• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

defense is a lot different

C

cubzzzfanincali

ok, so all this talk about the Bears D being unchanged....totally, totally wrong. I have no rewatched the game three times. The Bears D may have the same guys, but it is definitely a very different way of deploying them. The Bears used Over LB sets, Briggs lined up as strong side linebacker on a lot of plays, and there was way more use of unusual blitzes.

The talk from Halas Hall about using the same D scheme was nonsense. It's interesting to watch, and I'm not convinced whether it will be better or worse, but it sure isn't the same.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'll tell you something else. I don't like Briggs being used as strong side backer. I think this is a mistake.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you something else. I don't like Briggs being used as strong side backer. I think this is a mistake.

Definitely agree on this point. I don't understand their line of thinking with this.

C

cubzzzfanincali

they keep referring to the fact that the terminology is the same. OK....same terminology, but the defense itself is not the same at all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say after just one game. When the Dline can do it's job then maybe thing will be more like they were. I like the fact we blitz from new places. We needed a few new wrinkles.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He only had 6 solo tackles and 10 total tackles. Yeah, its nothing that will rewrite record books, but putting him at strong side did effect his play.

But the thing is, he is calling the play and setting up the players, did he actually make the call to put himself out of position?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say what Noon said, basically, our D line play effected the LB play. While Paea had a pretty good game, Melton and Peppers were sub par all day. Either because of the extended time off in the pre season???? or injury??? or out of shape?? Unsure. Wooten and Shea didn't do a lot to impress either.

running bear828

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope whatever effected Peppers and Melton has worked it's way out of their system. They didn't even get close to Dalton! That's what bothered me. If they had gotten near Dalton that would be another story.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only had 6 solo tackles and 10 total tackles. Yeah, its nothing that will rewrite record books, but putting him at strong side did effect his play.

But the thing is, he is calling the play and setting up the players, did he actually make the call to put himself out of position?

He doesn't call the defensive alignments.

He calls the play in the huddle that he gets from Tucker. He then can make checks and switch things up a bit if necessary at the line of scrimmage.

He doesn't have any control over the alignment or the initial play calling.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope whatever effected Peppers and Melton has worked it's way out of their system. They didn't even get close to Dalton! That's what bothered me. If they had gotten near Dalton that would be another story.

That would be limited to no preseason reps for both. Melton is probably behind the curve a little more.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams will gameplan against our front four....look for teams to run a west coastish O against us, focussed on quick releases and quick drops.

Our DB's are well aware of this, and I would say, that had a lot to do with Peanut's first pick.

This can also burn us, as evidenced by the deep throws that were connected on.

Melton, is the key, as he has the shortest route to the QB, and penetration up the middle, is doom for any QB. He starts firing it up, and opposing o-line's will have to compensate, which can only mean good things for the outside rushers.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
week 4. Should be an awesome game. :suds:

C

cubzzzfanincali

You know, with Peppers....I don't know...it's one game, but he just seemed to be lacking in explosiveness. I wonder if he has a minor injury we don't know of?

I agree that Paea played pretty well.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers sat out practice today, he was "sick". Not sure what that means, maybe he was sick last week as well ?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He tweaked his hammy in training camp er' something? If it was the hammy, those fuckers linger.

He got 11 sacks on one leg last year....he'll be alright.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
week 4. Should be an awesome game. :suds:

To me every game is awesome. Especially division games.
I'dt be great to see 2 3&0 teams , but Washington might make that impossible.:lol:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I didn't hear Peppers' name mentioned once.

WTF

Seems our D game plan was for the D-linemen to protect quick pass lanes. Evidently Tucker (our new DC) expected a quick pass game from Cincy.
Tucker's Monday remarks included "Pep did everything we asked him to".
I think the problem was more Tucker under estimating what he had to work with.

Last edited by a moderator: