• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Definitely think Niners should take on shot on Peyton after this

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Manning is completely open to creating a contract in which he would be paid little or no guaranteed money up front and he would have to earn every cent he makes strictly through performance, according to sources."

Complete incentive contract. That sounds like he knows for a fact he's ready!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Manning is completely open to creating a contract in which he would be paid little or no guaranteed money up front and he would have to earn every cent he makes strictly through performance, according to sources."

Complete incentive contract. That sounds like he knows for a fact he's ready!

...Or that he knows for a fact that he is a risk...

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the right situation I would bring him in not for huge $$$ though because he is a risk

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Updated: February 2, 2012, 5:57 PM ET

Who should target Peyton Manning?With Manning cleared to play, these five teams should take a close
By Mel Kiper

Peyton Manning could still have a big impact for the right team in 2012.

A couple months ago, I was asked for my take on where Peyton Manning should end up given that the Colts were close to a lock to clinch the No. 1 pick. It's no slight to Manning, but I've maintained all along that Indy should be willing to take Andrew Luck even if Manning was healthy, because they know better than any franchise right now that locking in a good, healthy quarterback is paramount for the long-term success of an organization.

Since then, it's become clearer that Luck is a part of the near future in Indy, and that the Colts really can't keep both Luck and Manning for reasons mostly financial. With Manning now medically cleared to play, here is a list of teams who should be -- not necessarily who are -- interested in him.

1. Washington Redskins
After a season with a mix of Rex Grossman and John Beck at the controls, no team figures to be more active than Washington in the quarterback market. This could mean anything from looking at a guy like Matt Flynn, or even moving up in the draft to grab Robert Griffin III.

Regardless, if Daniel Snyder and Mike Shanahan are convinced that Manning is healthy and can offer more than a one-year solution, you have to assume they'll have interest. I'm not sure whether Manning would want to be in the same division as his brother, but the Redskins would be crazy not to ask. You could even see them taking interest in the trio of Manning, Jeff Saturday and Reggie Wayne.

2. Miami Dolphins
New Dolphins coach Joe Philbin -- who came to Miami after running the offense in Green Bay -- might make this a more attractive landing spot for Flynn, but I think Miami should be interested in a healthy Manning because Miami might be more appealing to him than Washington. The Dolphins have an improving run game, some good options in the passing game, and this setting wouldn't require two games against Eli. The Dolphins were really close to being a good team in 2011, and if they made a strong pitch, it could make a lot of sense.

3. Seattle Seahawks
Seattle has a very well-constructed roster outside of the quarterback position. I don't assume the Seahawks will be interested in Manning because they seem like they really trust their own instincts, but they should know the second-guessing will be rampant if they go .500 again without improved play at quarterback. This is another team I can see looking hard at the draft (I really thought they might take Andy Dalton last year), but the Seahawks would be really dangerous with solid quarterback play.

4. Cleveland Browns
The Browns still don't know what they have in Colt McCoy, but they know they have to be better on offense to compete in the difficult AFC North. This is another team that could be in play for Griffin, which makes a lot of sense given the addition of Childress. Not sure Manning or the Browns would have interest, but it's an option.

5. New York Jets
This would be a reach, as I think they're very inclined to see if Mark Sanchez can improve with Tony Sparano there directing the offense, but a two-Manning town? I'd watch.

Mel Kiper has been the premier name in NFL draft prospect evaluations for more than three decades. He started putting out his annual draft guides in 1978 and started contributing to ESPN as an analyst in 1984. For more from Mel, check out his annual draft publications or his home page. He can also be found on Twitter.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex had been awful this would be an easy decision.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I could see why Manning would want to play for the Jets, but I wouldn't touch those other teams with a 50 foot pole if I here he. MAYBE Seattle, but probably not (because I'd want to be on the best team in the division).

The Niners are EASILY the best fit for him. They have a better cap situation than the Jets & they don't have any money on the cap assigned to a starting QB. The Niners' D is better too. And he'd have to battle the Patriots for the division.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do people really think money is the only reason some are hesitant to get Manning? I understand that plenty of players have had neck injuries and lived another day and any QB is one hit away from ending their careers, but the concern should mainly be based upon health not money, because as Sickness pointed out, even if Manning wanted a lot of money, he could set the payments off contractually. If he gets injured, it's not like we're going to think, "well, at least we didn't have to pay him." It's going to be, what should we do at QB? Some of course are confident with Kaep and they have legitimate opinions. If Manning comes, I hope Alex goes somewhere because taking a back seat would be a regression. I thought he gained some cajones this year (not completely) and some confidence. If he signs after Manning does, it could be three things - 1) He thinks Manning will get injured. 2) He thinks he can beat out Manning in a QB competition. 3) He actaully was ready to put on a ballcap and sit on the bench.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stupid Alex all not being awful and shit.

Even when he's good he screws things up.

haaaa, good one!

we fans can say "for the right price" all we want, but Peyton is going to look for the best situation to succeed. just because we have a good team doesn't mean its HIS best situation.

from our view, we'd look pretty "non-footballish" passing on Alex Smith and then struggling next season? its just too easy to think Peyton will join us and automatically execute without missing a beat?

we'd only look to Peyton (or other vet) if Alex demands more money that we think he's worth. then we'll start calling Alex the bad guy for being greedy, yeah.......he loses no matter.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with Manning on a contract like that... although I imagine he wants to go to a team with quality receivers. I wonder if Reggie Wayne intends to follow Manning to his new team if possible. Signing Manning/Wayne would fix a lot of the team's offensive problems.... for maybe 2 years which seems to be the team's best window now with Gore and Justin Smith getting up there in NFL age.

