• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Stern retirement

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presser now on jizzeynews

Effective Feb .1,2014

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good..he jumped the shark years ago
Now. Kill the WNBA

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at his entire tenure, he's been a fantastic commissioner. Arguably the best ever in any sport considering where the game was when he took over to where it is now. But I welcome the change because I've become annoyed with his arrogance over the last 8ish years or so.

Silver should do a great job. He seems infinitely more likeable and he's been doing most of the dirty work behind the scenes for years now

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feb 1, 2014 seems like such an odd date to step down. Why would you do it in the middle of the year right before the ASG? Shouldn't he do at the draft that year? You know there are going to be some players who see a new commish and are going to try to get away with things and someone's playoff chances are going to get hurt.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feb 1, 2014 seems like such an odd date to step down. Why would you do it in the middle of the year right before the ASG? Shouldn't he do at the draft that year? You know there are going to be some players who see a new commish and are going to try to get away with things and someone's playoff chances are going to get hurt.

I heard that marks his 30th year on the job

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. It's 30 years to the day and it will also make him the longest serving commissioner of any sport

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at his entire tenure, he's been a fantastic commissioner. Arguably the best ever in any sport considering where the game was when he took over to where it is now. But I welcome the change because I've become annoyed with his arrogance over the last 8ish years or so.

Silver should do a great job. He seems infinitely more likeable and he's been doing most of the dirty work behind the scenes for years now

I never had a chance to respond to this.

I guess thinking of Stern as a fantasic commissioner is like saying Phil Jackson is thee greatest coach ever.

When Stern took over the league, he had showtime and Bird after they moved on, it was the Bad Boys and Jordan, following them was the Spurs. He really didn't have to market the league as those players did it for them. some marks against Stern are the WNBA, labor strife, and the thuggish image that has been coming from the NBA for the past 10 years or so.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players had some success but Stern definitely had an impact. Detractors just use the players role as an out. A good CEO of a business is good at what he does because he recognizes what works around him and makes moves to to take advantage of strengths. Same for a commish. He has been able to recognize the talent on the floor and Stern steered the ship in directions to get more and more eyeballs watching that talent through various TV deals, jumping on the internet movement long before other leagues, and expanding into new global markets.

It's not as easy most think. Look at hockey. Gary Bettman took over a league with talent and ran it into the ground. There's been a bit of a talent resurgence with some great young stars yet he still fails horribly to gain ground.