• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Cowboys RB

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wins the starting job?

Guess the favorite is soon-to-be 29 year-old Ezekiel Elliott and his 3.5 ypc (Patriots) last year.
I will go out on a paltry $1.2 mill limb and say that Rico Dowdle (and his 4.1 ypc) is the lead back by the end of the season.

Here's a signing timeline (only because I don't know what else to do with it):
  • January 17, 2024, after being released in August 2023, Malik Davis signed a reserve/future contract.
  • March 18, 2024, Rico Dowdle re-signed with the Cowboys.
  • April 16, 2024, Royce Freeman signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys.
  • April 25-27, 2024, NFL draft. (No RB taken.)
  • April 28, 2024, Nathaniel Peat signs as UDFA.
  • May 1, 2024, Ezekiel Elliott signs.

And here is the discounted deals Jerry was able to swing on his RB room. If you check other NFL RB salaries, there are 35 other RB making more before you get Elliott.

1716256015291.png

And here is a statistical breakdown:
btw Conner & Davis had zero touches.

1716256606557.png

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me foolish but I'd say it's Zeke who leads the way and Dowdle earns the #2 role. Obviously the 'Boys aren't all that interested in running the ball this season so why not just use Zeke until the tires fall off and then switch to Dowdle ?. ....

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 'Boys aren't all that interested in running the ball this season
Wasnt that argument made last year with McCarthy? Despite that Pollard miraculously had over 300 touches.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm targeting Dak everywhere I can this season

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke will get the passing down work, he's so good at blocking he played center for the last game snap he took for DAL in his previous stint

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a dumb f'n play design, and supremely poorly executed as well. I can only assume it was a hook and ladder type deal where Zeke was supposed to 'chip and leak' towards the middle of the field, get the pitch back from the receiver and then get in behind that wall that was forming at the top of the screen..but the DE laying him out right off the bat pretty much effed that plan. Nor was the receiver in any condition to make a decent pitch. Just dumb as you can get..middle school type BS.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, there was a good reason that everyone knew that any drafted RB would've been a top 5, probably top 3, if they had been drafted by Dallas. It wouldn't have mattered if that RB was Brooks, or Lloyd, or Corum, or Dylan Lauby. And that reason is that Davis, Dowdle and Duce Vaughn are all proven JAG's. None of them have anything special about them.

Dowdle is basically a bad carbon copy of a 29 year old Zeke..same speed, less vision, less instincts, less passing game chops, less strength, perhaps just a tick better 'explosiveness/quickness'
Malik Davis is basically Tony Pollard, with less everything.
Duece Vaughn is barely practice squad fodder.
And Freeman is pure and simple a decent pro level back up.

If Zeke doesn't lead this backfield in touches, it'll only be because he was injured.

That being said, it ain't saying much. Dak's right arm is likely to fall off by mid season, and they'll still make him use his left arm before they turn to a run game.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasnt that argument made last year with McCarthy? Despite that Pollard miraculously had over 300 touches.
less than 15 rush attempts per game though. 55 catches is nice and all in a PPR, but it ain't like there was a commitment in any way shape or form to a run game

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
less than 15 rush attempts per game though. 55 catches is nice and all in a PPR, but it ain't like there was a commitment in any way shape or form to a run game
I suppose my point is that in a pass-happy league where fewer and fewer RB are even coming close to 20 touches per game, for what its worth, McCarthy gave his top RB (Pollard) over 18 touches a game.

I think only 6 or 7 RB had more last season.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose my point is that in a pass-happy league where fewer and fewer RB are even coming close to 20 touches per game, for what its worth, McCarthy gave his top RB (Pollard) over 18 touches a game.

I think only 6 or 7 RB had more last season.
Tired for tenth, eleventh, and twelfth, in touches per game with Henry and Conner.

But I guess my point is, touches for RB is not a commitment to the run game, or even to the RB, carries are. it's not like most of those 55 catches were schemed to Pollard. If we're talking about a M Faulk, or an LT, CMAC, someone like that who is schemed to get the ball, intentionally, in the pass game, than sure. Those guys have multiple designed pass plays where they are the intended receiver. But when most targets are check downs, I'm just not going to assume he's going to be 'giving the RB touches'. Those just aren't dependable.

And now, with a gaggle of RB's largely considered to be inferior to what Pollard brought to the table, I certainly won't be assuming he'll scheme pass plays specifically for RB's.

And Iif those touches do go down by even just 1 or 2 a game, suddenly 16.1 touches ranks 24th in the league

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I guess my point is, touches for RB is not a commitment to the run game, or even to the RB, carries are.
Might be something we have to factor into our rankings. We'll see less and less of this.

Drafting Elliott early (mid rounds) will likely frustrate owners. Whereas drafting Dowdle late will probably be a nice stash.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be something we have to factor into our rankings. We'll see less and less of this.

Drafting Elliott early (mid rounds) will likely frustrate owners. Whereas drafting Dowdle late will probably be a nice stash.
In a redraft, Zeke should be drafted as no better than your 4th best RB, a depth option, an emergency flex option during byes, that type of stuff ..or possibly, if you fully commit to the 'zero' RB strategy, maybe he's a decent weekly starter.

If you've got the room, sure Dowdle could be a worthy roster stash, but I'd bet dollars to donuts most if not all redraft owners will cut him for the first flavor of the week that comes along week 1 or 2.

as to the generalized rankings.
.unless we're talking about a guy known for his contributions in the pass game, know that the system he's in uses him on designed screens, etc..I never account for any passing game stuff in my rankings, as I just put no stock into the 'vague possibility. Its just not significant enough to change a ranking in my book. If that particular RB ends up with a bunch, great, nice bonus for him. There are a few guys you KNOW will catch a bunch, and there are a few guys who you KNOW will not catch many at all, everything in between is a crap shoot.