• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Disdain for Puig in Clubhouse; New Book

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think where things went amiss, Hammer, is when you asked if Magic has any say in these matters. And he does not.

This argument was much ado about nothing and addressing on simple sentence would have squashed it.

And, in a grander sense, the point that MVPuig made (which I was defending) was not about comparing the current ownership to the previous. I'm sure the MVPuig and I agree that the new ownership is a gajillion times better than the McCourts (or Fox, or the O'Malleys'), and that the new Friedman Front Office is a further gajillion times better than Colletti and company.

Mark Walter has made three very obvious, very smart decisions since buying the Dodgers.

1. Stan Kasten in charge, on a day-in-day-out basis. He's been phenomenal for the team and the organization.
2. Signing that Time Warner deal. Yeah, it's sucked for the fans who can't get TWC, but TWC is gone now. Charter will deal with DirecTV. Dodgers will be on every provider next year, I bet. That channel has been awesome and that monetary deal has justified every lavish expendicture that they have made. Dodgers are spending a fortune and the owners are still in the green. They are killing it, and it's to the fans' benefit (despite the TV bullshit)
3. Keeping Stan in charge, and letting him make the smart move by moving from Colletti to Friedman. They gave Colletti time (he was just "okay" but he was not what this teams' resources deserved), and that it was classy for the team to allow that. They gave him two years to prove he could operate (a) without financial restriction and (b) coexist with new-school analytics. He did alright with (a), but he couldn't do (b). So they gave Kasten the finances to sign Friedman for more than any Front Office exec has ever been paid. More than the Steinbrenners give Cashman.

3 reasons why the current ownership is awesome, and why "fuck Magic" is completely relevant because he had nothing to do with any of that. Magic's ownership stake (fifty million bucks, while we're here) is barely more than the size of Puig's guaranteed contract. Puig will make more money as a baseball player than Magic will make in all of his life's endevours, I guarantee you that. So yeah, fuck Magic. The Dodgers don't need a public face like him to take the fall or the credit.

Walter is doing fine. Kasten is doing fine. Puig, he's polarizing and guess what: any team would love to have him. He's a steal and he's probably the most valuable outfielder in the Dodgers' organization - regardless of Grienke throwing his luggage into the street.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I heard that except about Greinke and Puig almost fighting. If I were Puig I probably would've murdered Zack and his whole family, so kudos to Puig for being able to be held back by JP Howell.

And I can absolutely relate to both of them with situations at my own work, school, and even in my family with my siblings and cousins. So, I don't buy any of it that this is some dysfunctional clubhouse. If you're a passionate person that gets forced to spend every day with people, many who are equally as passionate as you are, you're going to have your highs and your lows.

Makes for fascinating anecdotes, for sure. I'll buy the book. But I won't buy this as some kind of narrative that Puig is cancer or some shit like that. Having an explosive personality (who is surprised that Puig is this way?) is not a barrier that needs to be expelled before a World Serie

When Bill Plaschke writes a column blaming Puig's personality for any playoff failures, I'll gladly ignore that artice. If the Dodgers win it all and he writes the "other" column - the one where the passion is what the Dodgers needed all along - I'll gladly ignore that crap, too.[/QUOTE

And you said Howell was having a bad year, yet he gets a save here!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Puig has been average at best since the hot start of his career!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smed, you're an idiot.

1. You don't even know how to quote someone problerly.
2. The Puig/Howell incident wasn't from this year. Are you retarded?
3. Puig is a whole lot better than "average at best" and even this year is no exception, despite whatever kool-aid you're drinking.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smed, you're an idiot.

3. Puig is a whole lot better than "average at best" and even this year is no exception, despite whatever kool-aid you're drinking.

Actually you are the idiot, I was only making fun of your ridiculous comment about Howell about a month ago, when you said he more or less sucked. You are all about pitchers and their strikeouts, yet Howell is one of our best relievers this year.

As far as Puig, you are the one drinking the koolaid, while Puig may be an electrifying player and can make the highlight reel any given game, he has been average since his hot debut. Over 600 plate appearances last year and 16 HR's and about 70 RBI's, is average in my book, maybe in your's those are all star numbers, but if that's the case, you are an idiot, which I think you are anyway! What's he done this year, oh that's right, put up average numbers. While he has a great arm in right field, he isn't the greatest defensive player either.

As far as you MVPuig, your Avitar tells me that you are a big Puig fan, and you obviously have blinders on when it comes to any bad mouthing of Puig. I will say Puig has a ton of talent, but so far he is average, you guys can turn and twist it any way you want, please tell me what Puig has done that makes him better than average "right now"?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smed, you're an idiot.

As far as you using the term "retarded" that is a very juvenile term, but I expect that from you. Yes I am retarded, because I will continue to learn! The word retard means not fully developed, which in your case I believe you have learned everything that you will ever learn, so you are not retarded, you have already learned everything that you will ever know, get it!

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home Runs and RBI's are not the way to judge a player.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home Runs and RBI's are not the way to judge a player.

I understand that MVPuig, but other than having a cannon for a arm in right field, he isn't that good defensively, for all the speed he has, he isn't a very good base stealer, he doesnt make good decisions on the basepaths, he hits for a decent average. I'm not going to argue with you like a certain knucklehead in here, but please tell me what makes him better than average?

As I said, I'm glad we have him, he has a ton of potential, we've seen glimpses of it, but you can't seriously say he has been anything more than average since his hot debut!

HR's and RBI's aren't the only numbers that matter in evaluating a player, Avg, SB, defense, also come into play, and he is average in all those departments as of right now, do I think he will get better? , yes as I said the guy has unlimited potential, he's just not there yet!

So do tell, how do "you" judge a player?

Last edited:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig is an excellent right fielder. He has incredible range and consistently makes solid reads on the ball off the bat. You could not be more wrong.

Puig was a 4-win player as a rookie and he was 5-win player last year. In what world is that below average?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig is an excellent right fielder. He has incredible range and consistently makes solid reads on the ball off the bat. You could not be more wrong.

Puig was a 4-win player as a rookie and he was 5-win player last year. In what world is that below average?

You must not watch many games, as I've said, Puig has so much potential to be better than he is! But He quite often looks like Jose Canseco in right field you can throw out your little 4 or 5 win player stats, the proof is in black and white, not a very good baserunner, doesn't drive in a alot of runs, doesn't hit a lot of HR, quite often goes into hitting slumps, he is a hot and cold player, when he's hot, he's pretty dam good, when he's cold, he looks clueless, something you obviously are familiar with!

Also you Maroon, retard is a verb, retarded is an adjective! and retarded means underdeveloped, or not fully developed , another definition would be "Villian"

Last edited:

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

right

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Magic's money plays a big role in the "decision making" process no?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He does shell out a lot of money right? Or am i incorrect? I wasn't saying he personally was going into the office and saying I want this player or this player, etc... Just shelling out the cash.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ Puig being an excellent RF.

He is average at best. The advanced metrics back this up. In 2015, he is on par with defensive stalwarts like Trumbo in RF...

Sure, he makes the occasional flashy play, but overall, I wouldn't even call him an above average RF.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ Puig being an excellent RF.

He is average at best. The advanced metrics back this up. In 2015, he is on par with defensive stalwarts like Trumbo in RF...

Sure, he makes the occasional flashy play, but overall, I wouldn't even call him an above average RF.

Why thank you! Some of these guys just have blinders on when it comes to their favorite team or player! While Puig may have one of the best if not best arms in the league, and he does have some highlite reel type plays, he also turns the routine play into an adventure.
I've also told these guys that he has become a average offensive player also. Does he have the tools to be one of the best, yes I think he does, but until he gets his head together he will remain an average player!