• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

dave stieb vs Jack Morris

pick one

• Jack Morris

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Dave Stieb

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I must have read some of the stupidest comments ever posted thanks to broncosmitty and dougsmith.

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I value innings, is it really worth bringing up when he got shellacked in those 23 innings?

I'm not sure he pitched that bad. In his first game he pitched a 9 inning complete game and gave up 10 baserunners (6hits, 4 walks) The second inning started with a single followed by a 2 run shot by McGwire and a solo shot by Terry Steinbach. Morris then struck out the side and didn't give up a run until the 9th. He probably wouldn't have gone out for the 9th today but he hadn't given up a baserunner since the 5th so they sent him out in a 3-3 tie and he gave up a HR to start the 9th. That's not really a bad outing.

His second game was a bad outing - 3.1ip, 5ER. Bad day.

His third game was iffy - I remember that one. I thought he pitched ok but he couldn't quite get out of trouble. Went 6 innings and gave up 3 runs on a two out, 3 run homer.

His fourth game was bad - 4.2ip 7 ER. Just a bad outing.

But generally, his first game was pretty solid and his third game was close. I wouldn't say he was shellacked in those games 15ip, 4.20 ERA isn't great but he kept his teams in the game. The other two games he was horrible.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he pitched that bad. In his first game he pitched a 9 inning complete game and gave up 10 baserunners (6hits, 4 walks) The second inning started with a single followed by a 2 run shot by McGwire and a solo shot by Terry Steinbach. Morris then struck out the side and didn't give up a run until the 9th. He probably wouldn't have gone out for the 9th today but he hadn't given up a baserunner since the 5th so they sent him out in a 3-3 tie and he gave up a HR to start the 9th. That's not really a bad outing.

His second game was a bad outing - 3.1ip, 5ER. Bad day.

His third game was iffy - I remember that one. I thought he pitched ok but he couldn't quite get out of trouble. Went 6 innings and gave up 3 runs on a two out, 3 run homer.

His fourth game was bad - 4.2ip 7 ER. Just a bad outing.

But generally, his first game was pretty solid and his third game was close. I wouldn't say he was shellacked in those games 15ip, 4.20 ERA isn't great but he kept his teams in the game. The other two games he was horrible.

So I think it's fair to say that on average, his teams might have won 1 out of 4 of those games? That's pretty far from good.

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think it's fair to say that on average, his teams might have won 1 out of 4 of those games? That's pretty far from good.

It's also far from shellacked. He lost one game 4-3 and the other 3-1. I think, on average, his teams probably usually would have won those games. But Glavine was pretty Glavine that day, IIRC.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also far from shellacked. He lost one game 4-3 and the other 3-1. I think, on average, his teams probably usually would have won those games. But Glavine was pretty Glavine that day, IIRC.

He had a 4.20 ERA for those starts in a league where the average was 3.94. I don't think that we can use 2-0 as the "usual" result. If we use total runs he gets just barely on the happy side of the average, but the expectation is still very close to .500.

Last edited by a moderator: