. It evolved into a common term used by both Indians and White people during normal discourse. It only became a disparaging word much later. Some excerpts from communications back in the day include:

1769: The first unchallenged use of the word “redskin” occurs when a British lieutenant colonel translates a letter from an Indian chief promising safe passage if the officer visited his tribe in the Upper Mississippi Valley.

“I shall be pleased to have you come to speak to me yourself if you pity our women and our children; and, if any redskins do you harm, I shall be able to look out for you even at the peril of my life,” Chief Mosquito said in his letter, according to a 2005 study by the Smithsonian Institution’s senior linguist emeritus.

Aug. 22, 1812: At a Washington reception for several Native Americans, President James Madison refers to Indians as “red people” or “my red children,” prompting Little Osage Chief Sans Oreilles (No Ears) to voice his support for the administration: “I know the manners of the whites and the red skins.” Then, Sioux Chief French Crow also pledged loyalty: “I am a red-skin,but what I say is the truth, and notwithstanding I came a long way I am content, but wish to return from here.”

July 20, 1815: After tangling with famed explorer-turned-Missouri Territory Gov. William Clark, Meskwaki Chief Black Thunder gives a speech that was printed in the Western Journal in St. Louis. “I turn to all,” the chief is reported as saying, “red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me.”

Sept. 25, 1863: The Winona Daily Republican in Minnesota features an announcement that uses the term “redskin” as a pejorative: “The State reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth.”

Status
Not open for further replies.