• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cut Ridley?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the chances he gets meaningful carries again? I don't really need another RB but there are a couple of potentially more useful players in FA (Vareen, Colston, Jordan Reed, few others). I'm leaning towards cutting him but I'd hate for him to be useful to someone else. He's the best RB the Pats have and would be solid if he stops fumbling but I'm not sure if the Pats give him any more chances

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call..I'd say he won't be anymore useful to one if you're opponents than Vereen will be. ... And both could be dangerous on any given week. Guess it's 50/50 either way, but my gut would bank on Vereen

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant cut him....but you cant trust him either

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust him more than vereen... But thats not saying much...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vereen is the clear best NE back. He won't ever be the every down back, but there are three guys they are willing to put in that role. No one takes vereen's job.

Also, the fact that Ridley keeps having fumbling issues makes it hard for him to stay on Belichick's good side. When Blount and bolden are both capable, one fumble can have Ridley done real fast. You'll neveR be able to play him with that on his shoulders IMO.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In ppr or standard? I can understand standard...but not ppr

Both!!! vereens usage is going to be very inconsistent- if he is mainly a receiving back, Brady loves the short passes to edelman and amendola, not to mention the often short passes to thompkins and dobson... So there is a lot of players that Brady likes to go to with those short passes... Ridley is more likely to have more touches... therefore ridley is more likely to get more yards and more likely to get a TD... just because vereen catches more balls does not make him more valuable in PPR... Yards and TDs are more important!!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vereen is the clear best NE back. He won't ever be the every down back, but there are three guys they are willing to put in that role. No one takes vereen's job.

Also, the fact that Ridley keeps having fumbling issues makes it hard for him to stay on Belichick's good side. When Blount and bolden are both capable, one fumble can have Ridley done real fast. You'll neveR be able to play him with that on his shoulders IMO.

Everyone has a short leash with belichek, but wouldnt you think vereen bolden and blount would have shorter leashes since they are not as good of an every down back is ridley??

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both!!! vereens usage is going to be very inconsistent- if he is mainly a receiving back, Brady loves the short passes to edelman and amendola, not to mention the often short passes to thompkins and dobson... So there is a lot of players that Brady likes to go to with those short passes... Ridley is more likely to have more touches... therefore ridley is more likely to get more yards and more likely to get a TD... just because vereen catches more balls does not make him more valuable in PPR... Yards and TDs are more important!!!

I understand your thought process but I disagree...especially since Vereen has outscored Ridley since his return...and the fact Ridley gets benched after every fumble. The kid cant hold onto the ball....while Vereen catches balls...in PPR...that makes Vereen more trust worthy in my book. Maybe if it was a different coach that didnt bench Ridley after every fumble than I might agree...but in PPR you want a back that catches balls...Ridley catching no balls and fumbling makes him less trust worthy. Vereen has a 100 yd rushing game under his belt already this season in relief of Ridley who was benched for fumbling.....yeah...rant over. I personally would trust Vereen over Ridley...but respect your opinion.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has a short leash with belichek, but wouldnt you think vereen bolden and blount would have shorter leashes since they are not as good of an every down back is ridley??

Ridley has the shortest leash. It's not close.

He has fumbling problems stacked up and no one else does.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Vereen could be a better every down back. Ridley was just given the opportunity last year because of Vereen being inactive for most of the time due to injury and inconstancy in practice...but since has done everything he needs to do to get playing time. He has won over his coaches...and with his catching ability is very valuable on a team known for its passing game more than its running. Lets not forget Vereen was the higher draft pick last year...so they viewed Vereen as their guy even before they drafted Ridley 2 rounds later. Not that that really means much in terms of production...but it shows what they thought of him.

Until ridley stops fumbling, he just cant be trusted. Its a crap shoot with him now. Boom or bust. I wouldnt be surprised if his benching carries over to next week either.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be mad if they give up on Ridley completely. I honestly don't think he's a better back than Blount, and the fumbles are just too much.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be mad if they give up on Ridley completely. I honestly don't think he's a better back than Blount, and the fumbles are just too much.

