• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2018 Thread

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made me sick to my stomach to read about Buck Farmer being thought of as the #6 starter going into Spring Training. What about seeing if Francisco Liriano would sign with Detroit for one year and between $6-8mil....les with more incentives would be better. Even if he can't beat out one of the five (ahem) starters, I am sure he could find a spot in long relief.
It doesn't have to be Liriano....Wade Miley has been crap for a couple of years, but he still has to be better than Buck Farmer. Tillman? The old pitcher from the movie Major League? For Christ's sake - Mike Pelfrey?????
:)

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made me sick to my stomach to read about Buck Farmer being thought of as the #6 starter going into Spring Training. What about seeing if Francisco Liriano would sign with Detroit for one year and between $6-8mil....les with more incentives would be better. Even if he can't beat out one of the five (ahem) starters, I am sure he could find a spot in long relief.
It doesn't have to be Liriano....Wade Miley has been crap for a couple of years, but he still has to be better than Buck Farmer. Tillman? The old pitcher from the movie Major League? For Christ's sake - Mike Pelfrey?????

The projected Tiger rotation of Fulmer-Zimmermann-Fiers-Norris-Boyd is already not very good. If/when there are injuries, the lack of organizational depth will be very apparent. Farmer, Chad Bell, Artie Lewicki.... ugh!

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are in a good spot ... I have then going 72-90. They can only improve ... if they lose 100 games, they draft another stud. If they win in the middle 90's they are looking at a wildcard spot. Can wait ... Im all in.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs projected Detroit at 72-90 this year. IMO, that is generous. In fact 72-75 wins for the Tigers and I'm picking Gardenhire for Mgr of the Year

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are in a good spot ... I have then going 72-90. They can only improve ... if they lose 100 games, they draft another stud. If they win in the middle 90's they are looking at a wildcard spot. Can wait ... Im all in.

Fangraphs projected Detroit at 72-90 this year. IMO, that is generous. In fact 72-75 wins for the Tigers and I'm picking Gardenhire for Mgr of the Year

I have to agree with Iffy here.

And if the second scenario in Voltaire's post (in bold) plays out, Gardy is MANAGER OF THE CENTURY!

I have the Tigers flirting with 100 losses... 60-65 wins, tops. They need excellent health and a TON of things to go right to win 72+.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My baby brother's text from Tigers Fantasy Camp in Lakeland: "I'm hanging with Steve Kemp and Tom Brookens at a Hooters. My life is complete."

:D

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Iffy here.

And if the second scenario in Voltaire's post (in bold) plays out, Gardy is MANAGER OF THE CENTURY!

I have the Tigers flirting with 100 losses... 60-65 wins, tops. They need excellent health and a TON of things to go right to win 72+.

Last year, everyone was saying 100 losses for Minnesota ... that didn't turn out as planned. The Tigers lost 98 games last year and they are a worse team now then when they ended the season. I'm not a fool ... I expect the Tigers to lose around 100 games. But they are in a really weak division with the only legitimate team being Cleveland ... I will be happy with whatever happens with the Tigers this year, but I am not counting us out in January.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers marketing team is already pushing on social media that 2018 is the 50th anniversary of the '68 World Series title, and that there will be promotions/player appearances throughout the year.

Trying desperately to come up with reasons for fans to go to the CoPa. Like I said on the old board, the ticket/hot dog/soda/foam finger combo packages won't be far behind.

As a White Sox fan in Detroit, I would be quite happy if ticket prices are in the toilet each time they come to town.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila is a fool. HOW did he let one of the great ''names'' in baseball slip by him? From MLB Rumors:

''Adding to a run on bounceback pitching candidates, the Diamondbacks have struck a minors deal with lefty Antonio Bastardo, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today''

You are dealing with a potential 100 loss team, and you pass up a PR gem like BASTARDO??? Idiot

(Perhaps Avila is hoping to sign South American star pitcher Clappy Gonorrhea ?)

Last edited:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Tigers sign Alexi Amarista. He of the .238 career BA. He can play inf or of, so JaCoby Jones needs to worry, especially since Amarista has a better glove.

