• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Daron Payne "I just want what I earned." n 20 Skins players hitting FA

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the right thing Skins brass.

I'd be lying if I said I feel confident that RR will mostly make the right decisions when it comes to this situation. I have very little faith in his HCing and even less in his GMing.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be lying if I said I feel confident that RR will mostly make the right decisions when it comes to this situation. I have very little faith in his HCing and even less in his GMing.

Holy crap. Our entire LB corps are FAs. Not necessarily a bad thing. Second weakest unit behind the OL…..of which half of them are also FAs.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap. Our entire LB corps are FAs. Not necessarily a bad thing. Second weakest unit behind the OL…..of which half of them are also FAs.
Rivera's philosophy is that the LB is not a position of importance. He brought in Bostic and Mayo as reserves last year. With the QB position and OLine upgrades that are needed, I expect the LB corps to be put on the back burner and cheap reserves to be brought in.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payne will go to the highest bidder just like Scherf. We could franchise him.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe most everyone disagrees with me and that is fine. I am used to it...LOL

I don't think tagging Payne makes any sense unless a LTD will get done before the start of the training camp. This organization has ZERO success with using the tag as a bridge to getting a LTD completed. Scherff and Cousins showed us that. This is NOT a Rivera issue but an organization issue as Bruce did this with Cousins.

Payne is awesome but if there is little reason to believe he wants to stick around, we should move on. Nobody wants to hear this, but we aren't going to be competitive next year either. We aren't a "QB" away as some people think. Paying Payne 18-20 million for the 2023 tag with the hopes of having our defense launch us into the playoffs doesn't seem a smart path. Payne will serve as a one-year rental We still have many of the same problems we did in 2022...primarily...Rivera himself. 30 million in cap will not fix all the glaring holes we have at this time.

Payne CLEARLY wants to get a paycheck and it appears he doesn't care where that check will come from. IF he wants to be here...GREAT...lets get it done. If he simply wants to be the highest-paid DT in football...pass. Payne is not an All Pro DT. Using the 20 million to upgrade the LB and CB spots and rolling with Ridgeway as the starting DT would be the correct avenue IMO.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera's philosophy is that the LB is not a position of importance. He brought in Bostic and Mayo as reserves last year. With the QB position and OLine upgrades that are needed, I expect the LB corps to be put on the back burner and cheap reserves to be brought in.
I hope we don’t even look at other veteran QBs.Sign TH to a 2-4 million dollar deal and roll with Thurston.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we don’t even look at other veteran QBs.Sign TH to a 2-4 million dollar deal and roll with Thurston.
With a legit OC, I can see Howell balling out. As we all know, our new OC will simply be here for a year. Allegedly, we are changing to running team next year anyways.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe most everyone disagrees with me and that is fine. I am used to it...LOL

I don't think tagging Payne makes any sense unless a LTD will get done before the start of the training camp. This organization has ZERO success with using the tag as a bridge to getting a LTD completed. Scherff and Cousins showed us that. This is NOT a Rivera issue but an organization issue as Bruce did this with Cousins.

Payne is awesome but if there is little reason to believe he wants to stick around, we should move on. Nobody wants to hear this, but we aren't going to be competitive next year either. We aren't a "QB" away as some people think. Paying Payne 18-20 million for the 2023 tag with the hopes of having our defense launch us into the playoffs doesn't seem a smart path. Payne will serve as a one-year rental We still have many of the same problems we did in 2022...primarily...Rivera himself. 30 million in cap will not fix all the glaring holes we have at this time.

Payne CLEARLY wants to get a paycheck and it appears he doesn't care where that check will come from. IF he wants to be here...GREAT...lets get it done. If he simply wants to be the highest-paid DT in football...pass. Payne is not an All Pro DT. Using the 20 million to upgrade the LB and CB spots and rolling with Ridgeway as the starting DT would be the correct avenue IMO.
Heh. I agree. with you. Fuck tagging DP n then watching him walk away. If they won't or can't sign him long term let him walk now. And with Sweat n Young coming up....I know the cap keeps going up, but 80 million+invested in just the 4 starters on the DL. A DL that has had its moments at times, but still lacks consistency and can be ran on. That's a lotta jack.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payne will go to the highest bidder just like Scherf. We could franchise him.
I say no to franchising him unless they are going to sign him after a 1 year tag. But this tagging a player for 2 years n they walk away shit has to cease.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Holcomb and Davis got better, but I read somewhere that the Skins plan at LB. Is to just find a legit back up(s) to Holcomb n Davis. I know all positions can't be upgraded in 1 off season, but to have the low expectations that RR n JDR do for the LBing unit is frustrating to me.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Holcomb and Davis got better, but I read somewhere that the Skins plan at LB. Is to just find a legit back up(s) to Holcomb n Davis. I know all positions can't be upgraded in 1 off season, but to have the low expectations that RR n JDR do for the LBing unit is frustrating to me.
You could do a lot worse than Holcomb and Davis. I agree depth is needed though

