• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Price to the Tigers!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don?t Write Off The Rays End Of The David Price Deal Just Yet | FanGraphs Baseball

Smyly is better than folks give him credit for. He's pitched well in front of a bad defense, yields pretty poor batted ball authority, strikes a lot of guys out and doesn't walk many, all good things. Price is better, of course, but Smyly is a good starter, and he's a lot cheaper to boot. Price's contract is pretty bad, after all.

Franklin has a lot of flaws, but he also has a lot of upside, and the Rays have historically done very well with his sort of player.

Adames is especially interesting, I think. The kid is performing at 18 years old in a full season league, and you simply do not see that very often. He's far from the majors, but his upside is enormous.

The Rays may love this deal three or four years down the road.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's pretty obvious there's something wrong with Verlander. His velocity's been declining, his walk rate's climbing, his strikeout rate's taken a steep decline (all the way from 9.0 in 2012 to just 6.6 this year), and he's been giving up way more hits (though the Tigers defense hasn't been of much help).

Verlander has had the yips off and on for the past two years. When he is able to repeat his delivery -- he is as good as anyone. When he struggles to repeat his delivery -- his K's go down and his walks go way up. Scherzer had the same issues a couple years ago, but has seemed to find a rhythm now. Verlander was perfectly fine for a couple year stretch, but has been all or nothing for long stretches.

Maybe getting Price will light a fire under Verlander and he will figured out how to fix his issues. I do know -- Verlander was BRUTAL last year for over a month and then the final month of the season and the playoffs -- he pitched lights out. Hopefully he can turn it around or he will be our #4 pitcher going into the playoffs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As he ages, Verlander may just be turning into more of a ground ball pitcher than a strikeout pitcher, and he happens to pitch in front of a poor defense. Although, this means he also needs to focus more on his command, and he hasn't, so that's on him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are Smyly and Austin Jackson are involved. That seems like a lot.

Detroit is in a win now mode. Most likely, we will not have Scherzer next season. Price is a free agent after the 2015 season, I believe. So this move puts Detroit all in.

Smyly is an interesting pitcher, but he is a middle to back of the rotation guy and actually pitched better for Detroit out of the bullpen. Austin Jackson is going to arbitration eligible after this year, I believe. He has been ON FIRE the last month with 15 multi-hit games, but at the same time, the rest of the year, he had hit about .220 with 3 homeruns.

The 18 year old SS we gave up is...........an 18 year old SS. Who knows what he is going to be?

I will say -- I'm actually shocked it took so little to get Price. Detroit has an overflow of OF with the emergence of JD Martinez. They now have JD, Hunter and Rajah Davis in the OF, with Andy Dirks working his way back from his rehab assignment.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As he ages, Verlander may just be turning into more of a ground ball pitcher than a strikeout pitcher, and he happens to pitch in front of a poor defense. Although, this means he also needs to focus more on his command, and he hasn't, so that's on him.

For sure. Verlander's biggest problem is his walks though, right now. He gets himself in trouble with walks and letting hitters get into predictable hitter counts. I've watched more balls hit on the screws off JV in the last month than in the last 3 years combined.

People talk about his velocity and while it has dropped, as he doesn't hit 100 mph anymore. He will still hit 96-98 when he needs it. The years he was dominant -- he had impeccable control and could paint the corners with those pitches. Now -- I'm not sure if he knows where the pitch is going.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic stuff from Rays "fans" on sports talk this afternoon. They were talking about not going to games like they actually go to games. I'm not really sure though why they thought they would get a king's ransom for a guy with a year and a half left on his contract. They were planning on rebuilding the farm system off of Price. Obviously Smyly is no Price but they still have a good rotation and it's better than letting him walk for nothing. Anyway, if the Tigers still can't get it done with this staff and these bats then they might as well blow it up and start again.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Det stole Price from TB. They have the MVP and the last 3 CY young award winners. WOW They should walk into the WS.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They pulled Austin Jackson off the field in the middle of the inning ... one of the strangest things I've ever seen. Fare well Austin Jackson, your a class act!!!

austin-jackson-baseball-headshot-photo.jpg

Really?!? That's a little messed up

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander had core surgery for a abdominal issue this offseason. I think this is effecting him and his velocity.

I don't get the A's trading Cespedes for Lester. The A's had a strong rotation and they didn't improve a whole lot for the playoffs when teams go to a 4 man rotation. Not for giving up a strong OF with power. I am surprised the A's didn't turn Hammel over for an outfielder.

The Tigers gave up their starting CF for a very good left handed pitcher and I am not sure I make that deal with Smyly pitching pretty good ball. But the Tigers did this for next season as well as this playoff run. Max Scherzer will leave in FA and guarantees the Tigers keep a strong rotation.

The Mariners Llyod McClendon must have really liked Ajax from his time in Detroit.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander had core surgery for a abdominal issue this offseason. I think this is effecting him and his velocity.

I don't get the A's trading Cespedes for Lester. The A's had a strong rotation and they didn't improve a whole lot for the playoffs when teams go to a 4 man rotation. Not for giving up a strong OF with power. I am surprised the A's didn't turn Hammel over for an outfielder.

The Tigers gave up their starting CF for a very good left handed pitcher and I am not sure I make that deal with Smyly pitching pretty good ball. But the Tigers did this for next season as well as this playoff run. Max Scherzer will leave in FA and guarantees the Tigers keep a strong rotation.

The Mariners Llyod McClendon must have really liked Ajax from his time in Detroit.

Plus Cespedes has another year and Lester is a FA after this year who already said he wants to go back to Boston.

EXIT_HERE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hearing he may go to the Pirates. I am glad he is in the AL still.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? That's a little messed up

He got a long standing O. The trade had just been announced and the crowd knew about it. I think everyone was cool with it including AJ.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their rotation is strong, but why not make it stronger? I can't imagine how I'd feel if the Tigers got Price and the A's didn't get Lester. The move made sense as Cespedes's production is vastly overrated by the mass media.

Hammel wasn't worth a thing right now with his 4 straight terrible starts. Have you been paying attention? He's had an era north of 7 in these past 4 starts.

Plus Cespedes has another year and Lester is a FA after this year who already said he wants to go back to Boston.

Sweet. Another year of 0.298 OBP? SIGN ME UP. His production is easily replaceable. They will certainly have to shuffle their outfield some, but they're fairly deep there. Also, the A's could have kept him and might have been able to sign him... but he's apparently going to command 20ish per year when he's really only a 10-15m per year player. Sell high.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lester/Gray/Kazmir/Samardzija is a pretty big improvement over Gray/Kazmir/Samardzija/Hammel/Chavez (who had never pitche 100 innings prior to this year) if you ask me.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their rotation is strong, but why not make it stronger? I can't imagine how I'd feel if the Tigers got Price and the A's didn't get Lester. The move made sense as Cespedes's production is vastly overrated by the mass media.

Hammel wasn't worth a thing right now with his 4 straight terrible starts. Have you been paying attention? He's had an era north of 7 in these past 4 starts.

Sweet. Another year of 0.298 OBP? SIGN ME UP. His production is easily replaceable. They will certainly have to shuffle their outfield some, but they're fairly deep there. Also, the A's could have kept him and might have been able to sign him... but he's apparently going to command 20ish per year when he's really only a 10-15m per year player. Sell high.

TEH RBIZZZZZZZZZZZ

He's a good player and I'll be glad to see him a Sox uniform, but he was hardly "one of the best hitters" on the A's. Sub .300 OBP (from a corner OF, nonetheless) and 114 OPS+ isn't that good. His defense is pretty damn good though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I don't get this from a Rays perspective. Smyly is a good young lefty with upside, and they get an SS prospect (Willie Adames) from Detroit as well. But sheesh, Price is only 28 and he's an anchor that you build a team around.

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the worst trade in Rays history. Friedman has made a lot of very good deals but I think he choked here. To me it seems like they changed their mind at the last minute and panicked and took what ever they could get.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is going hit bombs at Fenway.