• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D-Backs, Cubs Expected To Discuss Samardzija Trade

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Backs, Cubs Expected To Discuss Samardzija Trade

By Charlie Wilmoth [November 4, 2013 at 6:07pm CST]
The Cubs will likely continue to discuss trading starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija to the Diamondbacks, ESPN's Buster Olney tweets. It now appears unlikely that the Cubs will sign Samardzija to an extension, so with only two years remaining before he hits free agency, it makes sense that a rebuilding team might look to trade him.

After pitching in relief in 2011, Samardzija has emerged as a solid starter in the past two seasons, posting a 4.34 ERA in 2013, but with 9.0 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9. If the Cubs were to deal him, he ought to be able to return good young talent. The Cubs did consider dealing him at last year's trading deadline, but they were reportedly asking a lot. CBS Sports' Jon Heyman wrote then that if the Cubs were unable to sign Samardzija in the offseason, a winter trade would be likely.

I am not a big Samardzija fan. If we could get him for anything less than Skaggs while shipping out one or two of Cahill/McCarthy/Ross/Putz/Bell, I am all for it. Any combination of Holmberg/Anderson/Spruill with Marte & few lower ranked prospects would be my preference. Samajenjrrndja still has 2 years of team control till he is a FA.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Samardzija at all. Most overrated pitcher in the MLB, imo. I don't care about his K rate.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he was a WR. Not a tight end.

But anyways, please take Samardzija. I'd rather have your prospects.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he was a WR. Not a tight end.

But anyways, please take Samardzija. I'd rather have your prospects.

You are correct. My sincerest apologies. How dare I forget what position he played for a pointless football team! Thank goodness the football gods threw ND fans a bone because they would still be touting victories prior to World War II!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dbacks would be smarter to just sign AJ Burnett. He wouldn't cost any prospects and he strikes out more hitters.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. My sincerest apologies. How dare I forget what position he played for a pointless football team! Thank goodness the football gods threw ND fans a bone because they would still be touting victories prior to World War II!

You're welcome.

And since the start of WW2 we have 8 National Titles.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ is in Pittsburgh or retire mode. Besides, KT wants controllable SP(s) that are 30 or younger. And we couldn't fit AJ under our payroll. Some fans seem to forget that 60% of MLB teams work within a limited budget.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jeff Samardzija is that great - he's got some electric stuff but he's so inconsistent - he's not someone that's going to upgrade the D-Backs

I'm not sure what the D-Backs have been thinking lately - they pursue really odd players that looking from the outside, don't really look like guys that can truly help them make the next step

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jeff Samardzija is that great - he's got some electric stuff but he's so inconsistent - he's not someone that's going to upgrade the D-Backs

I'm not sure what the D-Backs have been thinking lately - they pursue really odd players that looking from the outside, don't really look like guys that can truly help them make the next step

Our GM has decided that he wants "gritty" players (AKA, cheap players with questionable talent). He'll sign or trade for anyone that is "gritty", regardless of their position.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just need Hudson back to full strength, Skaggs to perform like he is capable of doing and Corbin to progress into a Cy Young type pitcher. Honestly I could care less about McCarthy and Cahill.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our GM has decided that he wants "gritty" players (AKA, cheap players with questionable talent). He'll sign or trade for anyone that is "gritty", regardless of their position.

That Justin Upton/Chris Johnson trade looks absolutely horrendous along with the other trade they had made - Didi Gregorius might be a solid defender but he can't hit out of a paper bag - the D-Backs basically traded two good hitters that could have helped them get into the playoffs instead of being a .500 team

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Justin Upton/Chris Johnson trade looks absolutely horrendous along with the other trade they had made - Didi Gregorius might be a solid defender but he can't hit out of a paper bag - the D-Backs basically traded two good hitters that could have helped them get into the playoffs instead of being a .500 team

