• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D-Line

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another blow, to an already sub-par unit.

We are screwed up front.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, well if we cant get Paea and collins back we have no choice but to bring in someone like Okoye.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they want to move peppers and wooten inside. Shea looks tiny out there. If we only have one defensive tackle, then maybe its time to go to the 3-4. I know they brought in a half dozen guys when Melton went down, so there is probably someone from that list playing thursday, but eventually if you only have one defensive tackle its time to change the system. Long week and then the bye coming up will give them time and give the other teams no film to study..

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Collins out for the season.:smash:

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, this really isn't going very well. A team with no defensive line has zero chance in the playoffs. If Jacksonville was the Super Bowl opponent, that would be one thing...but...

C

cubzzzfanincali

they want to move peppers and wooten inside. Shea looks tiny out there. If we only have one defensive tackle, then maybe its time to go to the 3-4. I know they brought in a half dozen guys when Melton went down, so there is probably someone from that list playing thursday, but eventually if you only have one defensive tackle its time to change the system. Long week and then the bye coming up will give them time and give the other teams no film to study..

this makes ZERO sense. We lost the big guys on the d line (the tackles), not the ends. You use a 3-4 when your line guys are big enough to cover two gaps. If anything, (not that this will happen) we need a 5-2, not a 3-4.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will go nowhere with this d-line.

This is the most "empty win", in recent memory.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game was so frustrating. Our D-Line is terrible. They can use injuries as excuses all they want, but Shea is a complete bust, Peppers is overrated, and Wootton's a total underachiever. This is the weakest Bears DL that I can remember.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game was so frustrating. Our D-Line is terrible. They can use injuries as excuses all they want, but Shea is a complete bust, Peppers is overrated, and Wootton's a total underachiever. This is the weakest Bears DL that I can remember.

I regretfully agree.

Peppers has done nothing. A worthless sack/ff with time expiring in the half, that resulted in a FG, and a fumble return for a TD, that fell in his arms, had a stiff arm-to-seperation that barely bared mentioning.

That's it.

In six games.

If he has six tackles, I'd be shocked.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our underachieving DE Wooten started at DT...he's maybe 270? What a mess at DT.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, our defense is probably an average NFL defense.

Problem is, we are used to have a top 5 defense so it seems so much worse.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as far as this team goes, this year and 2009 are the worst 2 defensive units the Bears have had since probably the mid 90s.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, Bostic got to play, but fourth quarter also had Costanza at Andersons spot too. I think I heard Bostics name three times out of the first 4 plays, saw him beating the ground when he got blocked by a guard.

My question is pretty simple. All the experts are saying that Shea will be the only player to benefit from changing to a 3-4 defense. (Alex Brown basically ripped him out of town on the score this morning) But the thing is, we have no defensive tackles and last I heard is you only need one when you play the 3-4. Wooten and Peppers have been playing inside during passing downs anyway. Doesnt it seem like more than just Shea would benefit and this "change the defense for one player" argument should be the Trestman slogan of put players in the best position to excel?

Also, what defense does Mel Tucker actually run? Is he a cover 2 guy?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No NFL team is going to switch defensive schemes in the middle of the season.

C

cubzzzfanincali

In a 3-4, your DEs need to be bigger than these guys. I mean, yeah, you CAN do it, but it is far from ideal. 3-4 D linemen are typically bigger than 4-3 guys like ours.

Our run defense was TERRIBLE last night. I think Tucker's response is going to be to much more consistently stack the box more. There's going to be more man coverage on the outside. The Washington game? Expect 8 man boxes with the guys stacked closer than normal. Stacking the box by itself doesn't fix the obvious pass rush problems, which is the main issue I see being wrong with the pass defense, but we simply will not win if RBs like Jacobs running behind bad lines like New York's gash us that badly.

I don't even want to think about Green Bay right now. Calvin Johnson? Dallas? Yeah unless our offense takes it up another couple of notches, our ceiling is 10-6 and down from there.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this thread reminds me of reading Packers fans talking about the 2011 Packers defense... no pass rush/sacks and lived off of turnovers.... but at rate Bears are scoring defensive TDs will score several more than the Packers did that year (5).

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our ceiling is 10-6 and down from there.

10-6 on the backs of a re-built offense? I'll take it!
Rebuilding the D next year, was always a known variable, as far as I could tell.

You weren't thinking 16-0, were you?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a 3-4, your DEs need to be bigger than these guys. I mean, yeah, you CAN do it, but it is far from ideal. 3-4 D linemen are typically bigger than 4-3 guys like ours.

Our run defense was TERRIBLE last night. I think Tucker's response is going to be to much more consistently stack the box more. There's going to be more man coverage on the outside. The Washington game? Expect 8 man boxes with the guys stacked closer than normal. Stacking the box by itself doesn't fix the obvious pass rush problems, which is the main issue I see being wrong with the pass defense, but we simply will not win if RBs like Jacobs running behind bad lines like New York's gash us that badly.

I don't even want to think about Green Bay right now. Calvin Johnson? Dallas? Yeah unless our offense takes it up another couple of notches, our ceiling is 10-6 and down from there.

Yeah, I agree.

There's really no reason why we should beat Green Bay. Not a single damned reason. I actually think we'll drop the game in Washington.

I think things might start to head downhill fast. The offense is going to have to be REALLY good if this team is going to win double digit games.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil's reply on switching to 3-4 D.

Phil Emery:
That type of transition would require almost a total commitment in our draft and in any UFA signs toward defense. I see that as possibly unbalancing the team and not giving us the best chance to consistently compete for championships. We have a group of players who were acquired to fit within our current scheme that we run, and that is what gives us the best chance to win championships going forward.

As for our D-line now, I think moving Wooton inside hurts us even more.
The Giants ran over Shea the whole first half. He is not an NFL DE. In my mind the kid is a bust, if they continue to use him @ DE. Made Jackobbs look like Jim Brown.
We definitely need DT help, Seymore (spelling) is still out there. Don't know if the Bears could afford him. But he'd be a welcome addition.