I know Manning's neck would be an issue if he were in a position like LB, where every time he tried to make a tackle he'd be risking permanent damage. At QB, how often does he take neck hits? Especially in this day-and-age where the NFL lets teams with HOF QBs hold like crazy on the offensive line to keep the star QB playing. Hell with Manning, Davis will probably turn into a stone wall at RT with all the holding the NFL will let him get away with.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haaaa, good one!

we fans can say "for the right price" all we want, but Peyton is going to look for the best situation to succeed. just because we have a good team doesn't mean its HIS best situation.

from our view, we'd look pretty "non-footballish" passing on Alex Smith and then struggling next season? its just too easy to think Peyton will join us and automatically execute without missing a beat?

we'd only look to Peyton (or other vet) if Alex demands more money that we think he's worth. then we'll start calling Alex the bad guy for being greedy, yeah.......he loses no matter.

If the contract isn't as big of an impediment as we thought it was, should Alex hold off on signing until Manning signs with somebody? Two thoughts - it's not like Alex could hurry up and get a debilitating contract with the Niners preventing Manning from coming. Plus, it's not likely that he's going to pressure a big price over 10. Nothing to gain from signing if there's a chance you lose it to Manning later. Lose it to Kaep - that's your fault.Losing to Manning, not so much. Second, Alex doesn't have a better situation than here so he wouldn't be in a good position either way if Manning came. Plus, adding Manning would take away from that best situation, IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Peyton brings a lot more attention to us, IDK thats good or bad BUT does not gurantee us the Super Bowl.

Like Ray said, if Alex played horrible, an easier decision.

I don't think Harbs will do that to Alex or bring in Peyton to his offense, idk why. We could invest the $$$ back to our FAs and offseason acquisitions.

But will I be mad if it goes down, probably not, but as a fan, it puts pressure on Peyton to win it now IMO. With Peyton though, one good clean hit could really hurt him thus hurting us more in the long run...

I dunno....

Tell him to go the Redskins.... Peyton and Shanny... make it work.

Alexx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This would be easily one of the dumbest things they could do right now. I am still trying to figure out why so many niner fans are already abandoning Alex Smith.. In my opinion Alex did just what he should have done all season. He wasn't out throwing for 400 yards a game but given the playcalling and game plan the niners use neither would peyton or drew brees or rodgers or brady if they were on this team. We don't need a new QB what we need is some help for whatever QB we do end up with.

Our offensive line could use some fine tuning.

We had one weapon that was worth a damn all year and that was vernon davis. Even Delanie Walker was a bigger threat than most of our wide receivers. Gore can catch better than most of our receivers.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that kendel hunter wasn't returning the kicks in the championship game. Why in the fuck not?!?!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Peyton brings a lot more attention to us, IDK thats good or bad BUT does not gurantee us the Super Bowl.

Like Ray said, if Alex played horrible, an easier decision.

I don't think Harbs will do that to Alex or bring in Peyton to his offense, idk why. We could invest the $$$ back to our FAs and offseason acquisitions.

But will I be mad if it goes down, probably not, but as a fan, it puts pressure on Peyton to win it now IMO. With Peyton though, one good clean hit could really hurt him thus hurting us more in the long run...

I dunno....

Tell him to go the Redskins.... Peyton and Shanny... make it work.

Not saying that Alex has a better chance or Manning couldn't do it here, but there was a reason he has only one ring, right? If our roster is the same or worse than the Colts had, then this pressure would be worse than the positive attention. Then again, as I said, I wouldn't put it past him to overcome the pressure.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying that Alex has a better chance or Manning couldn't do it here, but there was a reason he has only one ring, right? If our roster is the same or worse than the Colts had, then this pressure would be worse than the positive attention. Then again, as I said, I wouldn't put it past him to overcome the pressure.

Peyton will still need WRs to throw to, if ours aren't getting open reguraly for Alex, why with Peyton?

Plus Alex has the mobility to scramble and can endure more hits ATM than Peyton and we know there'll be some hits on our QB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be easily one of the dumbest things they could do right now. I am still trying to figure out why so many niner fans are already abandoning Alex Smith.. In my opinion Alex did just what he should have done all season. He wasn't out throwing for 400 yards a game but given the playcalling and game plan the niners use neither would peyton or drew brees or rodgers or brady if they were on this team. We don't need a new QB what we need is some help for whatever QB we do end up with.

Our offensive line could use some fine tuning.

We had one weapon that was worth a damn all year and that was vernon davis. Even Delanie Walker was a bigger threat than most of our wide receivers. Gore can catch better than most of our receivers.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that kendel hunter wasn't returning the kicks in the championship game. Why in the fuck not?!?!

Iguana, is that you? Or maybe seksiwidow? Just kidding. I would rethink the username unless your name is Alex (no, not the player). Just my two cents. It isn't worth much.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton will still need WRs to throw to, if ours aren't getting open reguraly for Alex, why with Peyton?

Plus Alex has the mobility to scramble and can endure more hits ATM than Peyton and we know there'll be some hits on our QB.

Peyton would take more risks and I do give him the benefit of the doubt on throwing receivers open, but it wouldn't happen overnight. Our receivers need to learn how to be the other side of the equation. Not only do I think they have troubles getting open, I think they have troubles route-running, drops, and getting next to open. I think it's a pretty damn hard thing to do so I'm not actually placing all that much blame on them, relatively speaking. I don't know if I've been brainwashed by the armchair QBs full of hyperbole and cliches, but I think there's a lot that some QBs can do with unopen receivers. I'm not counting Alex out though if he has a full offseason and some patience this next season. It won't be perfect, but with a great defense it may be enough.

Last edited by a moderator: