• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Draft thread

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a bit of tape and he is very quick for a big man but looks small to be a DT.
Isn't he almost 310? Assume he gains a little weight too. Plenty big enough for the 3 tech. Even 300 is enough if he loses a little for quickness

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern about this pick is he doesn’t have flexibility for tackle. Thought we would be better off fortifying our swing tackle. Maybe that will come later. Guards are welcome too.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-Draft Analysis
McGovern is a tall interior offensive lineman with adequate bulk and long arms. He's a highly effective run-blocker who takes great angles, does a good job of latching on and drives defenders off the line. Elite initial quickness will give him some problems in pass protection, but he rarely loses once he locks on.

Post-Draft Analysis
The Dallas need on the offensive line is two-fold: On the immediate level, the Cowboys have a need at guard, which is where McGovern excels as a run-blocker in particular. On the secondary level, this group is pricey. Dallas spends $10 million more on their current O-line than any team in the league. This guy can help. As they say, first you get the money (discount), then you get the power (run game). Or something like that. -- Chris Sprow

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Connor McGovern OL, PSU
Height: 6-5, Weight: 308

This is a good solid pick. He is a player who will be a quality starter in a few years. He opened a lot of holes for good runners at Penn State.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he almost 310? Assume he gains a little weight too. Plenty big enough for the 3 tech. Even 300 is enough if he loses a little for quickness

Not so much weight. Tyrone Crawford is 6'4" and he is 6'3' so not big difference but he looks smaller. Not that he is a pip squeak or anything...

I sure don't want him to lose speed cause what I have seen he is pretty damn quick.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always fun to compare who you would have taken now that we know exactly who was left on the board. I would have taken S Taylor Rapp in round 2 and WR Hakeem Butler in round 3

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always fun to compare who you would have taken now that we know exactly who was left on the board. I would have taken S Taylor Rapp in round 2 and WR Hakeem Butler in round 3
I'd have gone Rapp and Trayveon Williams or just stuck with McGovern. I like the pick.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have gone Rapp and Trayveon Williams or just stuck with McGovern. I like the pick.
I like both the guys we drafted too. I think Collins is going to get comp outside from Connor Williams and McGovern will get a shot inside. I know one thing, no OL in the league goes 9 deep as well as the Cowboys do. The Hill pick, he is a super raw but super talented kid, great quickness and explosion, Coach Rod may make him a terror

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wanted safety and the chiefs got my guy,but i like what we got. I think McGovern will take over LG full time next season. This move had to be made as Collins is going to be expensive to resign. Conner William's will end up being a good tackle Hill has good quickness and look forward to him hopefully landing real hard on top of Wentz and Brady. I would have been livid if we took a rb or receiver with those two picks. The foundation of a good team is having quality in the trenches

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both the guys we drafted too. I think Collins is going to get comp outside from Connor Williams and McGovern will get a shot inside. I know one thing, no OL in the league goes 9 deep as well as the Cowboys do. The Hill pick, he is a super raw but super talented kid, great quickness and explosion, Coach Rod may make him a terror
Marinelli will get this kid ready. I dont know the last time I have felt good about this defense..probably the mid 90s

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good DT was needed so I'm not overly upset, but I think he was a reach and S was bigger need and BPA was Safeties. Scratching my head but I'll trust the staff.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good DT was needed so I'm not overly upset, but I think he was a reach and S was bigger need and BPA was Safeties. Scratching my head but I'll trust the staff.
All I know is I wanted a DT. They started there & I am happy. & until he flops I am gonna trust they know what they like about him.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FRISCO, Texas – At some point in the coming months, second-round draft pick Trysten Hill will sign his rookie contract.

There’s another document Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli asks his new linemen to endorse right away.

“Get that thing signed and get ready to go,” he told Hill on the phone from the war room inside The Star.

The unofficial “contract” Marinell referred to on the phone call? It’s a pledge, really – a vow to prepare and play hard. Every practice, every game.

“I do this with every guy, from a free agent to a draft pick,” he said. “It’s my own copy of it, front and back. It talks about how we play and what I ask of you in practice, game day, all of it. I’m very clear with it. I say, ‘If it doesn’t fit you, tell me now, because you will not be happy here.’”

Marinelli believes Hill fits his scheme, both as a talent and a competitor.

The three technique, or under tackle, is vital to his defense as an athletic, penetrating rusher from the middle of the line. The 308-pound Hill was highly productive at UCF, and while he didn’t start in his final season under a new coaching staff, he still posted career highs in tackles (36) and sacks (3). The Cowboys spoke with his old and new college coaches to get a better feel for the 21-year-old.

“We felt very comfortable with where we’re at with him,” Marinelli said.

And Hill says he bonded with the 69-year-old coach at his pro day and on his official pre-draft visit to The Star. He said he called Marinelli just last week to check in.

“I can’t really put into words his and my relationship is with each other. He wants the best out of me and I want to give him everything I’ve got. Him really taking hold of me this whole process and me being able to call him and chat with him and just hear his voice was huge in this whole deal.”

Above pure ability, Marinelli has to know a prospect loves football. Watching film of Hill, he noticed an “unbelievable” work ethic.

