• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did McCaffery actually break Sanders record?

Did christian McCaffery actually break Barry Sanders record for all purpose yards?

• Yes

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, he found a way to weasel out of his main argument for some 15 odd pages plus didn't he?
I mean it should have gone without saying that people wouldn't consider any kind of achievement from today as being the same as it was nearly 30 years ago. Only a noob to the sport takes that much time to come to an obvious distinction.
I don't even know what that was all about. It shouod have gone without saying, but even still it was said multiple times that his conclusion is just understood by people who have half a clue and understand how the game has changed and evolved...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total yards per touch is not the record. And this is in no way intended at McCaffery. It could be insert name and it's the same discussion. Say it was any other player same scenario. Given the guidelines the NCAA set forth in the previous record . Stating clearly they do not count post season games in stat totals pertaining to records. Due to the fact does not provide clear totals. As a result of post season stats for several eras not being reliable. Do you feel it is considered breaking a record when it is done outside the time frame of the regular season. It's not the player that makes this questionable. It's the past protocol and circumstances involved in the claim. The claim doesn't comply with the standards set forth. I think that's where some posters got lost. They want to think this is about McCaffery but it's not. It's about the history of the game which plays a major role in college football. I'm all for records being broken but when records aren't being held to the same standard. Is that not watering down the history books?

The record is based on SEASON and the NCAA defines what constitutes a season.

If this is not directed at McCaffrey then why were you so unwilling to discuss Derrick Henry who just broke an SEC record in the exact same manor?

What you seem to still not grasp is it doesn't matter what guidelines the NCAA set forth in the '80s, only what guidelines they have set for in the present.

It's not a claim. McCaffrey didn't have any proclamation. The NCAA awarded him this honor. Better yet, his total all-purpose yards awarded him this honor.

It doesn't cheapen the record books or water them down at all IMO. It's simply a different era, no different than passing yards records, passing TD records, and even sack records being broken because the game has become a passing game.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The record was broken during a post season game. Sanders post season games were not included and the NCAA has stated they had not counted the previous recor holders post season stats. Due to lack of sufficient and reliable statistics . Under your premise accepting this record which was broken during a post season game. While all previous records were solely based upon statistics derived from regular season games only. It's no different than saying Peterson broke Eric Dickersons rushing record from 1984. In 2012 because times have changed. This is the best comparison I can give you. That removes the players and leaves a black and white scenario. It's not about the players it's about the standards set forth and the history of the game

Your comparison of Dickerson and Peterson doesn't hold water. The NFL seperates regular season stats and post season stats. The NCAA does not any longer.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what that was all about. It shouod have gone without saying, but even still it was said multiple times that his conclusion is just understood by people who have half a clue and understand how the game has changed and evolved...

You know exactly what it was about. McCaffrey bent USC over!

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrys record was base on the regular season. Carries are moot thats a part of the regular season. He could have had 20 more in the post season. Without the post season McCaffery is 215 yards short. Its not the record for most yards per carry. Its all purpose yards in a season. Being as berry stats were only reflective of the regular season. Do you feel McCaffery surpassing Sanders in yards during a post season game is on par with the guidelines set forth in the previous record. Or is that no different than an NFL player breaking a regular season record during game 1 of the playoffs?

Not that it matters now, but I said touches to indicate all purpose yards, not carries. Anyway for some reason I thought you said that Sander's bowl record wasn't counted but that the stats you listed did take them into account. Clearly those stats you listed say 11 games.

To answer your question, I really don't think it matters. When I look at Sanders body of work it won't matter if Mcaffery has 500 more total yard than him because he's not sniffing the TD mark which, in conjunction to the yardage, tells the full story.

I think they should start incorporating post season stats into the legend's totals since they're doing it for the modern guys and I think that they should list game played next to the records list as well. Did he break the record yeah, but it took him more game to do it only proving he was less productive.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders scored 39 TDs....McCaffery scored 13...Are we seriously going to discuss this?

That is one of the bigger arguments against McCaffery doing it with less touches. A lot of time the only thing stopping Sanders was the end zone.

Also we kick further back now-gives Mccaffery a better chance to pick up yards and gain steam before opposing players get to him.

