• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Draft thread

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing sexy, but hopefully solid.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't a big fan of this draft, but the Weber pick put a big smile on my face. I don't know how that kid fell to the 7th Round. Zeke should hover around 275-300 touches this year to keep him fresh and extend his career. I don't mind if the Cowboys sign Zeke long term if they show an effort to tone down his workload so he can last longer. My biggest beef with extending Zeke is that the Cowboys overworked him last year. If we weren't fortunate enough to clinch the division before the final week, he would have had over 400 touches last year. And we all know how 400 touch seasons effects RBs long term. He had 381 touches in 15 games which put him on a 400+ touch pace. That is way too much in today's NFL. This Weber kid should get 50-100 carries IMO. Weber might be the first 7th rounder since Jay Ratliff that could have a big impact on a Cowboys roster. And I hope they use him a lot to give Zeke drives off to keep Zeke fresh.

Note: I liked the Pollard pick too. The Cowboys really have no excuse to overuse Zeke this year.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Jones notes that it’s unfair to compare a draft pick to a Pro Bowler, be he thinks Tony Pollard has “a little Kamara to him.”

Like father like son. My kids gonna have to deal with this shit too. :behindsofa:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, Dallas killed it in UDF's, Hyatt, Wise, Westry, great job

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I have to admit I'm surprised with 2 RBs

A RB in the 3rd is a head scratcher but if that was BPA on their board.........? Seems like there was other needs to be addressed there though

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A RB in the 3rd is a head scratcher but if that was BPA on their board.........? Seems like there was other needs to be addressed there though
It seemed like they had a WTF moment toward the end of round 4. Like they lost their draft sheet with names on it. They take a KR because its the only guy they could remember. Then they start trading the next pick backward into the end of the 5th. Finally they find the draft sheet and kick ass.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Richard was in the War Room when we picked Pollard, he really wanted Isaiah Johnson. Johnson went with the next pick

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Richard was in the War Room when we picked Pollard, he really wanted Isaiah Johnson. Johnson went with the next pick
Personally I would have been happier with Johnson. This is the one pick I immediately kind of wondered about. Our KR sucked, but we never even considered bringing the ball out of the end zone on most kicks. Hopefully that changes. His skill set also seems very similar to Austin on Offense and you can't play two of those guys too often. But, hopefully we hit on something big here. I always like quick shifty guys as they are so hard to cover in space. I'm interested in seeing how explosive he looks and how he does running the ball as well.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact we did not address safety is telling to me. Are they still seeing the ghost of Roy Williams at the Star?
The recent drafting gives the Boys a deserved wait and see on this draft maybe they are planning on a FA signing who knows but I was surprised they passed on Thornhill.
We shall see

Go Cowboys

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I higher on the Pollard pick today than I was yesterday.

He's has a good chance of being our everywhere player.

Return guy looks to be a lock. He'll get some RB Carrie's, but I think you'll see him a lot in the slot. He could be Beasley's replacement leaving the more expensive Cobb and/or Hurns expendable.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't count Pollard as a RB. He's a KR in my book until he shows me something. Not crazy about either player, but Weber actually could be an NFL RB.
How is Weber's vision? In our Offense where often times the hole is TBD based on our blocking scheme I think vision is one of the most important aspects for our RBs and that is why Zeke is so good. Many times we give that deep handoff (especially when we only need a yard or two :gaah:)and basically tell the RB to go find the hole. Add in some speed when he does find it and that is the type of back I like to get the ball 3-5 times a game.

I'm not a big fan of highlight clips because EVERYONE looks good in their highlights, but I saw a lot of plays here where the original hole wasn't there and he found running room. Plus he ran a 4.47 at the combine so he does have some speed. I wonder if he can play STs.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact we did not address safety is telling to me. Are they still seeing the ghost of Roy Williams at the Star?
The recent drafting gives the Boys a deserved wait and see on this draft maybe they are planning on a FA signing who knows but I was surprised they passed on Thornhill.
We shall see

Go Cowboys
Well we did draft a safety. It just wasnt early.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading the draft profiles online tells me Wilson was most likely an UDFA. I'm not sure the team improved here at all.
Yeah. I know nothing about any of them.
Did like the positions we drafted though. Was hoping for a WR in the draft. Kinda hoped we got Boykin, but I will never complain with OL.

We dont put a lot of stock into drafting safeties anymore, so it didnt surprise me we didnt go Safety early.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious here, we wanted a safety and got one that sounds like fodder. (Of course he could be the next earl thomas)

So question is, who could be the cuts?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont put a lot of stock into drafting safeties anymore, so it didnt surprise me we didnt go Safety early.
There was quality and quantity at safety and we should have drafted one.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was quality and quantity at safety and we should have drafted one.
I'm not worried personally. We may have signed our starting SS in Iloka. We have a good young FS (can play both) in Woods. We did draft a safety. How do you know he won't be good? There are also a couple of FAs out there still and I'm sure if there was a guy the team felt was worth it they would have picked him