• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott arrested for DUI in Starkville

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guys who are projected to be drafted somewhat highly are given loans by their agents to have some spending money before their contract is signed.
I don't know if that is true. The following is about Billy Joe Hobert:

After the success of the 1991 (University of Washington) season, Hobert became implicated in a major NCAA scandal when it was revealed he had received a series of loans totaling $50,000 made by the father-in-law of a friend while Hobert himself had no assets and no specific payment schedule. This would cost Hobert his college eligibility, and was an aggravating factor in the University receiving NCAA sanctions for lack of institutional control, in turn leading to head coach Don James resigning in protest. Although several other Huskies players were implicated in improprieties, Hobert became the most well-known face of the sanctions, leading to him receiving death threats.

Maybe the NCAA rules have changed, I don't know

Last edited:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if that is true.

After the success of the 1991 (University of Washington) season, Hobert became implicated in a major NCAA scandal when it was revealed he had received a series of loans totaling $50,000 made by the father-in-law of a friend[2] while Hobert himself had no assets and no specific payment schedule.[3] This would cost Hobert his college eligibility, and was an aggravating factor in the University receiving NCAA sanctions for lack of institutional control, in turn leading to head coach Don James resigning in protest.[3] Although several other Huskies players were implicated in improprieties, Hobert became the most well-known face of the sanctions, leading to him receiving death threats.[3]

Maybe the NCAA rules have changed.
I think Night meant players who are headed for the upcoming draft, have already signed with an agent, and have no college eligibility left.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Night meant players who are headed for the upcoming draft, have already signed with an agent, and have no college eligibility left.
Could be, I don't know the current NCAA rules.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are any of us really surprised? This happens to one or two knuckleheads a year and we still have 6 weeks to go. Recruits take notice, avoid weed and get a friend to drive you if you plan on drinking. It's really not that hard to do. It could save you millions and possibly someone's life.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if that is true. The following is about Billy Joe Hobert:

After the success of the 1991 (University of Washington) season, Hobert became implicated in a major NCAA scandal when it was revealed he had received a series of loans totaling $50,000 made by the father-in-law of a friend while Hobert himself had no assets and no specific payment schedule. This would cost Hobert his college eligibility, and was an aggravating factor in the University receiving NCAA sanctions for lack of institutional control, in turn leading to head coach Don James resigning in protest. Although several other Huskies players were implicated in improprieties, Hobert became the most well-known face of the sanctions, leading to him receiving death threats.

Maybe the NCAA rules have changed, I don't know
This is going on after declaring the draft. The period of time after walking away from being a student athlete and before being drafted. Players cannot have an agent while being a student athlete but they can at some point after the bowl games.

Time to overhaul (install?) system of NFL player-agent money dealings

NFL agents recruiting draft prospects can be cutthroat, shady business | The MMQB with Peter King

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going on after declaring the draft. The period of time after walking away from being a student athlete and before being drafted. Players cannot have an agent while being a student athlete but they can at some point after the bowl games.

Time to overhaul (install?) system of NFL player-agent money dealings

NFL agents recruiting draft prospects can be cutthroat, shady business | The MMQB with Peter King
Okay thanks for the info, but it still seems to be a gray area for me. What if the player doesn't get drafted, does he pay back the loan?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay thanks for the info, but it still seems to be a gray area for me. What if the player doesn't get drafted, does he pay back the loan?
Agents are taking advantage of a gray area. If they can get a guy with big earning potential after their rookie contract is up they stand to make millions of future dollars by investing thousands now in a non-public deal (or back room deal if you will) that only the player and agent know about. Ideally they pay the loan back but like in the Jackson deal if the two have a falling out one party may not hold up their end of the bargain especially if it is only a verbal contract.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's between the agent and the player. It's no different than getting a loan from a loan business.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get these players. You are about to be drafted, get some money flowing your way and you are hanging out in Starkville??? Wait, did I miss the gist of the story:scratch:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starkville, 12:45AM. HA, NOOB!@!!!!!!111!!!1

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guys who are projected to be drafted somewhat highly are given loans by their agents to have some spending money before their contract is signed.

Yep....you don't need to be a NFL draftee to get a car loan, but '16 Caddy, maybe you do.

As soon as my daughter graduated college apparently she went into a database of recent college graduates for car dealers. We gave her some cash for a down payment and she had 5 or 6 dealers courting her biz....she had a job already, but they didn't know that.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep....you don't need to be a NFL draftee to get a car loan, but '16 Caddy, maybe you do.

As soon as my daughter graduated college apparently she went into a database of recent college graduates for car dealers. We gave her some cash for a down payment and she had 5 or 6 dealers courting her biz....she had a job already, but they didn't know that.
It's probably leased but it's possible he could afford the downpayment and payments for a few months with the money from the type of loan we're talking about.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get these players. You are about to be drafted, get some money flowing your way and you are hanging out in Starkville??? Wait, did I miss the gist of the story:scratch:

He took the last train to Starkville and couldn't get out...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock had him sitting #5 on the QB boards, it's drinking not drugs, so he might not take that big hit on this!
Just to confirm the double standard.....
I think since he's not officially in the NFL with a team he won't be subject to the rules on that but it may hurt his draft position. Something similar happened to someone drafted last year for marijuana but I can't remember who.