• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dennis Smith Jr.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that most want A.D. on the Lakers and not the Knicks, but why are so many folks so down on this kid as a trade piece???

Still only 21 and a lot of talent in play here. He isn't any worse of a shooter than some of the other options the Pels' have had in the backcourt alongside Jrue Holiday in recent years (namely Elfrid Payton and Rajon Rondo), and could eventually grow to be a potential replacement for Holiday, who has three years left on his deal with an opt-out for the 2020-21 season.

Smith was too raw to be a significant contributor as a rookie, and it was never going to work with he on Doncic in the same backcourt no matter how hard Dallas tried. Frankly, I can't think of many worse fits.

@WiggyRuss I know he was one of your favorites from the 2017 draft class, and I especially want to get your opinion on this kid now that the star has dimmed somewhat.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what it is, but he fell out of favor with Dallas last year and they were looking to move him. Later on, NY had to move Zinger and the pieces matched up. I don't think he has re-established whatever was working for him early on as of yet, so maybe a good time to buy low?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people are necessarily down on him, so much as they don't know what kind of player he is, or will be. He's an explosive athlete, but he's not really efficient with his scoring. He has decent assist numbers, but compounds that with high turnovers as well. Defensively, he's about average.

If you're the coach, how do you best utilize him? What do you emphasize to make him better? What's his ceiling projection? These are all questions that are not easily identifiable...at least to me.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people are necessarily down on him, so much as they don't know what kind of player he is, or will be. He's an explosive athlete, but he's not really efficient with his scoring. He has decent assist numbers, but compounds that with high turnovers as well. Defensively, he's about average.

If you're the coach, how do you best utilize him? What do you emphasize to make him better? What's his ceiling projection? These are all questions that are not easily identifiable...at least to me.

This.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He progresses well in 2K but he is just another talented prospect and youngster that will serve as a bench player. Who knows he will turn into a pretty solid role player with the right mentorship. If he stays on the Knicks, it won't be good for him

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that most want A.D. on the Lakers and not the Knicks, but why are so many folks so down on this kid as a trade piece???

Still only 21 and a lot of talent in play here. He isn't any worse of a shooter than some of the other options the Pels' have had in the backcourt alongside Jrue Holiday in recent years (namely Elfrid Payton and Rajon Rondo), and could eventually grow to be a potential replacement for Holiday, who has three years left on his deal with an opt-out for the 2020-21 season.

Smith was too raw to be a significant contributor as a rookie, and it was never going to work with he on Doncic in the same backcourt no matter how hard Dallas tried. Frankly, I can't think of many worse fits.

@WiggyRuss I know he was one of your favorites from the 2017 draft class, and I especially want to get your opinion on this kid now that the star has dimmed somewhat.

Kid has a serious motivation issue. When he wants to play he is amazing. Problem is he wants to play about 8 games a season.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate to see him on the Rockets or Spurs. He is going to play his ass off against Dallas every time he sees us. Rest of the time he is a backup PG.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the guy, he's going to be a good 1 and be a middle of the pack PG league wide.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has upside and could end up being a better player.

But, he is a ball dominant scoring 1 that doesn't shoot very well.

Most NBA teams are looking to build movement based offenses with as many shooters as possible to space the floor. As talented as DSJ is he does not fit that style of play.

That is why Dallas gave up on him (didn't fit Doncic) and also why the Knicks have 3 trade pieces with more value than DSJ (#3 pick, Robinson, Knox).

That all said, the fact that DSJ is their 4th most valuable young asset makes a Knick trade package extremely exciting. Because DSJ does still have a lot of upside.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has upside and could end up being a better player.

But, he is a ball dominant scoring 1 that doesn't shoot very well.

Most NBA teams are looking to build movement based offenses with as many shooters as possible to space the floor. As talented as DSJ is he does not fit that style of play.

That is why Dallas gave up on him (didn't fit Doncic) and also why the Knicks have 3 trade pieces with more value than DSJ (#3 pick, Robinson, Knox).

That all said, the fact that DSJ is their 4th most valuable young asset makes a Knick trade package extremely exciting. Because DSJ does still have a lot of upside.

Kuzma or Ball would be the Lakers 4th best asset (included in a trade). Is that better than DSJ? Without question.

We haven't seen enough consistency from DSJ to even say he has a lot of upside. Going off once every 20 games, he is bound to be either: A. a pretty damn good backup PG/bench player B. a flame out that never lives up to the hype C. an okay bench player D. A starter on a really bad team like the Knicks

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuzma or Ball would be the Lakers 4th best asset (included in a trade). Is that better than DSJ? Without question.

We haven't seen enough consistency from DSJ to even say he has a lot of upside. Going off once every 20 games, he is bound to be either: A. a pretty damn good backup PG/bench player B. a flame out that never lives up to the hype C. an okay bench player D. A starter on a really bad team like the Knicks

Ball and DSJ are pretty comparable actually, IMO.

Although for different reasons

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball and DSJ are pretty comparable actually, IMO.

Although for different reasons

He does have better stats than I originally thought. Kuzma is much better right now but yeah Ball is pretty comparable. I agree.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have better stats than I originally thought. Kuzma is much better right now but yeah Ball is pretty comparable. I agree.

Considering that a lot of Ball's value isn't stat-evident (defense, court vision, etc), that doesn't speak well for DSJ. Nowhere near the rebounder either, and much smaller.

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Mavericks gave him away when they didn't need to. Hard to imagine he'll have any trade value until he can prove that he belongs on the court.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mavericks gave him away when they didn't need to. Hard to imagine he'll have any trade value until he can prove that he belongs on the court.
Gave him away....for Porzingis

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they had to do it....to get Porzingis
The question of the thread was why his trade value is low.

I think that answers the question. The Mavericks gave him away as a throw in. And Smith did nothing once he got to NY.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question of the thread was why his trade value is low.

I think that answers the question. The Mavericks gave him away as a throw in. And Smith did nothing once he got to NY.
Ok fair enough

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is now living proof that a player is only as good as the organization he plays for. The Knicks are an awful organization and DSJ is a terrible basketball player.