• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did this last game seal Caldwell's fate?

Did this game seal his fate?

• He was fired anyway

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • He wasn't going to be fired regardless

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • He can still save his job

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or did you think he was gone anyway?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes IMO it did.

I was going to start a thread with a victory, if it had saved his job? I figured a sweep of GB would do so.
I was really wanting to keep Austin, so if it meant keeping Caldwell I was cool with it. After seeing one of the weirdest Hail Mary formations ever. I need to question that. I still like what Austin has done with limited talent this season. Just need time for myself to say he needs to go also. Caldwell and Cooter can though. Had your foot on the throat of division foe and never went for the kill.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or did you think he was gone anyway?

Actually wasn't sure if Martha would tell new GM coming in, this is your coach, deal with it. Don't see it now though. So, yes I felt there was a chance and last night sealed his fate.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a feeling he's not going anywhere

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a feeling he's not going anywhere

Homer!

I already stated my thoughts. It's just wierd to see a new GM and keeping the coach. Too many ways to point the finger later. I almost would like clean slate so we know if the new GM is a idiot or not much quicker than if they waste two more seasons on Caldwell and then him finally getting his man. Then you're looking at two more years before his system runs right.

However I do feel you're correct that Martha may like him more than we know.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO he should be fired now and have Austin promoted to interim. There is nothing to lose.

Reactions: BUD

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he truly made the decision that the Packers were going to do that throw, then run and throw backwards play and not even consider the hail mary than possibly yes fire him but I think the Lions won't fire him.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it may have, but he can win out and save it. I think 7-9 would mean he is gone unless the next GM is another current Ford employee

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should the next hire be John Harbaugh I could see the possibility of Austin staying, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood the "take the gas off the pedal" routine. if we had a true run game avg 120+ per game then maybe.... nah, who am I kidding. go for the jugular. ALWAYS.

#nomercy#

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually wasn't sure if Martha would tell new GM coming in, this is your coach, deal with it. .

The old lady would most likely have done just that :tsk:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish there were some way Caldwell could be fired, and the coordinators kept. But I don't see it.

That conservative 2nd half had Caldwell written all over it. Cooter is aggressive. I'm not sure who is responsible for the formation on the last play, but I still like what Austin has done with the hand he was dealt this year.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homer!

I already stated my thoughts. It's just wierd to see a new GM and keeping the coach. Too many ways to point the finger later. I almost would like clean slate so we know if the new GM is a idiot or not much quicker than if they waste two more seasons on Caldwell and then him finally getting his man. Then you're looking at two more years before his system runs right.

You think a rich old (really, REALLY old) white socialite who was raised by old money and married into more is really going to fall in like with a black man? Personally I would honestly be surprised if she ever even talked directly to him.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homer!

If the GM is smart he'll know what he has before he gets rid of it. Not saying he would be wrong to fire Caldwell and get his own guy but if he does the coach had better be better than Caldwell or he basically kills his Lions career right out the gate, branded a Same Old Lions GM. I completely understand how Lions fans feel about Caldwell and why but he's well respected across the league and more importantly very respected in the building. I'm thinking right now (the rest of the season can change this) that the next GM will keep him around a year to see if it's the right fit.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO he should be fired now and have Austin promoted to interim. There is nothing to lose.

Except Austin. You make Austin an interim and if you don't eventually make him head coach he's gone. If you leave things as is, the next coach can keep Austin unless he gets an HC gig. You also hand a team over to Austin with a depleted staff. Odds are he fails and again you end up letting him go. I just don't think we really accomplish anything by dumping Caldwell now.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude should definitely be fired for not putting CJ in on the last play. No-brainer decision.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think a rich old (really, REALLY old) white socialite who was raised by old money and married into more is really going to fall in like with a black man? Personally I would honestly be surprised if she ever even talked directly to him.
I laughed when I read this. But you're prolly right.

wouldn't doubt if she refers to the entire staff as "the help".

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should the next hire be John Harbaugh I could see the possibility of Austin staying, imo.

Thats what I am hoping for. I was pissed at Austin Thur for that hail mary formation and personnel choices, but he is proving that he can put together a good defense with 3 good players (Ziggy, Slay, Quin) and a bunch of hobos. This defense will finish in the top half yardage wise this year and could possibly get close to the top 10