• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D-Line

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil's reply on switching to 3-4 D.

Phil Emery:
That type of transition would require almost a total commitment in our draft and in any UFA signs toward defense. I see that as possibly unbalancing the team and not giving us the best chance to consistently compete for championships. We have a group of players who were acquired to fit within our current scheme that we run, and that is what gives us the best chance to win championships going forward.

As for our D-line now, I think moving Wooton inside hurts us even more.
The Giants ran over Shea the whole first half. He is not an NFL DE. In my mind the kid is a bust, if they continue to use him @ DE. Made Jackobbs look like Jim Brown.
We definitely need DT help, Seymore (spelling) is still out there. Don't know if the Bears could afford him. But he'd be a welcome addition.

Yeah, it's safe to say it now.

Shea is a bust. Needs a fresh start as a LB. Probably somewhere else.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's safe to say it now.

Shea is a bust. Needs a fresh start as a LB. Probably somewhere else.

From what I've read ( and was disputed heavily on the ESPN boards) Shea was hand picked by Rod, and was referred to Lovie, who in turn referred him to Phil. My belief is Phil gave Lovie his last wish. None of this can be proven unless you go to Phil directly. I doubt Shea is our #1 pick if Lovie isn't here.
But like it or not he's here. And doesn't have Rod to coach him. And yeah the bust sign is all over him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

10-6 on the backs of a re-built offense? I'll take it!
Rebuilding the D next year, was always a known variable, as far as I could tell.

You weren't thinking 16-0, were you?

Maybe I wasn't clear by "ceiling". Before the season, I figured 8-8 with a ceiling of 11-5 and a floor of 6-10. After a couple weeks, I went up to 9-7, with ceiling of 12-4 and floor of 7-9. Now, I'm thinking 7-9, ceiling 10-6, floor 5-11. Yeah, it's true, I don't think 5-11 is totally out of the question.

I'll be quite pleased if they go 10-6, and not quite ruling it out, but I'd say that's a pretty optimistic view from here.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I wasn't clear by "ceiling". Before the season, I figured 8-8 with a ceiling of 11-5 and a floor of 6-10. After a couple weeks, I went up to 9-7, with ceiling of 12-4 and floor of 7-9. Now, I'm thinking 7-9, ceiling 10-6, floor 5-11. Yeah, it's true, I don't think 5-11 is totally out of the question.

I'll be quite pleased if they go 10-6, and not quite ruling it out, but I'd say that's a pretty optimistic view from here.

Agreed, but I don't think 5-11 is the floor. I'd say it's still 6-7 wins.

They should beat St. Louis, and a few other soft teams on the schedule. Any team with a struggling offense, we should outscore. I agree, I'm struggling to find reasons for optimism for this team, but I can't see them only winning one more game. I would predict that this team wins 3 more games. STL, CLE, and MIN or PHI.

And who knows, one week ago we played New Orleans pretty tough. If Peanut and Paea are healthy next week. I think that helps the defense a lot. The offense should keep progressing. I still think 10 wins and a playoff berth is in play.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it all depends on how this Defense responds. we have some younger players on here now. i have seen terrible Defenses turn into a good defense just by everyone doing their job before, but to do that you have to have 3-4 players really be good at different levels. Like Have a Corner, a Safety a Linebacker and a Dlineman. it could happen. If we could get our defense to keep teams from scoring more than 17 we could beat anyone. But thats not going to happen.