• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DeMarcus Dobbs at TE?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
YES! This is what I've been suggesting for a long time! The Niners could use another big, blocking TE. I suggested looking for a smaller quicker tackle, but I guess a defensive tackle fits that description.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Could be problematic for Byham, though he can play FB as well. I'd like to see Byham make it after a generally very solid rookie campaign, but the injury and lack of PS eligibility might spell doom for him.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks more like they are trying to find multiple roles for him to ensure he makes the roster. We need him on the DL right now.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks more like they are trying to find multiple roles for him to ensure he makes the roster. We need him on the DL right now.

I thinks it's maybe a little trying to keep him on the roster but probably more trying to not keep a lot of TE's/FB's. I think the numbers at WR and HB are making them want to have depth at TE and FB without having to keep very many one dimensional guys.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The other thing to consider is since these are non contact practices there is only so much you can do as a lineman (offense and defense) with no contact.

So why not get him some reps at TE because pass catching and route running is something you can work on without contact.

Also I agree with mem in that if he can effectively play the role of blocking TE or FB than that's one less roster spot taken that could be used on another position we're heavy in like RB or WR.

My guess is the thinking is he's going to be a backup DL so instead of him rotting on the bench why not utilize him some on offense instead of Sopoaga who is a starter. Give him a few snaps on the DL in the rotation to keep guys fresh and give him a couple of snaps on offense as an extra TE or FB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the main thing they learn is how to hang onto the ball. not only upon impact, but even while running.............squeeze HARD.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played TE in HS, so it's not a stretch to see him playing there during OTA's. He played Basketball in HS as well, which provided both Gates & Gonzales with skills they are constantly using to their advantage in football.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He played TE in HS, so it's not a stretch to see him playing there during OTA's. He played Basketball in HS as well, which provided both Gates & Gonzales with skills they are constantly using to their advantage in football.

ok good, so if Sopoaga and Staley can catch and run, Dobbs can do it too.

but again, the Coaches need to emphasize ball security. these guys tend to stick out their arms (with ball in it), in trying to 'bowl over' the first tackler.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok good, so if Sopoaga and Staley can catch and run, Dobbs can do it too.

but again, the Coaches need to emphasize ball security. these guys tend to stick out their arms (with ball in it), in trying to 'bowl over' the first tackler.

Having experience at TE, Dobbs certainly knows how to catch and tuck - but your point is certainly valid.