Records are made to be broken and hats off to McCaffery for doing it but its difficult to compare different eras.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Army and Navy first met on the football field on November 29, 1890. The series has been renewed annually since 1899, except for 1909, 1917, 1918 and 1929. It has been held at several locations throughout its history, including Baltimore and New York City, but has most frequently been played in Philadelphia, roughly equidistant from the two academies. Historically played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (a date on which most other major college football teams end their regular seasons), the game is now played on the second Saturday in December and is traditionally the last game of the season for both teams and the last regular-season game played in Division 1 football. With the permanent expansion of the regular season to 12 games starting in 2006, several conference championship games joined the Army–Navy Game on its then-current date of the first weekend of December. In 2009, the game was moved from the first Saturday in December to the second Saturday; this means that it will no longer conflict with conference championship games and once again is the last non-bowl contest in college football.

Conference championship games are NOT considered 'post season'. They are regular season games. This has been confirmed by several methods, this is just but another example.

The NFL has a 'post season'. Other divisions of college football have 'post seasons'. D1 college ball has a regular season and a bowl season. After tomorrow's game the regular season for D1 college football is over and the bowl season begins. McCaffrey's stats are inclusive of all regular season games he played in. A total of 13 games. This statement is absolute fact.

Again, debate all you want as to whether or not they should add those, or the bowl games. Debate whether or not they should go back and add bowl games to prior records or do something else to normalize them to today. But you can't rewrite the facts no matter how much you dislike them.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this thread still going :dhd: all the data was compiled and a resolve has been met based upon the facts.Threads over A distinction has been made you can keep discussing it further but unless concrete evidence comes forward It shall be deemed with the proper seal "Modern day /End threadstar_burned_zpsde0lxa3h.png

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shock clark is playing that angle. After being so soundly destroyed in what was a seriously flawed premise of a thread he desperately attempted to spin others words into somehow agreeing with silliness, claimed victory in some kind of distorted compromise, and is now acting like his words alone make a thread end. Given how badly he was beaten it's probably a good idea he pretends to ignore it. The clear data in front of him isn't anything he can actually refute. The regular season ends today. All stats accumulated through today are indeed regular season stats. That's a clear plain old fact. One he can't deal with.

Sorry you got so blown up clark. Happens to everyone sooner or later. Hope this attempt at saving pride actually works for you.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shock clark is playing that angle. After being so soundly destroyed in what was a seriously flawed premise of a thread he desperately attempted to spin others words into somehow agreeing with silliness, claimed victory in some kind of distorted compromise, and is now acting like his words alone make a thread end. Given how badly he was beaten it's probably a good idea he pretends to ignore it. The clear data in front of him isn't anything he can actually refute. The regular season ends today. All stats accumulated through today are indeed regular season stats. That's a clear plain old fact. One he can't deal with.

Sorry you got so blown up clark. Happens to everyone sooner or later. Hope this attempt at saving pride actually works for you.
Did not read you're premise has been blown up. The data provided has been analyzed and a standard has been met. Great job all and thank you for the excellent input.Achieving clarity in the records with the term Modern day records is A huge accomplishment. Now we can officially close this thread with pride. I'll forward term Modern day to the NCAA :suds:

star_burned_zpsde0lxa3h.png

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, how's that working for you? More attempts to bury the truth.

If I didn't know you better I'd assume you just discovered football. Like this year. 100% of everyone who has been around college football more than a few years knows the season/career records have moved off different numbers of games all throughout history. This appears to be something new to you. So much so you actually tried to suggest the NCAA themselves didn't have the right to give this record to McCaffrey to being with. :pound: Totally blew up in your face and now you are at the * phase. Everyone else that knows the sport knows those records are based on more games today than they used to be. No * is either needed, nor warranted. It is inherently known. But thank you for helping others who are new to the sport have an introduction to how records work. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at the poll. It seems about right. 70% understand how it works, 30% either don't, or have some kind of grudge against McCaffrey himself. Based on his posts in this and the other mccaffrey thread, Clarkson seems to fall into both of the latter.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at the poll. It seems about right. 70% understand how it works, 30% either don't, or have some kind of grudge against McCaffrey himself. Based on his posts in this and the other mccaffrey thread, Clarkson seems to fall into both of the latter.
I wonder how many of the 30% are more in the camp of understanding he did break it, but don't agree with how the NCAA has changed the criteria over the years. They may have been confused over just how dumb this threads question was to begin with.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, McCaffrey is a true sophomore wallace. He's only 19 years old.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many of the 30% are more in the camp of understanding he did break it, but don't agree with how the NCAA has changed the criteria over the years. They may have been confused over just how dumb this threads question was to begin with.
Good point.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw, it wasn't that ground breaking. I'm sure you've had your ass handed to you many more times than just this thread.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6b8c71ab9fdad57fa1dc8170459533c0.336x252x126.gif