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. I agree. with you. Fuck tagging DP n then watching him walk away. If they won't or can't sign him long term let him walk now. And with Sweat n Young coming up....I know the cap keeps going up, but 80 million+invested in just the 4 starters on the DL. A DL that has had its moments at times, but still lacks consistency and can be ran on. That's a lotta jack.
Payne isn't a must have. He is great but I am against forcing anyone to be here if they would rather explore the market. It is a business...fans sometimes don't get that and think every player WANTS to play here. I would love to have Payne back but I am not interested in raising his price tag for 2024.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payne isn't a must have. He is great but I am against forcing anyone to be here if they would rather explore the market. It is a business...fans sometimes don't get that and think every player WANTS to play here. I would love to have Payne back but I am not interested in raising his price tag for 2024.
i am tagging him for this year until i know mathis has something . the LOS is the most important part of a football team on both sides . now if mathis shows he is something then hey let him go after next year

as far as the clowney pair who knows what they are going to get

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i will say this , its a top 3 d/line on a defense that has finished top 5 2 of 3 yrs and the guys who arent holding up their end as far as potential thing is clowney A chase and clowney B sweat . they arent playing at a pro bowl or all pro level . they are good but so far payne is out producing them

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys don’t franchise Payne, he’s probably going to go to the bears. We have to spend over 100 million dollars on FAs this year, or we will be paying the difference in penalties to the league. I bet we offer him the most in the league because of it.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am tagging him for this year until i know mathis has something . the LOS is the most important part of a football team on both sides . now if mathis shows he is something then hey let him go after next year

as far as the clowney pair who knows what they are going to get
My point is that if we have about 30-40 million to spend (this is the number that keeps getting stated), then we only have about 20 million left to address the following if we slap the tag on Payne:

LT
LG
C
RG
MLB
#1 CB
Starting TE
3rd down back

Clearly, some of these will come via the draft. However, we should only realistically look at rounds 1-3 at Day 1 starters. If that is the case, it makes little sense to chew up half of your cap room on tagging a player who will likely bolt the following year in the name of "keeping the band" together.

Is the 30-40 million in space accurate? I believe Kbso indicated this with his calculations. If not, then I can see tagging Payne. Again, a #2 DT is NOT the pressing need on any football team...especially one that little has a bottom 5 OLine in the game.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that if we have about 30-40 million to spend (this is the number that keeps getting stated), then we only have about 20 million left to address the following if we slap the tag on Payne:

LT
LG
C
RG
MLB
#1 CB
Starting TE
3rd down back

Clearly, some of these will come via the draft. However, we should only realistically look at rounds 1-3 at Day 1 starters. If that is the case, it makes little sense to chew up half of your cap room on tagging a player who will likely bolt the following year in the name of "keeping the band" together.

Is the 30-40 million in space accurate? I believe Kbso indicated this with his calculations. If not, then I can see tagging Payne. Again, a #2 DT is NOT the pressing need on any football team...especially one that little has a bottom 5 OLine in the game.
we can have closer to 65 mil , i look at all those needs and i say we arent solving them all in FA or the draft . i am tagging him till i know about mathis . mathis is out till october . and weakening the defense doesnt help howitzer . we need 4 o/lineman , maybe 5 . some answers are on the team , paul being one , wes on a good contract another .

look i am against paying big money for a tackle, center or OG . i dont see CB as a pressing need next year . its a need but fuller is just 27 BSJ is going into yr 3 , johnson played well in then slot , , holmes and castro are young guys who can make a jump and drafting a brents or witherspoon can help .

allen signed with us , tmac signed with us so there is a good chance payne will as well

last year injuries cam along and destroyed the o/line because we let flowers and BS walk only to replace them with 2 turnstiles

injuries hit the d/line (dt) position and you are looking at potato and bada playing significant snaps and there will be a drop off

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can have closer to 65 mil , i look at all those needs and i say we arent solving them all in FA or the draft . i am tagging him till i know about mathis . mathis is out till october . and weakening the defense doesnt help howitzer . we need 4 o/lineman , maybe 5 . some answers are on the team , paul being one , wes on a good contract another .

look i am against paying big money for a tackle, center or OG . i dont see CB as a pressing need next year . its a need but fuller is just 27 BSJ is going into yr 3 , johnson played well in then slot , , holmes and castro are young guys who can make a jump and drafting a brents or witherspoon can help .

allen signed with us , tmac signed with us so there is a good chance payne will as well

last year injuries cam along and destroyed the o/line because we let flowers and BS walk only to replace them with 2 turnstiles

injuries hit the d/line (dt) position and you are looking at potato and bada playing significant snaps and there will be a drop off
Why do we keep focusing in on Mathis? Is Ridgeway not a possible answer to start in place of Payne? He had some boneheaded plays, but he played fine I thought and is still progressing as a player. We can't give up on him after 1 year or brand him a permanent back up until he is off the team. Players can develop...much like Davis did last year.

My priority list if I am running the show and IF the Howell rumors are true:

LT
C
LB (we literally have only Davis right now as Holcomb is a FA)
RG
DT
CB
LG
TE
3rd down back

Some of those are mix and match. I do agree we cannot address everything in one offseason...but we say that year after year. I would like to see an attempt to address as much as we can unlike last year where Rivera made cuts and then turned in for the offseason.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Other than a mid/late round pic on a QB, fix the oline an LB corps This draft. make all the parts around Howell as good as possible to aid his development. That is how you build a franchise QB.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likening Payne to Wentz is hilarious.

I would tag Payne. He is a major player on the D. Let Mathis get healthy and see how he plays next year along with Ridgeway. I don't want RR spending a lot of money on FA.

Fix the OLine, tag Payne and resign Curl.

Lets see what a new owner brings.