I wound't say that trade was horrendous. Martin Prado had close to a career year with us and was ahead of Upton in many offensive categories. As of Johnson I always wanted to keep him, but who knew he would hit like .320?? His power numbers were still better in AZ than it was in ATL. And I dont agree with you on Didi. He has gold glove potential but he also has about 10-15 homer and .280-.290 avg potential.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin upton is smoke and mirrors! Yes he has about 2 1/2 months of brilliant baseball but what about the other three months? How can he help a team get to the playoffs when the guy goes 1-4 with 2K's half of the season! Prado was a great pickup and has completely exceeded my expectations! I wanted to keep Johnson but he was just a causalty of the business.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the Cubs and D-Backs make decent trade partners here. As has been mentioned the D-Backs have a lot of pitching depth. Samardzija is a #2/3 starter meaning he fits is in the top 45-75 range if you start ranking starting pitchers. It makes no sense for the Cubs to trade him unless they get someone with a higher upside. It makes no sense for the D-Backs to give up a pitcher with higher upside, Badley being the only pitching prospect I would give that label to, unless Samardzija puts the D-Backs in position to make a World Series run in the next two years, before Samardzija hits FA.

I think we can all agree that Samardzija would not be the final piece for Arizana. The D-Backs have several good position player prospects, but the Cubs system is loaded with very good position player prospects with 4 of the top 30 prospects in baseball being Cubs' 3B, SS, RF and CF prospects. Unless Towers sees Samardzija as a top of the rotation arm there is no way Arizona should be looking to trade for him.

The Royals, who have a narrow window, because they won't be able to re-sign Shields or keep their young core together when they start getting arbitration raises, and are in desperate win now mode, will make a better offer to fit with the Cubs' organizational needs. The Blue Jays, who are also in win now mode after their trades last season, will be looking to go all-in this season and can also offer a better package matching up team needs. The only way the Cubs and D-Backs make any sense is if the Cubs are willing to take something like Delgado, Chafin, Owings and Davidson in a package that would improve their ability to trade for David Price without their farm taking as big of a hit.

The market value of pitchers like Samardzija has drastically increased recently. Look at the Lincecum contract. Did anyone think Shields would net Wil Myers, much less also include Jake Odorizzi and other pieces? The Blue Jays gave up a ton for a 38 year old pitcher who had averaged 3.1 fWAR the previous three seasons. If Arizona is going to give up Bradley they might as well go big and go after David Price. I believe the Cubs-Arizona rumor was leaked more to boost the offers the Cubs are getting from other teams then because those two teams are seriously talking about him.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How does the trade look horrendous? Prado had a better year than Upton. Upton has more HR(s) but he hit almost all of them in 2 months. The other 4 months of the season he hit 7 HR(s) while batting about .245 with 107 SO(s). Chris Johnson offensive production was a surprise. Who knew a lifetime .280 hitter was going to hit .321? No one. But then there is the other side of the coin for Chris Johnson, his defense. Statistically, he is one of the worst 3B defensively in baseball. Prado, while being middle of the road defensively, was a huge upgrade defensively over Johnson.

Then there are all the other pieces that came back with Prado.

Delgado- He had an up & down season but is still young(23) & put good number for a #5 SP. He will be in the starting rotation & could end up being a decent #3 SP in the future.

Spruill- He was mostly in AAA, but pitched well there & could be a decent #4-5 SP. Will likely be a good trade trip this offseason.

Drury- 21yr old 3B that tore up Single-A this year. Thought of as a throw-in as part of the draft.

Ahmed- 23yr old SS that was just awarded the Silver Glove as the best fielding SS in all of the minors. Likely will be a another good trading chip this offseason.

You think that because the Dbacks didn't make the playoffs, that trade wasn't good for the team. That couldn't be further from the truth. The trade has nothing to do with why the Dbacks didn't make the playoffs. Injuries & poor years from established players like Montero, Kubel & Ross are the reasons. Having Justin "I only get hot for 2 months" Upton & Chris "I am made of stone" Johnson on the team would not have gotten them to the playoffs.

And the Bauer trade, do we really need to discuss this? When Bauer makes the MLB his permanent home, then we can discuss this. Till then he needs to throw pitches over the plate & lose his attitude.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont like this trade
Please dont towers