• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Definitely think Niners should take on shot on Peyton after this

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying that Alex has a better chance or Manning couldn't do it here, but there was a reason he has only one ring, right? If our roster is the same or worse than the Colts had, then this pressure would be worse than the positive attention. Then again, as I said, I wouldn't put it past him to overcome the pressure.

Peyton is 9-10 in the playoffs 5-10 in the years he didn't win the superbowl. 7 times they went out in their 1st round. Wow.

29 TDs 19 INTs in the playoffs 88 QBR is ok, but not spectacular. He wasn't even very good when they won the Superbowl... 3 TDs 7 INTs in the 06 playoffs is actually terrible.

I'm not saying he sucks, but he doesn't exactly elevate his game in the playoffs. And by no means would having him come here guarantee anything. And then there's the whole tender age of 36 with a surgically repaired neck business.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Manning is completely open to creating a contract in which he would be paid little or no guaranteed money up front and he would have to earn every cent he makes strictly through performance, according to sources."

Complete incentive contract. That sounds like he knows for a fact he's ready!

If he's open to a performance-based contract he'll be really popular in free agency.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm gonna touch on a couple points you guys have made.

1. Peyton (if not hurt) is the best QB in the league hands down.
2. Even if we're guaranteed Alex will duplicate what he did this year, he's still not even close to Peyton.
3. The WRs aren't that good but they will be upgraded. And I'm not so quick to say that Indy's WRs were so great. Without Peyton, Garcon is nobody. Reggie Wayne has talent, but not enough to duplicate what he's done in the past without Peyton.
4. You've seen what he can do with Clark. Imagine him with Vernon.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would sign Alex and Peyton to both incentive filled contracts because if one isn't playing, he's barely getting paid.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm gonna touch on a couple points you guys have made.

1. Peyton (if not hurt) is the best QB in the league hands down.
2. Even if we're guaranteed Alex will duplicate what he did this year, he's still not even close to Peyton.
3. The WRs aren't that good but they will be upgraded. And I'm not so quick to say that Indy's WRs were so great. Without Peyton, Garcon is nobody. Reggie Wayne has talent, but not enough to duplicate what he's done in the past without Peyton.
4. You've seen what he can do with Clark. Imagine him with Vernon.

Is a recovered from a serious injury and off for one year Peyton 'still' the best QB in the league hands down?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone see Peyton jumping up & down yesterday? That's a good sign. I can't jump up & down a neck injury I've had for years.

...Well I can, but it hurts.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is a recovered from a serious injury and off for one year Peyton 'still' the best QB in the league hands down?

That is definitely something to consider. The reports/rumors are that he has lost strength in his passing arm due to the nerve damage. So there is no guarantee that the 49ers would even get the old manning.

We have to be careful that we don't :hail::crutch: Manning, because we look at Alex like :ballchain:

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If he's even close to what the doctors said about him health wise then yeah. And I don't buy Irsay saying "well, the Colts doctors haven't cleared him". He's just trying to make getting rid of Peyton not a big deal. Which it is. IMO no college QB is guaranteed. Luck may be as easy as a pick can get, but you never know until he's that good. Getting rid of an all-time great is a huge deal, but Irsay wants the Indy people on his side.

You can already tell the exit is going to be ugle.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton is 9-10 in the playoffs 5-10 in the years he didn't win the superbowl. 7 times they went out in their 1st round. Wow.

29 TDs 19 INTs in the playoffs 88 QBR is ok, but not spectacular. He wasn't even very good when they won the Superbowl... 3 TDs 7 INTs in the 06 playoffs is actually terrible.

I'm not saying he sucks, but he doesn't exactly elevate his game in the playoffs. And by no means would having him come here guarantee anything. And then there's the whole tender age of 36 with a surgically repaired neck business.

I won't make a causal statement because I think Manning is good enough for me not to, but those are bad numbers. Imagine if he had lost that SB? Yeah, people would say he's good, but I think that one ring bought a lot. I know you don't like Malone, but beating Jordan would have changed a lot about Stockton and Malone's legacy. I didn't apply this to Manning until now because of all the great regular season play and one SB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is definitely something to consider. The reports/rumors are that he has lost strength in his passing arm due to the nerve damage. So there is no guarantee that the 49ers would even get the old manning.

We have to be careful that we don't :hail::crutch: Manning, because we look at Alex like :ballchain:

Peytons arm strength + nerve damage > Alex's arm strength without? Or is the nerve damage that bad? And how much of Peyton's game was arm-strength oriented?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Peytons arm strength + nerve damage > Alex's arm strength without? Or is the nerve damage that bad? And how much of Peyton's game was arm-strength oriented?

People forget those were the same sources that said he might not even be cleared next season when he was cleared the next week. The Dr. said he's 0 risk right now. He said even if it was his own son, he'd tell him he's fine to play and should be back to normal. The injury no longer affects him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hardly call Garçon a nobody after what he put up this season with utter dog shit at QB.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Peyton is completely healthy. Three surgeries in two years and he missed all of this past season. I don't think the Niners will go after him. So that leaves us with Alex. What do you guys think is a fair contract for Alex Smith? How many years and how much?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know if Peyton is completely healthy. Three surgeries in two years and he missed all of this past season. I don't think the Niners will go after him. So that leaves us with Alex. What do you guys think is a fair contract for Alex Smith? How many years and how much?

I think I land on the cheap side of the equation. I would be content with a 2-3 year in the 7-8M per year range heavily back-loaded and escalated. Anything outside those parameters would make me cringe.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

still say Alex Smith is the lesser of the evils, of course i have my negative opinions on him, but there are worse scenarios. we're just in a tough spot right now.

IMO the meat of his contract should be ~$10M/year over two years. then they can dress up the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th year. the $10M figure would include base, bonus, and max incentives. feel this figure matches what an "above average" QB earns (believe franchise QB's are ~$14.5M).

Alexx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Iguana, is that you? Or maybe seksiwidow? Just kidding. I would rethink the username unless your name is Alex (no, not the player). Just my two cents. It isn't worth much.

My name is Alexx and it is spelled with two x's. lol

Alexx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally I would just love to see what Alex Smith would do if surrounded by an elite receiving squad. If my memory serves me correctly he has never had a good group to throw to. When you only have one real weapon defenses can kill your pass game instantly. I also think the niners need to be smart with the draft choices and take the best player available regardless of what we may need. That will strengthen our team more than just aiming for a wideout or something.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally I would just love to see what Alex Smith would do if surrounded by an elite receiving squad. If my memory serves me correctly he has never had a good group to throw to. When you only have one real weapon defenses can kill your pass game instantly. I also think the niners need to be smart with the draft choices and take the best player available regardless of what we may need. That will strengthen our team more than just aiming for a wideout or something.

can't see us sitting back till the draft on WR, Baalke will look around for free agents. he won't force one, but he'll take a serious look see.

agree we draft the best players versus forcing a position. so would be nice if we already signed a WR before the draft.

Alexx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
can't see us sitting back till the draft on WR, Baalke will look around for free agents. he won't force one, but he'll take a serious look see.

agree we draft the best players versus forcing a position. so would be nice if we already signed a WR before the draft.

My thoughts exactly.