• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Discussion Question

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious as to what the board thinks about this. I happen to live in NY. Living in NY has some interesting side effects. I sense the same for people living in SF. We have two team here. The Mets and the Yanks. They are geographically very close (same city). Met fans will NEVER be Yankee fans and the same holds true in reverse. Never the twain shall met. In general the Met fans will root for the NL team in the WS. Most likely they will hope for PHI to make it. They will ALWAYS root against the Yankees. They will root for anyone playing the yankees. They will actually root for Yankee losses. I've found that other fans in other states just don't understand this. They wonder why you can't root for a sister team that is geographically close to you. The reason I bring this up is because I sense it is the same thing with OAK. Since I live in NY I have no feelings about OAK but I do sense that some of you wouldn't root for OAK under ANY circumstances. I'm just curious if my sense of understanding is correct

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just curious as to what the board thinks about this. I happen to live in NY. Living in NY has some interesting side effects. I sense the same for people living in SF. We have two team here. The Mets and the Yanks. They are geographically very close (same city). Met fans will NEVER be Yankee fans and the same holds true in reverse. Never the twain shall met. In general the Met fans will root for the NL team in the WS. Most likely they will hope for PHI to make it. They will ALWAYS root against the Yankees. They will root for anyone playing the yankees. They will actually root for Yankee losses. I've found that other fans in other states just don't understand this. They wonder why you can't root for a sister team that is geographically close to you. The reason I bring this up is because I sense it is the same thing with OAK. Since I live in NY I have no feelings about OAK but I do sense that some of you wouldn't root for OAK under ANY circumstances. I'm just curious if my sense of understanding is correct

I'm a Giants fan from birth, grew up in and around the City and the Peninsula , and I'm completely indifferent to the A's. You could be talking about the Royals and it would make no difference to me. Generally, I find among the locals that A's fans hate the Giants, and Giants fans don't care.

I do wish the A's would move though, so the Giant can have the market all to themselves.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's are the I's. I say that I hate them to make it simple. But in reality, I simply don't notice them.

I will always root against the Yankees, even though I respect the org and agree that they deserve all the success they achieve. I will always root against the Doggies, except in rare situations where their success helps the Giants. WHEN I NOTICE, I root against Oakland, but I actually rarely notice. A WS between the Doggies and the I's would not be watched by this guy. A WS between the Doggies and the Spanks would be watched, but I would probably root for a terrorist attack (kidding).

However, I have not lived in the Bay Area since '93, so I am probably not the right person to answer your question.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Giants fan from birth, grew up in and around the City and the Peninsula , and I'm completely indifferent to the A's. You could be talking about the Royals and it would make no difference to me. Generally, I find among the locals that A's fans hate the Giants, and Giants fans don't care.

I do wish the A's would move though, so the Giant can have the market all to themselves.

Exactly. I call the A's the "I's" (for irrelevant). I don't hate 'em, I just wish they'd move.

A better parallel is the doyers. I will root for any team over the doyers.

--Except, maybe the Yankees -- in which case I root for injuries.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I call the A's the "I's" (for irrelevant). I don't hate 'em, I just wish they'd move.

A better parallel is the doyers. I will root for any team over the doyers.

--Except, maybe the Yankees -- in which case I root for injuries.

Yeah, a Dodger-Yankee WS would be excruciating. I think I'd have to lean Yankees in that case, because each championship they buy adds a little more weight to the argument that we need some kind of payroll reforms.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Giants fan through and through, but I don't hate the A's. I rooted for them in previous World Series (against the Dodgers in '88, obviously, and against the Reds in '90). I'm sad they beat the Giants in '89 and a little jealous that they've won championships while the Giants haven't, but I can't say that I hate them. As I see it, any success from any local sports team is a good thing for the Bay Area. I heard on the radio that the Giants making the postseason is going to mean millions of dollars for the local economy.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Robotech, the A's are far down the list of teams I root against. Really, I don't mind them and hope they do well, as long as it doesn't hurt the Giants. Like the Padres, I like low payroll teams that make noise.

The only teams I really like to see do poorly are the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with Robotech, the A's are far down the list of teams I root against. Really, I don't mind them and hope they do well, as long as it doesn't hurt the Giants. Like the Padres, I like low payroll teams that make noise.

