• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dashon Goldson What do you guys make of this guy?

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can you believe this? He was offered more money than McDonald and turned it down. What a tool.

One NFL source said the club offered Goldson a contract in excess of what was paid for defensive end Ray McDonald, who signed a five-year, $20 million contract.

Our secondary looks great without him. Can't say I'm sad to see him leave

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The niners still have cap space and haven't officially ruled out Goldson. Anyway he returns? It sounds like Reggie Smith is ready to be a starter but Goldson obviously has fewer question marks.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ego got the best of him. I loved how he thought he could wait it out like he had some kind of leverage. Fool.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if it's all ego or is part of it bad advice from his agent?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you believe this? He was offered more money than McDonald and turned it down. What a tool.

One NFL source said the club offered Goldson a contract in excess of what was paid for defensive end Ray McDonald, who signed a five-year, $20 million contract.

Wow, he's probably going to regret that if he ends up signing a 1 year deal, because obviously nobody is offering him the 5 year 40 million dollar deal that he feels he deserves.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that makes me happy. He really screwed himself.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Expensive mistake. Really expensive.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Report: Niners offered Goldson more than McDonald.

This is from Maiocco's recent article on the DBs. I hadn't seen it posted anywhere.

The 49ers placed their highest priority on re-signing safety Dashon Goldson when free agency opened. One NFL source said the club offered Goldson a contract in excess of what was paid for defensive end Ray McDonald, who signed a five-year, $20 million contract. When the sides did not reach an agreement, the 49ers turned to Whitner.

That's very interesting. Goldson may really regret passing up that offer. There's no way he'll get more this season, and the way it's looking right now, he's not even terribly likely to find a starting gig somewhere. I wonder what he's thinking? Despite his reputation, Rosenhaus is usually reasonable than that.

I have some reservations about Whitner's ability in coverage, and might have preferred going with Goldson at SS and Smith at FS, but if Goldson turned down that offer, I don't see that we had much choice.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice find Crimson. I agree with you. I wouldn't want to offer him much more than that and the fact that he was turning kind of smug and acting like an asshole made it an easier choice. I would rather have Whitner for what we paid him. This is going to open up plenty of cap space for the next few years. The FO made the right choice IMO.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna merge this with another thread since it is related.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is from Maiocco's recent article on the DBs. I hadn't seen it posted anywhere.

The 49ers placed their highest priority on re-signing safety Dashon Goldson when free agency opened. One NFL source said the club offered Goldson a contract in excess of what was paid for defensive end Ray McDonald, who signed a five-year, $20 million contract. When the sides did not reach an agreement, the 49ers turned to Whitner.

That's very interesting. Goldson may really regret passing up that offer. There's no way he'll get more this season, and the way it's looking right now, he's not even terribly likely to find a starting gig somewhere. I wonder what he's thinking? Despite his reputation, Rosenhaus is usually more reasonable than that.

I have some reservations about Whitner's ability in coverage, and might have preferred going with Goldson at SS and Smith at FS, but if Goldson turned down that offer, I don't see that we had much choice.

I agree with your Rosenhaus comment. This story will be interesting to watch unfold.