• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Ortiz, Red Sox Talking Extension

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Ortiz told reporters that his agent is talking with the Red Sox about extending his deal for another year, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports. Ortiz signed a two-year extension with Boston in November 2012 that will take him through the 2014 season.
Big Papi will earn $15MM in the final year of his deal between his $11MM base salary and the $4MM bonus he secured by staying away from the DL for the bulk of 2013. After playing just 90 games in 2012 - his lowest total as a member of the Red Sox - Ortiz saw action in 137 games this past season, hitting .309/.395/.564 with 30 homers. Ortiz told Bradford:
"We gave them what they wanted. I don’t have next year guaranteed and I think I can play another one. We’re working on that. ... As long as I feel good I’m going to want to play. ... I just hate the situation where I have to sit down at the end of the year and talk about my following year. Let’s do it now. We’re world champs right now."
Ortiz was also candid in telling Bradford that "If [the Red Sox] are smart," they'll work something out. "You know what happens every time people challenge Papi."
While the Red Sox certaintly want to keep their franchise cornerstone happy, they may not be ecstatic about re-opening contract talks. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported earlier this year that the two sides had an agreement that they would not negotiate a new contract or extension until after the deal expired.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com