“He really fits it – the motor, high energy,” he said. “Good athlete, and he’s a bigger man. You don’t see that type of guy. Inside, those under tackles have always been 300-pound guys, 295. This guy runs and has good movement.

“We’re unique that way, how hard we practice and play. And I usually see that on film early with guys. He really plays hard. You watch his tape, I mean, he really hustles. That’s the passion you want with these guys.”

Hill can’t wait to get started, too.

“I think I’m a dominant, tenacious player that wants every bit of the competition,” he said. “That’s how I was raised and that’s what I’m going to do day in and day out. I’m excited to get to work because I know that’s what Marinelli preaches.”

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what to think about the stuff that went on between Hill and the coaches at UCF.

He looks like he weighs 310 to me.

He is just really fast and explosive for how big he is. I got this feeling he going to get lots of sacks and pressures. Crazy potential. There is no way this kid would have made it to 90 even with the baggage.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern about this pick is he doesn’t have flexibility for tackle. Thought we would be better off fortifying our swing tackle. Maybe that will come later. Guards are welcome too.
Yeah, If going OL, I would have preferred Tackle as well - all else remaining equal. But they probably just really liked this kid and a lot more than they liked the OTs. I think Fleming is fine at swing tackle, but I don't see him as a future starter here. Like I said in this thread or another T Smith is still fantastic but that back is an issue and I don't think we resign Collins unless he improves or switches to LG. I like Collins but we can't give him $8-$10M per and we all love Frederick, but he now has a question mark as well.

It was crazy out of nowhere how the radio guys all seemed to say over and over how they expect Williams to move to RT because in the past they seemed to avoid the topic. They didn't necessarily say this year. So not sure if they meant swap him and Collins or move him next year and let Collins walk. They seemed to be saying the latter, but I would just move them now if that is the plan to make sure he can do it. I love a good strong OL and DL and we ddi need to add a player at both spots. I don't know what this kid will be and really have no opinion on him as a prospect, but if the team likes him enough to pick him, then I'm all for it and am pretty happy with our two picks.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look for one of these two if available. These are the two safeties that came for a visit that were not picked. I suspect They would go for the Florida kid in the 4th. Not sure when they would target the other. If they really like one of them I would like to see them trade up. We have picks #26 and #34 in the 4th. Hopefully we see a safety we like. I'm still hoping for a one year deal with Berry though

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida Safety
Khari Willis, Michigan State Safety

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FRISCO, Texas – At some point in the coming months, second-round draft pick Trysten Hill will sign his rookie contract.

There’s another document Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli asks his new linemen to endorse right away.

“Get that thing signed and get ready to go,” he told Hill on the phone from the war room inside The Star.

The unofficial “contract” Marinell referred to on the phone call? It’s a pledge, really – a vow to prepare and play hard. Every practice, every game.

“I do this with every guy, from a free agent to a draft pick,” he said. “It’s my own copy of it, front and back. It talks about how we play and what I ask of you in practice, game day, all of it. I’m very clear with it. I say, ‘If it doesn’t fit you, tell me now, because you will not be happy here.’”

Marinelli believes Hill fits his scheme, both as a talent and a competitor.

The three technique, or under tackle, is vital to his defense as an athletic, penetrating rusher from the middle of the line. The 308-pound Hill was highly productive at UCF, and while he didn’t start in his final season under a new coaching staff, he still posted career highs in tackles (36) and sacks (3). The Cowboys spoke with his old and new college coaches to get a better feel for the 21-year-old.

“We felt very comfortable with where we’re at with him,” Marinelli said.

And Hill says he bonded with the 69-year-old coach at his pro day and on his official pre-draft visit to The Star. He said he called Marinelli just last week to check in.

“I can’t really put into words his and my relationship is with each other. He wants the best out of me and I want to give him everything I’ve got. Him really taking hold of me this whole process and me being able to call him and chat with him and just hear his voice was huge in this whole deal.”

Above pure ability, Marinelli has to know a prospect loves football. Watching film of Hill, he noticed an “unbelievable” work ethic.

“He really fits it – the motor, high energy,” he said. “Good athlete, and he’s a bigger man. You don’t see that type of guy. Inside, those under tackles have always been 300-pound guys, 295. This guy runs and has good movement.

“We’re unique that way, how hard we practice and play. And I usually see that on film early with guys. He really plays hard. You watch his tape, I mean, he really hustles. That’s the passion you want with these guys.”

Hill can’t wait to get started, too.

“I think I’m a dominant, tenacious player that wants every bit of the competition,” he said. “That’s how I was raised and that’s what I’m going to do day in and day out. I’m excited to get to work because I know that’s what Marinelli preaches.”

Thanks for sharing this...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move for the guard. Chances are T Smith will be out at some point this year in which case Williams or Collins (whoever we slot in at LG) slides over to tackle. Now we have someone to step in at LG.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No criticism on my part on the pick, just stating the top safeties by rank were mostly off the board. Chauncey GJ is still on the board too. I like BPA almost every time but there are exceptions
It's a safe pick.