• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D1 2022 Rookie draft thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubts. It takes a bunch of film study for sure, and even then, certainly no guarantees.

That's why I love watching the actual game film when those youtubers cut up the games and post every offensive play. Things like; how does that guy react to immediate penetration, what does he do when nothing is there, did he miss obvious running lanes leaving yards on the table, did he string things out to the sidelines and lose yards, or push forward and take the 1-3 yard gain, does he fall forward on those small gains that don't make the highlight reel, does he hold his own/is a willing participant in pass pro?. Everyone looks great on a highlight reel and usually those highlight reels show none of these. This guy shined, in MY eye test at least, when it wasn't an easy play. Much like N Harris and Rhamondre did last year. and Dillon and Taylor the year before, Jacobs and D. Harris the year before that. Its not foolproof by any means, Bryce Love, certainly had all those things, and many much lesser thought of Rb's also did those things, but of the more highly touted guys, those examples stick out in my head.
I agree with what you said and would add a couple of other things I look for. First I want to see them play vs a good defense if they played Alabama or Georgia then I'm watching that game for sure, but also will watch a game against a less stifling defense because some times the talent gap between the teams isn't fair to the player. Also I like to see if they depend on the player as a play maker or do they go to him simply to keep the defense honest. I simply disregard plays where the player did nothing but run for the wide open space in front of him. Those plays are worthless for evaluating a player.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that both the D1 and D2 drafts are past this player, I just want to say that the only player that seemed like the hands-down can't miss player to draft was WR Jameson Williams (DET).

From all of the draft reports and prospect editorials that I tried to saturate myself with, Williams seemed to be the consensus number 1 WR. Unfortunately, his ACL injury knocked his draft stock down. ACL injuries heal. And WR last a lot longer in the NFL.

I almost regret trading Harold in D2 for the 5th pick because Williams was my target and he was there at 5.

IMO, Williams is the player who will pay long-term fantasy dividends from this class.
I agree..and then he landed in Detroit. And in that place, he'll have to be extra special, not just best WR in this class..which I think he is

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that both the D1 and D2 drafts are past this player, I just want to say that the only player that seemed like the hands-down can't miss player to draft was WR Jameson Williams (DET).

From all of the draft reports and prospect editorials that I tried to saturate myself with, Williams seemed to be the consensus number 1 WR. Unfortunately, his ACL injury knocked his draft stock down. ACL injuries heal. And WR last a lot longer in the NFL.

I almost regret trading Harold in D2 for the 5th pick because Williams was my target and he was there at 5.

IMO, Williams is the player who will pay long-term fantasy dividends from this class.
Williams did have the best tape by far for WRs, however the injury was bad and he's got a very skinny frame at 6'2 179 and between those two things I was a bit scared of taking him that early.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
luckily for Robinson, he was behind Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs and N. Harris for 4 of his 5 years at Bama, so he's only got one season of heavy usage.
Correct.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you said and would add a couple of other things I look for. First I want to see them play vs a good defense if they played Alabama or Georgia then I'm watching that game for sure, but also will watch a game against a less stifling defense because some times the talent gap between the teams isn't fair to the player. Also I like to see if they depend on the player as a play maker or do they go to him simply to keep the defense honest. I simply disregard plays where the player did nothing but run for the wide open space in front of him. Those plays are worthless for evaluating a player.
definitely needs to be taken into account. SEC has talent defensively though, even outside of Bama or Georgia. Anyone starting on defense in an SEC school has some serious talent. Blasting Mercer university for 7 yards a carry is nowhere near as impressive as breaking a tackle for a 3-4 yard gain in the national title game against Georgia, not in my book

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree..and then he landed in Detroit. And in that place, he'll have to be extra special, not just best WR in this class..which I think he is
Worked out for Megatron.
Think of all those garbage-time yards (which I know you hate).

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worked out for Megatron.
Think of all those garbage-time yards (which I know you hate).
well Megatron is possibly the only WR in history that is worthy of discussing in the same breath as Jerry Rice..so thats how exceptional one may have to be.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My draft plan was simple... it was to get RBs...

Maybe i was wrong, but when i saw the first 4 picks all being RBs, i knew i needed to trade up to get the last of the first round potential RBs... so i had to do it... went from 7 to pick 5... and gave up my second rounder...

Looking back now in hindsight, i would have probably gotten one of Rachaad White or Spiller, if i did not trade up... but if i did not get spiller i would not have been able to make a lame joke about our namesakes....

so that alone made the trade worth it for me...

and spiller was the top available in my uninformed big board... I dont mind that he is the backup, especially since he is the backup to an elite back on an elite team who has injury concerns... that is a formula for a league winner IMO...

3.7- Kyren Williams- best RB available... and i was here to draft RBs... so... i had to take him... he is another LEAGUE WINNER nominate... as he is on an elite team, and the backs in front of him have major health questions... biggest problem i see with him is that he is more of a receiver than a rusher... and this is not PPR... and PPR backs dont generally dont get many TDs...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.08 - Skyy Moore
1.11 - Rachaad White
2.11 - Alec Pierce

Skyy Moore - I targeted a WR in a good situation with vacant targets. He might not immediately have a big role but I see one developing by mid season.

My goal going into the draft was to get at least one RB in the first round, maybe more, depending on who was available. I really took a liking to Rachaad White about 5 weeks ago so I targeted him immediately since I have Fournette. I believe White will take over next year so I have the cuff of r a year and then a potential starter next year. The process was very similar to why I targeted AJ Dillon a couple of years ago. With the other options on the board at 1.08, I felt I could risk waiting on White at 1.11

Pierce was a HUGE real life draft crush of mine that I wanted the Packers to target but I again looked at his situation. Pittman is very good but after that, there is ample opportunity for a guy that has good hands and can run good routes.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this should be pretty easy

1.04 James Cook - Wasn't really targeting him or anything we just knew we were taking a running back no matter what and I have no faith in any of them so I let my brother choose.

1.09 - traded it to Harold for Rashaad Penny and a next year's 2nd. The problem at this point was that the best value by far was wide receivers and there was just no point in us drafting one to be the WR7 on our team and Penny was a better value than any running back that was available at that point. If we had made the pick it would have been Kenny Pickett. Not because we think he was worth drafting there, but because that was the only need we really had in case this really is Brady's last year.

1.10 - 1.14 tried trading with everybody to get Kenny Pickett anyway to no avail.

Entire 2nd round - was trying to shop Cooks to take one of the other quarterbacks after Pickett went to no avail

Entire 3rd round and 4th round - moved to shopping Damien Williams since Cooks was worth more than a 3rd rounder to no avail

4.12 - was able to draft the guy I would have drafted in the 2nd round if we'd moved up in Matt Corral. He was my #2 quarterback coming out this year which still doesn't say much because of this class, but in our case it was worth taking a flier on him in case he turns out to be decent. The way I looked at it this year is that next year is a much better quarterback class, but there's also no way you would be able to get one of the top 4 quarterbacks in the 4th round of the rookie draft. If Corral ends up being nothing we have a 1st and 3 2nds next year to draft Brady's replacement.