• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Developing Players

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to get drawn into this during the game but starting a thread to see where it goes later.

"Developing players" is what you are supposed to do in the offseason over a period of years.
How many years does it take to teach a guy to stick to his guy, watch him to go for the pass and get his hands up in his chest to break up the pass?
Developing players means you will see improvement from week to week so our guys just don't have the skill level to do it or Stewart is not getting through to them.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really more about position than sticking with their guy.

Our DB's aren't getting beat, they're just not positioning themselves to make plays.

That is all on coaching, though. Rose had a play today where he was in perfect position and almost picked off a long pass over the middle because of it. They need to learn how to get position.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We took a step back on a couple of drives today, secondary was making progress the last couple weeks. We improved 22 spots in passing efficiency rankings. Just gotta keep pounding in to their heads that they don't have help on every play anymore. And a pass rush would help too.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
Not going to get drawn into this during the game but starting a thread to see where it goes later.

How many years does it take to teach a guy to stick to his guy, watch him to go for the pass and get his hands up in his chest to break up the pass?
Developing players means you will see improvement from week to week so our guys just don't have the skill level to do it or Stewart is not getting through to them.
We saw immediate improvement with Sanders.
We saw an immediate decline with Mr. BellyFlop punisher: Raymond

For the linebackers; Eckeler was the man. I don't recall ever seeing a linebacker coor come along so fast as to when he was working with them.. Worked a miracle with Cody Glenn when he switched to lb from rb.

I don't know man, I'm not seeing the improvement that was expected.

Justin Fuente.... (?sp) Memphis coach is proving his worth. Took down Ole Miss today.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJM said it, it's all positioning, there are times where they are good and others they aren't. one thing is breaking on the ball quicker, when they back into a zone, you need to be able to keep an eye on the WR and an eye on the QB and get to the spot quick but sometimes our guys seem to be looking around way too much trying to locate the WR and then they are late. some times it's as simple as situational awareness that is bad. if it's 3rd and short you can't be 8 yards off, when it's 2nd and 20 you can't get beat deep. some of this stuff they should know from film study, which is what's frustrating, they should know what throws the offense likes and occasionally guess that's what they are trying to do and undercut a route for a pick especially if they have safety help over the top.

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJM said it, it's all positioning, there are times where they are good and others they aren't. one thing is breaking on the ball quicker, when they back into a zone, you need to be able to keep an eye on the WR and an eye on the QB and get to the spot quick but sometimes our guys seem to be looking around way too much trying to locate the WR and then they are late. some times it's as simple as situational awareness that is bad. if it's 3rd and short you can't be 8 yards off, when it's 2nd and 20 you can't get beat deep. some of this stuff they should know from film study, which is what's frustrating, they should know what throws the offense likes and occasionally guess that's what they are trying to do and undercut a route for a pick especially if they have safety help over the top.
its kinda like a dude that makes donuts at 4 am
and forgets the sprinkles on the most sold
did I get this right ??

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know much about DL and LB play, but I played DB all my life and those guys just look poorly coached right now.

Either that or they just aren't catching on. It's hard to make assumptions when we're all sitting at home and not seeing what's happening in practice.

But yea, they definitely aren't in position to make plays as of right now. 2nd half of the game today was a bit better at times, though. And then of course at the end there when we went in to prevent and Minny was desperate we started making some big plays. Still though, there were a couple drives in the 3rd quarter when we hadn't taken complete control yet where our DBs started to make a little progress.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
The biggest improvement that I've yet seen to be mentioned was the penalties.....

2 for 25 yards

Holy shit fellas, when was the last time we had 2 penalties in a game.
1. sideline infraction
1. Holding. Newby basically tackled the guy.

:clap:

That's a much needed improvement....

Good Job Huskers!!!!

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest improvement that I've yet seen to be mentioned was the penalties.....

2 for 25 yards

Holy shit fellas, when was the last time we had 2 penalties in a game.
1. sideline infraction
1. Holding. Newby basically tackled the guy.

:clap:

That's a much needed improvement....

Good Job Huskers!!!!
ha, that's funny. the improvement was because we had some of the worst refs of all time. well maybe not the worst, but they weren't calling anything. I think we did clean it up some, but not nearly as much as the stat sheet would lead you to believe.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really more about position than sticking with their guy.

Our DB's aren't getting beat, they're just not positioning themselves to make plays.

That is all on coaching, though. Rose had a play today where he was in perfect position and almost picked off a long pass over the middle because of it. They need to learn how to get position.
How much is that players just not fully being confident in what they are being asked to do? Under the previous staff, they were in bracket coverage all the time, with help over the top. They don't get that help anymore.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got back on here because I forgot I was taking my granddaughter to "Boo in the Zoo" yesterday. Had to leave in the 2nd quarter so I shut down anything that would give me updates on the game and it was 9:00 before I got back home to watch the rest.