Just a thought....how about using Amarista as a ''roving centerfielder"? Put two quick guys like Mahtook in right and Leonys Martin in left and keep your fingers crossed. (Nick C goes to his best spot - DH). With a slugging middle infield consisting of Iglesias, Amarista, and Machado....I see opposing teams calling up AAA and AA pitchers every time they face Detroit. Might give the team an edge. LOL

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster Resource's Lineup Prediction...

Mahtook cf
Candelario 3b
Cabrera 1b
V. Martinez DH
Castellanos rf
McCann c
L. Martin cf
Machado 2b
Iglesias ss

Has VMart been cleared medically?
Surprisingly - with the exception of Leonys Martin, everyone in that batting order hit over .250. Are they capable of scoring 6-7 runs a game to get a 'W' for the pitching staff? Nah!

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahtook cf
Candelario 3b
Cabrera 1b
V. Martinez DH
Castellanos rf
McCann c
L. Martin cf
Machado 2b
Iglesias ss

You have two guys playing CF. I'm guessing Mahtook is in left.

The health of V-mart and Cabrera will play a big part in the run-scoring potential.

A big "UGGGHHHH" for the 6-9 batters.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have two guys playing CF. I'm guessing Mahtook is in left.

The health of V-mart and Cabrera will play a big part in the run-scoring potential.

A big "UGGGHHHH" for the 6-9 batters.

Yes...my typo, they had Mahtook in lf. VMart was medically cleared in mid-December for full baseball activities. For the Tigers sake, I hope he puts together a good season, so he can stretch his career one more year - with a different team. But, at 39, I would not give him more than a couple of months to prove he has something left. I'd just as soon see those DH at bats going to younger players, either directly or through Cabrera.

I still suspect Detroit to rummage through the 'bottom-of-the-barrel' when the better free agents have all been taken. They might find a pitcher or two to bring to camp, or a veteran inf or of, who will accept a minor league deal. 99% chance that those guys are just a waste of time....but you never know when you might stumble on a Mark Lowe. :)

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still suspect Detroit to rummage through the 'bottom-of-the-barrel' when the better free agents have all been taken. They might find a pitcher or two to bring to camp, or a veteran inf or of, who will accept a minor league deal. 99% chance that those guys are just a waste of time....but you never know when you might stumble on a Mark Lowe. :)

As I've stated before, there is precious little pitching talent in the minors that is less than 2-4 years away from the bigs. After the projected starting 5 (Fulmer, Zimm, Fiers, Norris, Boyd), you've got Buck Farmer and a bunch of nobodies at the AAA level. And the bullpen situation is even worse. They can barely fill out a serviceable bullpen for opening day. Any injuries, and it's an absolute disaster.

So, I'd say a "stopgap" free agent or two isn't a bad idea.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox sign Bruce Rondon to a minor league contract. ???I thought the White Sox were rebuilding???

I assume that Joe Jimenez is now the defacto Latin, flame-throwing, relief pitcher that will tantalize for a few years but ultimately fail.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox sign Bruce Rondon to a minor league contract. ???I thought the White Sox were rebuilding???

I assume that Joe Jimenez is now the defacto Latin, flame-throwing, relief pitcher that will tantalize for a few years but ultimately fail.

Rondon is the perfect example of what Nuke LaLoosh would've turned out like if he didn't have a catcher like Crash Davis.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've stated before, there is precious little pitching talent in the minors that is less than 2-4 years away from the bigs. After the projected starting 5 (Fulmer, Zimm, Fiers, Norris, Boyd), you've got Buck Farmer and a bunch of nobodies at the AAA level. And the bullpen situation is even worse. They can barely fill out a serviceable bullpen for opening day. Any injuries, and it's an absolute disaster.

So, I'd say a "stopgap" free agent or two isn't a bad idea.

Take a look at some of the pitchers Detroit could be selecting from, in order to fill out their pen. VerHagen, Dan Stumpf, Blaine Hardy, Joe Jimenez, Buck Farmer, Chad Bell, Zac Reininger, Johnny Barbato, Enrique Burgos. What a collection of junk.