Blount has fumbling issues too. Vereen is a dependable play in standard leagues. I would put him right near the same level as Woodhead. You can bank on him for a handful of touches in space and he is a safe bet for 50 + yards with the upside of 100 + and a score. You could do a lot worse with your flex spot.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blount has fumbling issues too. Vereen is a dependable play in standard leagues. I would put him right near the same level as Woodhead. You can bank on him for a handful of touches in space and he is a safe bet for 50 + yards with the upside of 100 + and a score. You could do a lot worse with your flex spot.

I would disagree 100% at Vereen being at same level as woodhead... Woodhead has been a fantasy monster, i would be shocked if vereen is anthing past a flex option...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In New England, ridley's issues have been greater. Not just number, but timing and outcome wise.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree 100% at Vereen being at same level as woodhead... Woodhead has been a fantasy monster, i would be shocked if vereen is anthing past a flex option...

I did say near the same level.

They will both get similar touches, the difference is whether or not Vereen can get in the end zone. Since he got a carry from the 1 last week, I see no reason why he can't. Vereen is clearly the back to own in NE's committee, just like Woodhead is the man in SD's despite non-traditional RB roles.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im not getting this at all....anything past a flex option? Cmon man...have you seen his numbers? And in limited time also...based on my leagues scoring for 1 pt ppr...3 games played...22.90, 15.20, and 17.10 pts scored. And in all 3 of those games Ridleys numbers have suffered...3.60, 9.80, and .40.

Hardly flex...and more like....definite starter. In fact its very Woodhead like...they both have the same roles on their teams....and Vereen imo is in the better situation to thrive. I have been stashing him all season and picked him up in any and all leagues he was available....and it has immediately payed off. Too be honest.....there really isnt a debate to be had here...besides debating your opinion....which is way off in this case. Numbers dont lie...and the numbers stack against your claims tremendously.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not getting this at all....anything past a flex option? Cmon man...have you seen his numbers? And in limited time also...based on my leagues scoring for 1 pt ppr...3 games played...22.90, 15.20, and 17.10 pts scored. And in all 3 of those games Ridleys numbers have suffered...3.60, 9.80, and .40.

Hardly flex...and more like....definite starter. In fact its very Woodhead like...they both have the same roles on their teams....and Vereen imo is in the better situation to thrive. I have been stashing him all season and picked him up in any and all leagues he was available....and it has immediately payed off. Too be honest.....there really isnt a debate to be had here...besides debating your opinion....which is way off in this case. Numbers dont lie...and the numbers stack against your claims tremendously.

The best part about this argument is that we will actually see... I have no faith in Vereen... maybe i am wrong... But lets see what he does for the rest of the season with that crowded RB and WR situation... It is not like they have any studs that are clear starters... Anyone can steal the show...

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part about this argument is that we will actually see... I have no faith in Vereen... maybe i am wrong... But lets see what he does for the rest of the season with that crowded RB and WR situation... It is not like they have any studs that are clear starters... Anyone can steal the show...
Maybe...I just know I have been burned by Ridley over and over...but not Vereen in the 3 times I have needed him...I bought into what the offseason reports were saying about Vereen..how he was to be used in a Woodhead style way...and they want to try and use him like the Packers use Cobb for the medium underneath routes..and so far they havent disappointed me seeing as he has 3 games with 7, 8, and 8 receptions...

Btw here is a quote from Mcdaniels today. Doesnt really screem start him.

(Rotoworld)Patriots OC Josh McDaniels spoke about Stevan Ridley's fumbling issues on Tuesday, but shed little light on his Week 13 status.Analysis: "When things happen like this, in back-to-back games - or in this case a few games in a row - I think you certainly have to address what you can address in terms of trying to fix the problem," McDaniels said obliquely. "I have great confidence in Stevan as a runner. ... At the same time, obviously, ball security is the most important factor for our offense and for our team when we have the ball." McDaniels is talking in circles, but what he didn't say - we're moving forward with Ridley as our No. 1 back - speaks volumes. ESPN Boston expects a three-man rotation at the Patriots' "big back" position against the Texans, and we agree. It's quite possible Brandon Bolden will lead the way, with Ridley and fellow fumbler LeGarrettte Blount being mixed in lightly. It's impossible to see the Pats trusting Ridley in the red zone, leaving him as a low-end FLEX option.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only 1 player (aside from Brady) with a more stable role in NE's offense than Vereen. That is Gronk. Vereen is going to be involved every week. Is he immune to dud games, absolutely not, but there is not another player on the roster who brings the same skill set that Vereen has.