• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense still #1

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still scary that they occasionally let down and give up a really dumb big play......but overall it's a very solid defense.......

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Sunday’s 30-20 win over Jacksonville at EverBank Field, the Bengals held the Jaguars to 275 total yards. After five games, they are giving up 279.6 yards per game, which keeps them ahead of Pittsburgh (282.8 ypg) and idle Baltimore (284.5 ypg).

Bengals' defense remains No. 1 | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Sounds good to me,morning Bengal Nation!
Tiger1.gif

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the defense is good, but we did just beat possibly the worst team in the league and that helps the numbers. anyway, who dey!

jwil007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hall was playing Zone and Reggie "Gets burned once a week" Nelson was out of position....He LET US DOWN on that 70 yarder.....They need to fix that shit!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall was playing Zone and Reggie "Gets burned once a week" Nelson was out of position....He LET US DOWN on that 70 yarder.....They need to fix that shit!

I like Nelson, so I am not gonna bash him. However, that was his blown coverage, not Hall's. 74 yards the defense gave up on that one play, and 80 yards on t he opening drive. So outside that opening drive and one play of the game, the defense gave up 121 total yards the whole rest of the game.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Teams are given the win based on points allowed versus points put up, not yards allowed against yards put up.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care how many yards the D allowed yesterday. What made me happy was how they responded when their offense put them in a bad position. The ability to force field goals rather than allow touchdowns is what won the game yesterday. I was happy to see such a nice redzone effort.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams are given the win based on points allowed versus points put up, not yards allowed against yards put up.

You may not like how they rate defensive and offensive rankings, but that is what it is. Therefore, theya re the #1 defense in the NFL right now as it sits.

Just sayin'.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We're all (at least most of us) reasonable people here. Let's use some common sense. That is all I ask.

Regardless of the ranking, I agree with Grad's assessment. I couldn't care less how many yards (oops!) the defense gives up if they keep holding teams to 3 points. Give up 99 yards every dang series as long as it only nets 3 points every time. The heck with where that would rank us in ypg.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all (at least most of us) reasonable people here. Let's use some common sense. That is all I ask.

Regardless of the ranking, I agree with Grad's assessment. I couldn't care less how many yards (oops!) the defense gives up if they keep holding teams to 3 points. Give up 99 yards every dang series as long as it only nets 3 points every time. The heck with where that would rank us in ypg.

Well, in that case, let's not even rank the defense with that. Let's just assess them....did they give up less points than the offense scored that week?

I mean really, that is the only thing that matters right?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm under the impression that most (or all) of us know that our defense is not the #1 best, yet, we think it's neat or interesting that we are #1 in a statistical category that contradicts that statement. I don't understand what the argument is about, since most of us already know, in reality, we are not the best defense in the NFL, but, I'm not sure I want to get sucked into it either. :)

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in today's NFL the most important thing a defense can do is take the ball away.....in this age of high octane offense the number of possessions really becomes important.....this is one area our defense could stand some improvement......

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in today's NFL the most important thing a defense can do is take the ball away.....in this age of high octane offense the number of possessions really becomes important.....this is one area our defense could stand some improvement......

Yes, but consider how good that actually makes our defense when we have to force the opposing team into punting versus relying on a TO to get our defense out of a jam. AND WE STILL give up less yards than any other defense.

Not one INT this year, and only a couple fumble recoveries.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, in that case, let's not even rank the defense with that. Let's just assess them....did they give up less points than the offense scored that week?

I mean really, that is the only thing that matters right?

Either you missed my point or you're drunk. Or both.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but consider how good that actually makes our defense when we have to force the opposing team into punting versus relying on a TO to get our defense out of a jam. AND WE STILL give up less yards than any other defense.

I'm quite happy with the defense overall, just pointing out an obvious potential area of improvement.......oh, and they do have one pick (MJohnson)

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Oh stop it, you homer!

It's not that other defenses "rely" on turnovers to bail them out (as if they're not earned), but are able to make significant plays that can turn the tide of the game or get your offense going. That's a huge credit.

They should have a statistic that somehow combines both points allowed AND points scored by the defense. And turnovers that start the offense on the opponents side of the field and/or within FG range should be worth something as well.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh stop it, you homer!

It's not that other defenses "rely" on turnovers to bail them out (as if they're not earned), but are able to make significant plays that can turn the tide of the game or get your offense going. That's a huge credit.

They should have a statistic that somehow combines both points allowed AND points scored by the defense. And turnovers that start the offense on the opponents side of the field and/or within FG range should be worth something as well.

I am not trying to say that to be a homer...but think about it...

I am not saying the Bills are not playing decent defense and that thier playmakers do not deseve credit when getting a TO, BUT...

Think how many times the opposing offense turned the ball over to the Bills ending their drive abruptly.

The Bengals do not have opposing offenses make many mistakes by giving us the ball on TO, but rather, we have to stand toe to toe and we are out executing opposing offenses forcing them into more 3 and outs than any other team in the league, or at least had, not sure the numbers now.

We just do not get as many change of possessions on a quick TO, we have to work hard for an entire series to stop opposing offenses.