• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

did you all see this?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no place to go but up, so glad it will be different.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think they are going to be situational (if that's a word ?) D. Where they can line up who they want, given down and distance, while matching up to who the opponent has on the field.
Doubt they change their gap philosophy ( though I haven't a clue to what that means).:suds:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think they are going to be situational (if that's a word ?) D. Where they can line up who they want, given down and distance, while matching up to who the opponent has on the field.
Doubt they change their gap philosophy ( though I haven't a clue to what that means).:suds:

they have to change their gap philosophy. If you watch a play, the linemen are being pushed in one direction. the running back is gonna come thru one of the gaps or holes that are created. Its the linebackers job to attack the gaps, or cover the holes. You watch the bears last year and the linebackers were running into the back of the defensive linemen not the hole.

Its why selfish linemen looking for stats are usually not on great defenses. Linemen sacrifice stats to tie up players so their team mates can make the plays.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Tucker running Lovies Defense was stupid anyway. The DC was going to learn their terms and calls? That never made sense to me. It was like the animals running the zoo. And when everything fell apart last year Tucker got the brunt of it. (deserved a lot, but injuries and no depth really hurt)

Whatever they do will/should be better then last year. I'm really encouraged with what Emery did in bringing in these Free Agents. Stay healthy and they could easily be in the Top 10. IMO.

C

cubzzzfanincali

From what they are saying you are probably right, they are going to be situational. They have personnel to play a variety of schemes, and one of the things that is so interesting about the D line offseason haul is how potentially unpredictable the usage will be.

But there are shortcomings of being "situational". For one thing, it is less practice at what you are "best" at. Second, it will probably lead to some confusion-type mistakes and miscommunication from time to time.

It should be interesting to watch. but no doubt we will see a pretty wide variety of front 7 looks. If Tucker is worth his money, 2014 will tell us a lot more than 2013 did.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what they are saying you are probably right, they are going to be situational. They have personnel to play a variety of schemes, and one of the things that is so interesting about the D line offseason haul is how potentially unpredictable the usage will be.

But there are shortcomings of being "situational". For one thing, it is less practice at what you are "best" at. Second, it will probably lead to some confusion-type mistakes and miscommunication from time to time.

It should be interesting to watch. but no doubt we will see a pretty wide variety of front 7 looks. If Tucker is worth his money, 2014 will tell us a lot more than 2013 did.

Doubt they know what they're best at right now.
And you just had to mention Tucker . :lol:
We'll see.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have to change their gap philosophy. If you watch a play, the linemen are being pushed in one direction. the running back is gonna come thru one of the gaps or holes that are created. Its the linebackers job to attack the gaps, or cover the holes. You watch the bears last year and the linebackers were running into the back of the defensive linemen not the hole.

Its why selfish linemen looking for stats are usually not on great defenses. Linemen sacrifice stats to tie up players so their team mates can make the plays.

Just think that's why drafted a big fuck, and a speed guy ( if he gets his weight to where they want it). So they don't have to change D philosophy.
I really never understood gap Tech. any way. Just think it comes down to 1 guy beating the other.
Just think Ego & Ratliff will keep O-lineman off our LBs.
That was the problem last year. The D-line couldn't keep O-lineman off our rookie LBs. And the rooks just didn't know how to handle it.:suds:

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anythings better than the vanilla defense we have had for 4-5 seasons

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really never understood gap Tech. any way. Just think it comes down to 1 guy beating the other.
Just think Ego & Ratliff will keep O-lineman off our LBs.

You answered your own question. Where they line up and what the assignment is will ideally cater to the strengths of the player. That, in turn puts said defender in the best pre snap position to win the matchup.

C

cubzzzfanincali

you mean the defenses that were consistently among the league's greatest? Yeah, we wouldn't want that back. Nah.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I hate it when your team's D is consistently amongst the league's best.

Far more exciting when you could give up a touchdown at any moment. Now, nobody can call THAT vanilla.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You answered your own question. Where they line up and what the assignment is will ideally cater to the strengths of the player. That, in turn puts said defender in the best pre snap position to win the matchup.

There were no ?s asked. Merely facts. :suds:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hate it when your team's D is consistently amongst the league's best.

Far more exciting when you could give up a touchdown at any moment. Now, nobody can call THAT vanilla.
Really? They were?
Over the four seasons before Trestman this is what they were:
Averages: 320 points given up (or 20 points a game) 5273 yards given up (or 329 yards per game)
And averaged the 12th best defense.
While these are all better then 2013, and would have taken that last year. I don't see that as "among the leagues best" as you say.

I will say "rankings" are kinda misleading. What they did really well under Lovie was Take Aways. Averaging 34.5 a season. They also had some very clutch interceptions/punch fumbles. Lovie and company was known for the bend don't break defense. Give up 70 yards and then punch out a ball. Not saying that's good or bad...but it didn't get them in the playoffs much either.
Go Bears!

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? They were?
Over the four seasons before Trestman this is what they were:
Averages: 320 points given up (or 20 points a game) 5273 yards given up (or 329 yards per game)
And averaged the 12th best defense.
While these are all better then 2013, and would have taken that last year. I don't see that as "among the leagues best" as you say.

I will say "rankings" are kinda misleading. What they did really well under Lovie was Take Aways. Averaging 34.5 a season. They also had some very clutch interceptions/punch fumbles. Lovie and company was known for the bend don't break defense. Give up 70 yards and then punch out a ball. Not saying that's good or bad...but it didn't get them in the playoffs much either.
Go Bears!

There were 3 statistical areas where the defense was pretty consistent under Lovie- 3rd down pct....DQBR and DYPA. All were routinely in the top 10 under Lovies watch. IMO, those are quality indicators towards what made those defenses very good.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Averaged the 12th best defense? Just so I clearly understand how to attack this sheer stupidity, according to what?

2012 3rd in point allowed and 5th in yards per game
2011 12th in points and 17th in yards
2010 4th in points and 23rd in yards
2009 21st in points and 16th in yards

All this while leading in turnovers and defensive points scored while carrying mostly severely anemic offenses that piled up three-and-outs and left the D in terrible field position.

I am guessing you are basing 12th best off yards. If so this proves the fallacy of just looking at yardage. Tell me...which 11 teams do you think fielded better defenses than the bears over those four years?

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing you are basing 12th best off yards. If so this proves the fallacy of just looking at yardage. Tell me...which 11 teams do you think fielded better defenses than the bears over those four years?

2009 was not a good defensive year- but that was only one of a just a few (at most) under Lovie. Yes, total yards is about as useless of a barometer as there is. Yards is more telling when normalized down to per attempt.