The only teams I really like to see do poorly are the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox.

Why the Cubs? All they've ever done that I care about is beat the Padres in the last week of the season to help the Giants out. YAY CUBBIES!

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the Cubs? All they've ever done that I care about is beat the Padres in the last week of the season to help the Giants out. YAY CUBBIES!

I'm originally from Chicago and I root for the White Sox as well as the Giants (Giants ascendant, long story). Chicago is like NY....if you like one you HATE the other.

Of course I rooted for the Cubs last week, as we all root for even the Dodgers if we need them to win to help us.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm originally from Chicago and I root for the White Sox as well as the Giants (Giants ascendant, long story). Chicago is like NY....if you like one you HATE the other.

Of course I rooted for the Cubs last week, as we all root for even the Dodgers if we need them to win to help us.

But I shower afterward in SCALDING hot water...

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here in NY I really think that Met fans hate the Yankees while Yankee fans are indifferent about the Mets. I'm also a believer that most Met fans hate the Yankees because of a certain Mr. Stienbrenner. The Mets never had the funds that the Yankees had. Whatever the Yankees wanted they purchased. A luxary tax meant nothing to them. This bothered many baseball fans. Particularly the Met fans who had to live with it on a day to day basis. If you asked most Met fans why they hated the Yankees you usually got some rant about George buying every available free agent on the market.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much why we all hate the Yankees.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only hate three teams: 1.) Los Angeles Dodgers ....................................................................................................... 2.) New York Yankees, 3.) The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Rally Monkey's.

I don't hate the Red Sox, I just hate their fans. But has anybody noticed how much Kevin Youkilis looks like Soda Popinski from Mike Tyson's Punchout???

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree with everyone here, I just don't really think about them.

A's don't like Giants- Giants don't care about A's. I think the reason for it is similar to the Yankees/Mets thing. Yank's buy anything they want, have most publicity and all. The Giants have the greater ballpark, bigger market and a certain someone named Barry Bonds. Everything he's done since 93' has overshadowed everything the A's have done.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree with everyone here, I just don't really think about them.

A's don't like Giants- Giants don't care about A's. I think the reason for it is similar to the Yankees/Mets thing. Yank's buy anything they want, have most publicity and all. The Giants have the greater ballpark, bigger market and a certain someone named Barry Bonds. Everything he's done since 93' has overshadowed everything the A's have done.

I dont know if I buy your reasoning. Like I said, I left the BA in '93 and I still have the same feeling towards the A's.

I think a big reason is that the Giants have KNBR while the A's have jumped around from station to station. The constant barrage of radio talk will tend to make one team the talk of the town and the other one seem like the ugly step child...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time I think about the A's is when the Giants aren't playing and I really really want to watch some baseball. I don't root for them but I do like that I get to watch some AL teams.

The A's are boring. Right down to their monotonous drum beating and droning announcers. Their team colors are something you'd find in a stadium toilet.

Loyal fans though, all 6,000 of them.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Giants fan through and through, but I don't hate the A's. I rooted for them in previous World Series (against the Dodgers in '88, obviously, and against the Reds in '90). I'm sad they beat the Giants in '89 and a little jealous that they've won championships while the Giants haven't, but I can't say that I hate them. As I see it, any success from any local sports team is a good thing for the Bay Area. I heard on the radio that the Giants making the postseason is going to mean millions of dollars for the local economy.

glad you made the trip over here, robo!

The only time i openly rooted for the A's is when they played the dodgers in the WS.

I hate those A's / SF hats, btw.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time I think about the A's is when the Giants aren't playing and I really really want to watch some baseball. I don't root for them but I do like that I get to watch some AL teams.

The A's are boring. Right down to their monotonous drum beating and droning announcers. Their team colors are something you'd find in a stadium toilet.

Loyal fans though, all 6,000 of them.

Damn Anthem, that's two reps I owe you now, lol. Well played.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad you made the trip over here, robo!

The only time i openly rooted for the A's is when they played the dodgers in the WS.

I hate those A's / SF hats, btw.

I hate those fucking hats as well, lol. And yes, Robo is the man.