So they're not getting in position. Is that because of lack of speed? I know the responsibility is on the back alone now but other than that is there that much difference between this year and last year? I guess I see this position is not getting up to speed and honestly wanted to know is it the talent we have or is it coaching? Not that I could do anything about it if I knew but if it's coaching Riley needs to fix it this year because to me our secondary is the one glaring position that is outright failing in this new system.

edit: Had a great time with her too. Wore her out at the zoo then went to get some Smokey Bonz and she was out cold in her car seat before she got buckled in

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's NOT talent.

I can go back thru 6 years of recruiting threads here and see that every DB was (at the very least) a diamond in the rough that only mid-majors and Nebraska coaches could spot.

Apparently Riley and Co have the same 'eye for the gems'.

Seven%20Dwarfs%20Mine%20Train%20Hidden%20Mickey%20in%20jewels%20next%20to%20Dopey%20ear.JPG

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got back on here because I forgot I was taking my granddaughter to "Boo in the Zoo" yesterday. Had to leave in the 2nd quarter so I shut down anything that would give me updates on the game and it was 9:00 before I got back home to watch the rest.

So they're not getting in position. Is that because of lack of speed? I know the responsibility is on the back alone now but other than that is there that much difference between this year and last year? I guess I see this position is not getting up to speed and honestly wanted to know is it the talent we have or is it coaching? Not that I could do anything about it if I knew but if it's coaching Riley needs to fix it this year because to me our secondary is the one glaring position that is outright failing in this new system.

edit: Had a great time with her too. Wore her out at the zoo then went to get some Smokey Bonz and she was out cold in her car seat before she got buckled in
To me (and this is just my opinion, and I am not a football expert by any means), it looks like they are still figuring out how to play in this new system. People can say we're 7 games in and they should have it by now, but old habits don't just go away. With limitations on spring/fall practice and only being allowed to go full contact 2 days/week in season, that is not a lot of time to build trust in a system. When things aren't going well (as has been the case for our secondary thus far this year) it is easy to revert back to what you know and what is second nature. If you only have one side of bracket coverage, you are gonna give up plays.

Some of this is also related to talent, and players not being particularly well fit for their position. Kalu is not a man cover corner...he's more a fit for a nickel or even safety. Would be nice if Davie could get healthy and get his head right because he's the most physically able guy we have to fit in this scheme...he is just mentally screwed up right now. I'm hoping he comes back from injury and gets it together.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit to make clear who it was directed at since OA posted in between.

It's NOT talent.

I can go back thru 6 years of recruiting threads here and see that every DB was (at the very least) a diamond in the rough that only mid-majors and Nebraska coaches could spot.

Apparently Riley and Co have the same 'eye for the gems'.

View attachment 41657

You know I was trying but I can't recall the last time you posted anything of substance. You seem too have become a an old curmudgeon right before my eyes.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me (and this is just my opinion, and I am not a football expert by any means), it looks like they are still figuring out how to play in this new system. People can say we're 7 games in and they should have it by now, but old habits don't just go away. With limitations on spring/fall practice and only being allowed to go full contact 2 days/week in season, that is not a lot of time to build trust in a system. When things aren't going well (as has been the case for our secondary thus far this year) it is easy to revert back to what you know and what is second nature. If you only have one side of bracket coverage, you are gonna give up plays.

Some of this is also related to talent, and players not being particularly well fit for their position. Kalu is not a man cover corner...he's more a fit for a nickel or even safety. Would be nice if Davie could get healthy and get his head right because he's the most physically able guy we have to fit in this scheme...he is just mentally screwed up right now. I'm hoping he comes back from injury and gets it together.

I hope you are right because it is down right depressing when the first play of the game (or near first, don't remember) is a completed pass from a qb who can not pass and Rose is 3 yards off the receiver when the ball gets there. I'm willing to give Riley time and certainly am not one of those hoping to see him fail but the first instinct is to think, Oh shit here we go. It's going to be a long day again.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much is that players just not fully being confident in what they are being asked to do? Under the previous staff, they were in bracket coverage all the time, with help over the top. They don't get that help anymore.

I think that's a huge part of it. It's a completely different deal this year and these guys haven't been able to adapt yet.

And while this Pass Defense has been awful, our Run D doesn't get talked about enough. It is has been great this year. And it's not like teams aren't trying to run at us. Minnesota is a good rushing team.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you are right because it is down right depressing when the first play of the game (or near first, don't remember) is a completed pass from a qb who can not pass and Rose is 3 yards off the receiver when the ball gets there. I'm willing to give Riley time and certainly am not one of those hoping to see him fail but the first instinct is to think, Oh shit here we go. It's going to be a long day again.
I think the problem is people expect to see some drastic improvement in-season. That goes back to my point about player development being for the offseason. In-season, there is limited practice time, and a lot of it goes towards game prep.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit to make clear who it was directed at since OA posted in between.

You know I was trying but I can't recall the last time you posted anything of substance. You seem too have become a an old curmudgeon right before my eyes.

Substance? I have the substances you seek.

koolaid-10-different-flavours.jpg

Domino-Sugar-Granulated-10-lb-bag?maxSideSize=300.jpg

water_faucet.jpg

lulz